Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing History Essays?????

• 23-05-2014 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

I was talking to my mate today and he was saying he didn't have some essays prepared for American History. Just wandering if it would be alright is I share my essays with him. He does OL and I do HL, and mine are 4pages while Ordinary only has to be halve that. Obviously they won't be the same but paraphrased. Is this alright? I was talking to some people who say don't, but I talk to some people who say that their teacher gives them the essay and they copied it. One lad (who did his lc 2 years ago) said his class of 19 went in with the same essays learnt off! When I talked to that lad, I asked my Dad about it, because I was pissed (I've had to write all my own essays by myself), and he told me when he did in his A-Levels that everyone learnt what the teacher gave them. Are you allowed to learn off by rote what your teacher gave you? Can't help but feel I'm being marked against people whose essays have been written by their teacher. Don't mean to sound so stuck up but can't help but feel that I've wasted a lot of my time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Examiners get scripts by pack from each school, so if they're getting the same identical or nearly identical "essay" from a whole class, how do you think they're gonna mark them?

Plus people who learn off essays by rote tend to just parrot them off verbatim as soon as they see a phrase in the question which looks relevant, and usually lose chunks of marks because they don't really answer the question.

I'm not in favour of learning essays off, even your own. Do them out in bullet points or mind-maps or whatever method suits you, you'll remember them much better and find it much easier on the day to adapt to address the actual question asked.

Advertisement