Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Retina Screen - What Are My Options?

• 23-05-2014 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Bought a MacBook Pro Late 2013 a couple of months ago and the screen has broken.

It was working perfectly, then a black smudge appeared on the screen out of the blue as I was using it.

Brought it to CompUb and they said it isn't covered under warranty as it is physical damage. I agree it appears to be physical damage but nothing happened to it at the time of the smudge appearing, which is slightly annoying. Perhaps the damage was done prior to the smudge appearing but nothing comes to mind in terms of a bang or a bump.

Anyway, they quoted me a price of €550 to fix the screen, which as an unemployed student would take me the best part of a year to save up. I'm just wondering, do I have any cheaper alternatives? Or are CompUb my only option?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

I'd check the likes of ifixit.com for the replacement instructions and then go look on ebay for the replacement parts (there are many other sites that sell replacement parts). This is of course assuming you are up to doing the repair yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Contact apple directly. They may be willing to repair under warranty. Worth a phone call!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hey guys,

Bought a MacBook Pro Late 2013 a couple of months ago and the screen has broken.

It was working perfectly, then a black smudge appeared on the screen out of the blue as I was using it.

Brought it to CompUb and they said it isn't covered under warranty as it is physical damage. I agree it appears to be physical damage but nothing happened to it at the time of the smudge appearing, which is slightly annoying. Perhaps the damage was done prior to the smudge appearing but nothing comes to mind in terms of a bang or a bump.

Anyway, they quoted me a price of €550 to fix the screen, which as an unemployed student would take me the best part of a year to save up. I'm just wondering, do I have any cheaper alternatives? Or are CompUb my only option?

Thanks.
    Feck. There weren't many 'unemployed students' buying MacBook Pro's in my day!

Of course, there was no such thing as a MacBook Pro in my day, but how and ever....
    :D

Advertisement