Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio and headset

• 23-05-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Well lads, i wanted to know what all radios and headsets you all run, i was thinking of the binatone action 1100. But just want to know what you all think. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭brenak47

Im in the same boat looking for comms myself and have been told to stay away from binatone and to go for either motorola or kenwood.there pricey but worth it im told. binatone battery life isn't great.I did have a loan of a binatone headset last year for rio and wasn't happy with it at all range wasn't great and battery was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I use midland PMR's 99euro on pixmania for two plus a dockin station, fantastic audio quality, only gripe would be the battery indicator that does not move so yoi constantly think the battery is half full when ya switch it on but its actually is not.

I bought Z-tactical bowman gen 3 headset then from airsoft peak then which was very cheap and a nice bit of kit for the price, love the comtac headsets might invest in one of them at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Cobra radio's are great and irish too. I used mine with a bowman headset and was great

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Weemassey65

andy_g wrote: »
    Cobra radio's are great and irish too. I used mine with a bowman headset and was great
    What model did you get? if you dont mind me asking.

What model did you get? if you dont mind me asking.

Radio or headset?

• Advertisement

Radio or headset?
    Sorry, both.

Ah ok the Cobra radio was a s300 or S3000 i think it was and the bowman was the swimmer style

Ah ok the Cobra radio was a s300 or S3000 i think it was and the bowman was the swimmer style
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Well lads, i wanted to know what all radios and headsets you all run, i was thinking of the binatone action 1100. But just want to know what you all think. Thanks in advance.
    brenak47 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat looking for comms myself and have been told to stay away from binatone and to go for either motorola or kenwood.there pricey but worth it im told. binatone battery life isn't great.I did have a loan of a binatone headset last year for rio and wasn't happy with it at all range wasn't great and battery was crap.

Lets be specific lads and depending on the Binatone model you have/use/buy, results may vary and on this point, myself and others I know use the Action 1000's + 1100's without any major issues

On battery life, I normally get between 25 and 35hrs of use, with intermittent usage, 15 to 20hrs with regular usage and up to 15hrs if dual monitoring or with heavy usage, these results are in real world conditions and I do get lower run times under colder conditions depending on how cold it is (these results are with the stock batteries that are included)

Also, its always best to have spare batteries for your radios in any case and these can use disposable AAA's in a pinch, so along with this and the many other features, the Action 1000's and 1100's are good radios for Airsoft use in Ireland

As for headsets, the Xbox 360 headsets are not a good option ;);) and which type of headset/PTT you prefer is up to you, as for me, after testing out many over the last couple of years, I'm happy with the Bowman Evo 3 and a made for gloves PTT button, they just work :D

About range, this is the most subjective item related to radios, as 0.5w is the most power we can have without licensing and depending on many factors, dictates over what distance radios will work, with that said, there are some brands who's radios are better at using the power than others, it just depends on your budget and here is a list:

- Puxing (I know some who use them for Airsoft and they are my planned future radio)
    - Motorola (I know some who use them for Airsoft and Private Security)
    - Kenwood (I know some who use them for Airsoft and Private Security)
    - Baofeng (I know some who use them for Airsoft)

Please note, across the whole range of radios that I and many others have had, batteries seem to be the #1 gripe, as none of them last as long as they should :rolleyes:

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

Me and a friend bought these earlier in the year from Amazon:

10Km Binatone Action 1100 2 Two Way Radio Walkie Talkie with 2 x Comtech CM-115TH PTT/VOX Throat mics - Twin pack

No complaints with the battery life (used for 8 hours, plenty charge left), clarity or distance we have used them at.

Standard batteries that came with them are rechargeable 600 mAh, which have worked fine, but can easily be upgraded.

Great value package as well, delivered for €105.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought Binatone Action1100 walkies but can't decide which headset to get. Any suggestions? I see the Bowman and Swimmer types are popular but what about the "Secret Service" earpiece type, are they any good?

Finally, I don't know which pin will work on mine (single pin) as there appear to be different sizes of pins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

Hello.

The Comtech CM-115TH PTT/VOX Throat mics we bought with the radios work better than I had expected, but can be annoying if left on VOX and pickup running, panting sounds as well ;-)

PTT works better for me as it also reduces the lag (second or so) when the VOX activates and deactivates the mic when sensing noise.

I guess some people would not like the feeling round their throat, but I rather this than a headset/over head setup.

The pin connection is a standard single 2.5mm jack.

HTH

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Cheers mate

Thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

If you are still looking I would HIGHLY recommend that you check out the PX-777 by Puxing. The radio is solid as a rock with unbelievable range and crystal clear audio. Only costs 50 quid including shipping :) It's also fully programable and comes with a small earbud. Iv'e been using one for the last 3 years with no problems what so ever :)

Fantastic radio for the money!

As for headset I would recommend a Bowman Elite 2 or a set of ComTac IIs. I roll with both and have yet to have a problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

Just be careful with the px777. It's wattage is much higher than the 0.5 watts allowed. Don't be surprised if it's seized by customs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

ShRT wrote: »
    Just be careful with the px777. It's wattage is much higher than the 0.5 watts allowed. Don't be surprised if it's seized by customs

As far as I know that's the 777+ mate. All the lads on my team got them shipped in from Asia (around 16 orders) none got stopped and all came in less than 3 weeks ;)
    I'm fairly sure it's the 777+ thats 0.5 over but ill look into it a bit more,if i'm wrong ill edit this and stick it up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭ShRT

The 777 is 5W and the plus version is 4W. The legal limit is 0.5W

Advertisement