Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 hour layover in chicago enough time to catch a connecting flight to san fran??

• 23-05-2014 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I am hoping someone can help with this. I am going to san Francisco in August for a mates wedding and was hoping to fly direct, but because of outlandish prices it looks like i am going to have to get a connecting flight from chicago to keep it within budget.

The flight path for the most reasonably priced flight gives me a layover in Chicago of two and a half hours but i am wondering if this is sufficient time to go to the carousel to collect my bags, bring them to the check in desk and still have time to make the connecting flight. It seems like it could be cutting it quiet tight especially considering Chicago airport is huge. (Im guessing) I am also not sure if i would have to clear immigration for a second time in chicago as well which could be very time consuming.

I got caught out before connecting for another flight in heathrow before with a two hour layover and missed my flight. However about this happening in the UK, if it was to happen in Chicago, i could find myself in an awful pickle with the price of flights.

The connecting flight is with the same airline, American Airlines, but I have no idea if this makes any difference.

Thanks
    Subscriber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Are you booking it all on one ticket? If so you will not see your bags again until you land at SFO- you will be checked in the whole way. You will also clear customs etc on Irish soil before departing so that speeds up things massively at the other end when you arrive. I think you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Are you booking it all on one ticket? If so you will not see your bags again until you land at SFO- you will be checked in the whole way. You will also clear customs etc on Irish soil before departing so that speeds up things massively at the other end when you arrive. I think you'll be grand.

Thanks, Ya its all going to be booked on one ticket, all with the same airline / travel company, so im guessing the only thing I have to worry about is getting off one plane and making my way directly to the departure gate for the next flight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

subscriber wrote: »
    Thanks, Ya its all going to be booked on one ticket, all with the same airline / travel company, so im guessing the only thing I have to worry about is getting off one plane and making my way directly to the departure gate for the next flight?

Basically yes. If it happens your Dublin flight is late arriving and you miss the connecting one they will rebook you automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Basically yes. If it happens your Dublin flight is late arriving and you miss the connecting one they will rebook you automatically.

I understand. The worry with this is though, there may not be another flight out to san francisco for many hours later... It may be a risk i will have to take.

Advertisement