Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major supermarket chain to move into former Besco premises

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

wobbles wrote: »
    But that Dunnes Express didnt last long. I heard a few years ago Tesco were looking at puting in an Express in there, but with so many Tescos in Waterford already, and the fact that hours have been cut in some shops, I dont think its likely to be them.

I wouldnt be surprised if Lidl go in there. They are generally found in similar locations to Aldi, although Ive never seen a deli and cafe in Lidl

I wouldn't see the amount of Tesco's in Waterford being a problem actually i would see them looking at the competition in the area and think we better get in there. I saw a great programme think it was BBC Panorama looking into the amount of shops that open purely as competition to the opposition and the money they pay to local councils to open in certain areas i think there was a swimming pool police station and even roads built to sweeten deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ghostbusthat

Any know which supermarket it is yet? Trying to find out where I can apply to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Deisedarren

Could it be ardkeen stores that's moving in under freshway name

I heard its Kanye and Kim setting up a new health food store they are relocating to Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I heard its Kanye and Kim setting up a new health food store they are relocating to Waterford

LOL, Kimway Express :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

fricatus wrote: »
    LOL, Kimway Express :D

no,no.

its ardkayne stores for definate.

Maybe its one of them "Dash" stores "I heard" they useto run in keeping up with whats it called?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

any movement on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

One time I gave a friends dog some KVI dog food, he was sick for a week, the dog that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

deal obviously fell through - its back "to let"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

delahuntv wrote: »
    deal obviously fell through - its back "to let"

Is that not the old sign just left there!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Just had a quick look on daft. Seems to be back up for rent.

http://www.daft.ie/5186746

The picture shows let by on the sign. So it must have been recently taken. Ad placed 8 days ago.

Shame the deal fell through.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

At last!

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2014/05/21/supermarket-chain-create-25-jobs-former-besco-ballybricken/

This announcement is great news for jobseekers and the local economy. It was an awful shame seeing that premises going to waste for so long.

I'm wondering could it become a Tesco Express store perhaps...?

Then they can announce how many jobs they've 'created'. Although it's nice to see the empty building used, research has shown that these big chains, and especially the 'Express' variety will displace jobs from other similar shops rather than create them. It's not like people buy things there they couldn't get in other shops or that they were buying online or in a different town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Then they can announce how many jobs they've 'created'. Although it's nice to see the empty building used, research has shown that these big chains, and especially the 'Express' variety will displace jobs from other similar shops rather than create them. It's not like people buy things there they couldn't get in other shops or that they were buying online or in a different town!

I would love to see some of this research becausd I frankly think its a myth. This zero sum theory holds no water and the oppositie is actually true.Its even a distortion of the theory as since Besco closed we are minus one supermarket in the area and have been ever since to the inconvenience of the elderely living there who were dependent on Bescos. Without the competition all you have is local monopolies and less jobs. Everytime some chain opens be it Boots or Wetherspoons the local mini oligarchies up and down the country scream this type of stuff and the sjy has yet to fall in,

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

I would love to see some of this research becausd I frankly think its a myth. This zero sum theory holds no water and the oppositie is actually true.

Ok here's two sources for starters.

http://calchaspss.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/are-20000-new-supermarket-jobs-a-cause-for-celebration/
    And
    http://www.acs.org.uk/en/Press_Office/details/index.cfm/type/archive/obj_id/E36CFE95-3E6E-4821-8FE219DA565F3247

Of course if you instinctively 'know' different then all the research on the world won't convince you otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

I would love to see some of this research becausd I frankly think its a myth. This zero sum theory holds no water and the oppositie is actually true.Its even a distortion of the theory as since Besco closed we are minus one supermarket in the area and have been ever since to the inconvenience of the elderely living there who were dependent on Bescos. Without the competition all you have is local monopolies and less jobs. Everytime some chain opens be it Boots or Wetherspoons the local mini oligarchies up and down the country scream this type of stuff and the sjy has yet to fall in,

Hyper market and Dunnes stores must have served the local community. Aldi in the Glen would most certainly have been an even cheaper alternative to Besco's for the elderly in the area - there is most definitely distortion as more mini markets have opened in the area.
    I doubt the zero sum theory is applied here, I'd imagine its more likely to be a negative impact theory as more jobs appear to be losted them gained.

