Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Visa Oz 189

Options
  • 23-05-2014 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just want to share my experience and some info regarding the process for applying for a Skilled Migrant Visa for Oz (as I depended on forums like this when I started a few months back!)
    I'm in Ireland and want to head over to Oz for a few year.
    As I'm 31 and applying from Ireland the only option really for me was an Independent 189 visa. Emailed a few agencies regarding the process. They were quoting high prices as they would clearly be getting a huge cut. So after research online I decided to go solo and it's worked out fine for me! Beware it takes a fair few months to gather the information and costs a fair bit before you can even submit an EOI (Expression of Interest) on the Australian
    1) Your qualification needs to be on the Skilled Assessment List (Im Secondary School Teacher) You need to be assessed by the governing party in Oz....this took 10 weeks from date I posted all my documentation. Gathering the docs took over two weeks prior to this! I needed certified results from college, certified parchments, certified letters from schools proving employment etc
    2) The English Test (which is compulsory for points) have limited availability. I was waiting 6 weeks to get a slot in Cork. The General English Test is sufficient. It's tricky enough! Plenty of practice test available ( I got a book from UCD) Took two weeks after this for results.
    APPLY FOR ENGLISH TEST STRAIGHT AWAY.....
    Once you meet the 60 point mark you can submit your EOI via the website. I had most of the application filled out online and ready to send. Then immediately upon results of English Test which are available online I submitted my EOI as they only give out offers on the 2nd and 4th monday (Oz time) per month.

Once you've been offered Visa, youve 60 days to accept.
    Next:
    3) Need Garda clearance cert (easy to get....go into garda station and fill out form)
    4) Need a medical. They wont let you take medical until you've been offered a visa as you need your visa reference number for this.
    All in all, it's taken3.5 months to go from preping docs to being offered visa.....
    Im awaiting case officer etc now so hopefully visa will be approved in the next 8-10 weeks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Thanks for the info.

Do you know how long you have to enter Australia once the visa is approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

NZ_2014 wrote: »
    Do you know how long you have to enter Australia once the visa is approved?

I believe you have a year to activate the visa starting from the date of the medical or garda clearance cert (whichever came first). I could be corrected on this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cicici

Ya my understanding is same! Your Garda clearance and medical are valid for one year only so you need to activate visa within a year from date of whichever expires first. That's why they don't let you take medical before visa is granted. Once you have visa you can come and go as you please for 5 years then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mminor

Well done on getting the visa by yourself! How much did it end up costing you?

Good question! I dread to think what the answer to that question is! But I took my time and payed bit by bit for the different requirements so didnt feel the pinch as bad! I'll add it up over the weekend and I'll come back to ya on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

mminor wrote: »
    Well done on getting the visa by yourself! How much did it end up costing you?

It cost me $5000 for mine. Applied in December 2013 and granted January 2014.

Just as a note, the IELTS test is not compulsory if you're Irish. We automatically meet the minimum requirements. However, if you don't meet the 60 points test then the IELTS is a relatively straight forward way of gathering 10 points if you average a 7 in the 4 tests or 20 points if you average an 8 or higher.

Without the IELTS I wouldn't have got my 189 visa, but 2.5 years more relevant working experience and I wouldn't have needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tipp2222

Hi ,

Does anyone now how many points you get from getting your Chartered Accounting Exams recognised?
    10 or 15 points?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

I presume you mean you are a qualified CA. If that is the case you would get 15 points. I am ACCA and had no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tipp2222

jockey#1 wrote: »
    I presume you mean you are a qualified CA. If that is the case you would get 15 points. I am ACCA and had no issues!

Yeah sorry that's what I meant !:) thanks..

Did you get points for your work experience in Ireland on top of that also?

Not in my case as i didnt have 3 years post qualified experience but i made up for lack of points by doing IELTS english test and my aussie experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Generally, how long will it take from being offered an invitation, to getting your visa?

