Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major supermarket chain to move into former Besco premises

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Iceland I hear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote: »
    Iceland I hear.

Since when did Iceland have a bakery, deli and a cafe tho?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sully wrote: »

They don't...unless its some new format?

My bets are on Tesco express, they'll likely hope to take some business away from Supervalue in the Hypermarket...though parking will likely be an issue for them.

Ah, just what Waterford needs....another Tesco :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »

Ya, Iceland doesn't necessarily make sense, just what I heard.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cabaal wrote: »
    They don't...unless its some new format?

My bets are on Tesco express, they'll likely hope to take some business away from Supervalue in the Hypermarket...though parking will likely be an issue for them.

Ah, just what Waterford needs....another Tesco :pac:

That's what the local media are reporting anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Nothing makes sense. Its a terrible spot with 0 free parking.

All the chains mentioned have tons of cash to pick Grade A locations.

Tesco are being slaughtered by Aldi and i doubt they would move in 30 seconds walk from them where Aldi has parking.

Whoever goes in there has some serious competition. Dealz or one of those shops with something different to offer might move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Parking shouldn't be an issue for a tesco express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Nothing makes sense. Its a terrible spot with 0 free parking.

All the chains mentioned have tons of cash to pick Grade A locations.

Tesco are being slaughtered by Aldi and i doubt they would move in 30 seconds walk from them where Aldi has parking.

Whoever goes in there has some serious competition. Dealz or one of those shops with something different to offer might move.

Dealz arent a supermarket though...quinnsworth i heard ..

Its either Tesco,supervalu,aldi,lidl,dunnes,they are they big players when it comes to supermarkets,its not going to be a big shock when announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be a shock if its Quinnsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

mike65 wrote: »
    If it is a Quinnsworth, I'll have to buy a paper to confirm the date and year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

If it's Quinnsworth I wonder will they be giving away those cool barcode battlers they used to have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

The location is ideal, the chances are if its a tesco express they will be targeting the locals living in the surrounds and general footfall so i would say the argument that parking will be a problem isn't an issue, bad news for the local fish and veg shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I heard it was Crazy Prices or the Woman who used to own the shop down by the park - Mary, is that her name? - is going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I heard it was Crazy Prices or the Woman who used to own the shop down by the park - Mary, is that her name? - is going in there.

You sure its not Marks & Spencers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Will Maurice Pratt be back on the television telling us of the dealz in person.

KVI is on its way back too..

KVI is on its way back too..

Do you know what KVI stands for? ;)

Keenest Value in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

my bets is on it being a eurospar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Iceland are the only crowd who are supposed to be here by now but are not - must be them

edit just read that article above
    Mr McCarthy remained tight-lipped as to the identity of the supermarket operator, but confirmed it is not Marks and Spencer and added that the chain could be already operating in the city.

what kind of stupid tease is that! Just tell us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Iceland are the only crowd who are supposed to be here by now but are not - must be them

edit just read that article above

what kind of stupid tease is that! Just tell us.

It's the kind of sh*te that's become a regular occurrence in the town normally it's "watch out for a big jobs announcement in the comming weeks" or "big name company to set up in waterford" all the stringing along would fill you with a rage only relived with swift punch in a politicians face.

Constant pre announcements and pre-pre announcements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Great to see someone moving in there, the area looked desolate with that place closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

What’s important is somebody is there, who is there is of little significance when all is said and done. I have it from a reliable source that three supermarket chains wanted to go in there. I said it before and I’ll say it again it’s not acceptable that perfectly viable buildings are left vacant for no good reason. Finally in this case it looks like it’s over.

The Ballybricken / The Glen area has not suffered the ghost town problem that John Roberts Square has in the evenings, this will strengthen the area as a whole. I don’t agree that its bad news for local shops, it will increase the number of people shopping in the area how is that bad news. There has been a supermarket on that site since the 60’s and the other shops survived.

My guess would be Tesco Express.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It stands for Known Value Items. It's a retail term for things that shoppers know the value of, like bread, milk, sugar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Couldn't see it being Tesco, or SuperValue or Dunnes, though there was an express Dunnes 100 yards from the main one in Kilkenny!

I'd say Euro Spar, but I have no idea. Its true that the lack of parking would be an issue, but there a ready made market with the school down the road.

I also think it would be good for local suppliers, like the way all the store in Lisduggan exist together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Couldn't see it being Tesco, or SuperValue or Dunnes, though there was an express Dunnes 100 yards from the main one in Kilkenny!

I'd say Euro Spar, but I have no idea. Its true that the lack of parking would be an issue, but there a ready made market with the school down the road.

I also think it would be good for local suppliers, like the way all the store in Lisduggan exist together.

But that Dunnes Express didnt last long. I heard a few years ago Tesco were looking at puting in an Express in there, but with so many Tescos in Waterford already, and the fact that hours have been cut in some shops, I dont think its likely to be them.

I wouldnt be surprised if Lidl go in there. They are generally found in similar locations to Aldi, although Ive never seen a deli and cafe in Lidl

Could also be Londis,centra,or Mace...who knows..

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Ballybricken seems to be the only area of town not served by a Tesco at present.

• Advertisement

It stands for Known Value Items. It's a retail term for things that shoppers know the value of, like bread, milk, sugar etc.

KVI was a range of products (like yellow pack) sold by Crazy Prices.
    As trick of the tail pointed out, it stands for Keenest Value in Ireland.

Advertisement