Hyper market and Dunnes stores must have served the local community. Aldi in the Glen would most certainly have been an even cheaper alternative to Besco's for the elderly in the area - there is most definitely distortion as more mini markets have opened in the area.
    I doubt the zero sum theory is applied here, I'd imagine its more likely to be a negative impact theory as more jobs appear to be losted them gained.

Not in the same way has the inner city been served by Dunnes and the Hypermarket. Dunnes is not convenient to get to as its down hill and in the middle of town. The Hypermarket is not much better as you have to walk across a busy carpark to get to it. Aldi in the Glen is similar. Besco was a short walk for most of the elderly arounf Ballybricken.

The zero sum theory doesn't apply here. That was my point. Since Aldi opened in the Glen other businesses have opened up and their is none that you can say have closed because of it. When Besco closed due to the fire a few other businesses closed also and many others found it hard to gain traction.

The problem with the analysis the previous poster posted is that it does not stand up to scientific scrutiny. Its a blog referring to a newspaper article which would not be accepted anywhere. The links at the bottom are all vested interests. What it does not take into account is the other societal changes that have occurred. Yesterdays grocery store worker is todays call centre worker. This is the hard fact, The convenience store era is gone and not coming back except in niche markets such as ethnic grocery stores. It is from an era of substandard housing when people spent most of their income on overprice local shops

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ers.usda.gov%2FersDownloadHandler.ashx%3Ffile%3D%2Fmedia%2F242614%2Fap036f_1_.pdf&ei=Y0vUU7zMNcGPO9z8gOgB&usg=AFQjCNHGor_nh0R6im_b0O7fc-Utn0y5pg&sig2=tAhBC0AsQcba0TWm7VwLWA

http://calchaspss.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/are-20000-new-supermarket-jobs-a-cause-for-celebration/
    And
    http://www.acs.org.uk/en/Press_Office/details/index.cfm/type/archive/obj_id/E36CFE95-3E6E-4821-8FE219DA565F3247

Of course if you instinctively 'know' different then all the research on the world won't convince you otherwise!

First of this isn't research. Its a blog using a newspaper article as its primary reference. The second link is just a load of claims. It takes no account whatsoever of the effects of the recession or the fact that Tesco and others have also had declining sales.

As for you smart as jibe it has nothing to do with instinct. Its economics simple as.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ers.usda.gov%2FersDownloadHandler.ashx%3Ffile%3D%2Fmedia%2F242614%2Fap036f_1_.pdf&ei=Y0vUU7zMNcGPO9z8gOgB&usg=AFQjCNHGor_nh0R6im_b0O7fc-Utn0y5pg&sig2=tAhBC0AsQcba0TWm7VwLWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Not in the same way has the inner city been served by Dunnes and the Hypermarket. Dunnes is not convenient to get to as its down hill and in the middle of town. The Hypermarket is not much better as you have to walk across a busy carpark to get to it. Aldi in the Glen is similar. Besco was a short walk for most of the elderly arounf Ballybricken.

The zero sum theory doesn't apply here. That was my point. Since Aldi opened in the Glen other businesses have opened up and their is none that you can say have closed because of it. When Besco closed due to the fire a few other businesses closed also and many others found it hard to gain traction.

The problem with the analysis the previous poster posted is that it does not stand up to scientific scrutiny. Its a blog referring to a newspaper article which would not be accepted anywhere. The links at the bottom are all vested interests. What it does not take into account is the other societal changes that have occurred. Yesterdays grocery store worker is todays call centre worker. This is the hard fact, The convenience store era is gone and not coming back except in niche markets such as ethnic grocery stores. It is from an era of substandard housing when people spent most of their income on overprice local shops

Your changing your arguement to suit the research and not addressing the point that was made. As far as I aware, Centra on Lower Yellow Road and the mini market nest to Dr Keogh's practice both stated that Aldi had a negative impact on there business and thats fine because they might just be cheaper, etc,etc.
    Supermarkets have an negative impact on the labour market, they are by there very nature designed to be more more effective, this includes being more labour efficent. Thats modernity, society evolves.