Hi I'm back to say that I've FINALLY received by visa today!
    So the date of application was 28 June 2014. i was assigned a case officer 16th September so i was waiting almost 12 weeks for CO.
    They requested tax documents for the past 4 years and I also had to fill out a very long and detailed form about myself which they posted on my EOI page.
    Anyhow finally today 20th October I received a grant notification.
    I have until June 19th to enter Oz. I can back date this to the day my Medical results in Cork were released so this confirms you have a year from earliest date on wither medical or garda clearance.
    It has been a long and slow process but I'm so glad I didn't pay an agent as it's possible to do it solo provided your patient!
    So i've my skilled visa 189 for the next five years!
    Happy days and off I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

Hi!

Congrats on getting your visa! I am at the beginning of this very long drawn out process, and my question is roughly how much the whole thing costs?

I know this is an old post now but if you could give me any kind of idea that would be great!

Thanks

Ok well the visa itself cost me just short of €2,500
    Certified College Results €120
    Degree Partchments NUI €100
    Teaching Council Australia Skilled assessment €500
    ELTS Exam Cork €190
    Medical Chest Xray €85
    Medical Doc Exam €200
    Approx €100 to get all docs certified like passport, pictures, letters of employment, college results etc etc etc

OMG When you put it all together it's not far off €4000
    Esp when you consider I've probably forgotten a few bits as the process began so long ago back in Feb!
    However I honestly didn't feel the pinch (bar the visa payment) as I took my time and the payments were all at different stages....
    I wonder how much more you'd have to pay for an agent? Defo not worth it/don't need an agent
    I wish you the very best of luck and if I can help you with anything just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

cicici wrote: »
    OMG When you put it all together it's not far off €4000

Well worth it for 5 years in oz and option of a Ozzie passport at the end :)

wow that sounds well worth it as the last guy said!

I'm a bit apprehensive about my SOL occupation choice. I fear that my experience only reflects a few aspects of the occupation description on the current list, I really hope it works out for me

Thanks for your best wishes & congrats again

I'll definitely take up your offer of advice if I have a question along the way!

Hi again!

I wonder if you could answer another question for me- Ive been told that WA are stricter on their requirements for skilled workers immigrating there and they require a couple to have settling funds of approx AUD$35,000 in either liquid or physical assets. I wasn't aware of this before and wonder if it is something you had to provide proof of as part of your visa application?

Thanks!

No need for proof. I was granted a 189 during September and I wasn't asked for any.
    I wouldn't state lower than the $35,000 in your application though. They expect that you'll have sufficient funds to support yourself in the event that you can't get work straight away.

great thanks!

Congrats by the way! did you receive your invitation to apply for the visa fairly quickly? I know its all relevant to the demand for your chosen occupation but Im just curious

It took about two weeks to get the invitation, three months to be assigned a case officer, and then two weeks for the grant after submitting medicals and garda clearance certs. I waited a very long time for the CO as there was a bad backlog at the time. I know others were granted approval within a month of submitting their application. Check pomsinoz to see the current application timelines. People regularly post their application progress.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the heads up!

What line of work are you in? I know trades etc are usually more in demand, not sure how fast they'll want someone from the CSOL general occupation like myself

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Hi there, congrats on the visa, you're prob off enjoying yourself in Oz now & not looking at Boards.ie. I, also, am 31 and have just started the visa search. I had gone ahead & started filling out the EOI form without realising the extent of background doc's req'd!
    I'm a qualified chartered accountant with 1 years post qual experience. I guess I need to get this approved by the relevant institution in Oz. How do I go about this?
    Guess I'll apply for the english test too... I read during the post that you need min of 60points to apply? How does one add up the points in the form to see if you're close?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whatif...

Also, when I was filling in the educational bit on the form, the highest option seemed to be doctorate & then masters. Not sure how to fill in Chartered Accountant qualification here?

You will need to get your skills assessed by ICAA or CPA. I believe you also need to provide an IELTS result of at least 7 before they will do the skills assessment.

When my skills were assessed i received 15 points for my accounting qualification, the equivalent of a bachelor degree.

To be fair all the information regarding how to calculate points etc is available on the immigration website and ICAA are helpful too when you have any queries.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gav26

After you sent in your documents did you have to do a practical exam or interview?

Advertisement