Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTLDR missing

Options
  • 23-05-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Trying to set up an old laptop to use with my TV as the screen is broken. When I start the laptop up, I just get this message:

NTLDR missing press CTRL ALT DEL to restart

I know this is something to do with the OS being messed up. Thats fine as I wanted to wipe it and install windows again anyway. Problem is though, it just jumps straight to this message and wont allow me to get into BIOS to setup the boot options.

Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/ntldrmissingxp.htm
    Try 4 and 5 options, in the link above.

pcsupport.about.com/od/termss/g/system_file.htm

Maybe reinstall windows if you have the windows os disk.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Windows XP users
    Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the example below we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
    Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

IF you choose to reinstall Windows it will format disk ,and delete your data ,
    unless you use reinstall use existing disk ,do not format disk option.

ON most laptops, press del.or f2, or f8, f9 to acess bios menu.
    This info is displayed onscreen before windows loads ,for maybe 2 seconds
    eg press delete key to use boot . bios menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You can try getting into bios by tapping on some key immediately after powering on. The usual keys are Esc/Del/F1/F2/F10,
    just try tapping one of these during boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Google your model no
    eg acess bios menu dell 5150 laptop .

Advertisement