Tesco express may be cheaper, offer a wider choice and be more convenient, but these types of shops have a negative impact on local business and this results in an overall jobs loss. That is the point being made.

I would like to see some sceiitific reasearch that proves otherwise, one of the studies posted may be a blog based on a study by vested interests, but your just giving your opinion, which appears to be based on nothing so far. Show us the facts that prove your speculation.

As for Dunnes etc etc being inconvenient for the elderly community to get to, the people who shopped in Bescos were for the most part women who did and still do walk. Its as much about meeting people and isolation as it is about shopping, for alot of people in that age group.

Your changing your arguement to suit the research and not addressing the point that was made. As far as I aware, Centra on Lower Yellow Road and the mini market nest to Dr Keogh's practice both stated that Aldi had a negative impact on there business and thats fine because they might just be cheaper, etc,etc.
    Supermarkets have an negative impact on the labour market, they are by there very nature designed to be more more effective, this includes being more labour efficent. Thats modernity, society evolves.

There has been no research posted so how can I be changing my argument? And your missing the point being made. The Aldi has had no noticeable negative impact on the makeup of business in the area and if anything it has improved the area because of the increase footfall it has generated. There is more businesses there and the area is safer generally. I posted a link that shows how the link between supermarkets and job losses is a false one. You obviously just didn't bother to read it. Never mind the fact that you have provided no evidence yourself. What operaters say does not matter because they will always try to restrict competition if it suits themselves. Daybreak probably affected the mini market operator.The polish shop across the road probably affected the mini market operator. The mini market operator is not owed a living.

Tesco express may be cheaper, offer a wider choice and be more convenient, but these types of shops have a negative impact on local business and this results in an overall jobs loss. That is the point being made.

And its a false one.Because its an overgeneralisation. That is merely populist. That is my point being made. The fact is there is pros and cons to the supermarket which is with everything in life. As far as consumers are concerned it is a pro. You will find a balanced report here.

http://www.europe-economics.com/publications/the_relationship_between_supermarkets_and_suppliers.pdf

I would like to see some sceiitific reasearch that proves otherwise, one of the studies posted may be a blog based on a study by vested interests, but your just giving your opinion, which appears to be based on nothing so far. Show us the facts that prove your speculation.

Read my link. The onus is on the those making the claims to prove their point. That's how research works and if it is disprovable and it clearly is then the initial assertion cannot be accepted. The point is there is no changes in the labour market that can be blamed on unfair competition from supermarkets.
    As for Dunnes etc etc being inconvenient for the elderly community to get to, the people who shopped in Bescos were for the most part women who did and still do walk. Its as much about meeting people and isolation as it is about shopping, for alot of people in that age group.

You should read your own posts before you post them. Especially when you try critique others for expressing mere opinions which is what you have just done here. It doesn't matter who used it the fact is the loss of it affected the elderly more. Also your claim here if true only further supports the case for a similar shop to Besco's to go in there.

• Advertisement

Back on topic can anyone confirm if the deal fell through the agents that agreed it were manor properties, and its not listed on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Back on topic can anyone confirm if the deal fell through the agents that agreed it were manor properties, and its not listed on their website.

I states this the other day:

The picture shows let by on the sign. So it must have been recently taken. Ad placed 8 days ago.

Shame the deal fell through

madfcuker wrote: »
    I states this the other day:

Shame the deal fell through

I saw that, but not sure that confirms deal fell through, might just be lazy website management.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Well im living im my apartment for over 2 years now and its still on daft

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

And

Jobs are not important.

What is important is increasing our productivity, efficiency and wealth and supermarkets play a part in this.

Advertisement