Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student loan - AIB or Credit Union?

Options
  • 23-05-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

I am a mature student, heading over to the UK in Sept to study primary teaching. I will get a bursary from the UK gov, but it won't be enough to cover all my living costs for the year. I am thinking I will need to borrow 3000 or 4000 for the year.

I have an a/c with AIB and the CU. I have previously had a loan from CU, which I took out originally about 7 years ago, and topped up to 12000 about 4 years ago for uni, which I will have paid back in full by next month, leaving me with about 350 in my savings account. I have got nearly 1000 saved with AIB, and I also have my current account with them. I am working full time at the moment, so by the time I apply for the loan in august I will have a bit more money saved.

My question is whether you think I will get a loan from either of them? And if so, which one would be more likely? I am thinking the CU, but I am worried they wont give me a loan since I have only just finished paying back my previous one (on schedule though). I haven't been saving any money with them, as I have been focusing on paying back the loan first. Should I start putting money into the savings account every week? How much would I need saved before they would loan me the amount I need?

Sorry for all the questions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Alice22

I phoned AIB yesterday about a loan, you need to be set up with a student plus account for 6 weeks before you can apply to borrow from them. But they have a dedicated student officer at each branch I have been told. They seem quite helpful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

If you lodge your savings into your CU account and keep saving away they will have no problem giving you a loan based on your previous history with them. If you have paid back €12,000 in full on time why would they have an issue. The CU rates will more than likely to be lower than the bank and I have found them much more engaging and willing to negotiate on repayments. They usually allow you borrow 2.5-3 times what your savings are so that should be the amount you are aiming for. Why don't you make an appointment with your branch to ask.

Advertisement