Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer tree burnt - advice

• 23-05-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi, got an acer tree as a present and had it in a pot in the garden for roughly 8 months in sheltered spot, and was growing fine. Planted it in the front garden with compost 3-4 weeks ago and now half of it looks burnt and leaves are wilting. Does anyone know why or what i could do to save it. Looks like it's dying. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

They are very sensitive. I think you answered your own question there. It was happy in the sheltered spot. Wind alone could have damaged it. So move it to a better spot and hope for a good recovery. Remove damaged foliage but don't strip it down too much in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As redser says, they like to be protected amongst other trees. I have one in a mature bit of shrubbery and it is huge and perfectly fine. Another one is on its own in a reasonably sheltered garden, but it has a haze of dead twigs sticking out from the otherwise healthy leaf cover. I must trim them off! but it does seem to be affected by being exposed. There have been some very rough winds recently. I think your tree will be ok, you will just have to trim it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

Thanks for the information guys. I'm a novice gardener so didn't think the wind would be a major factor. I'll move it back to where I had it and hope it'll do the job. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I wouldn't touch it, it has probably suffered a little dehydration post moving it which has caused shock etc.

Keep well watered and expect full recovery next year.

Or death. It doesn't sound like shock it sounds like wind burn which is common with acers.

• Advertisement

Anyway, moving a potted plant to the ground wouldn't shock a plant as much as uprooting one already in the ground to a new position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

redser7 wrote: »
    Anyway, moving a potted plant to the ground wouldn't shock a plant as much as uprooting one already in the ground to a new position.

Acers are prone to shock and apparently it commonly occurs when newly purchased trees are planted in the ground. Transplanting is easy during dormant phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Or death. It doesn't sound like shock it sounds like wind burn which is common with acers.
    That's a bit over dramatic, while it's true Japanese Maples need some shelter, acers in general are a hardy bunch, windburn can be (and quiet often is) vastly over exaggerated, unless you're in a completely exposed site or have regular salt spray there really is very little to worry about, aslong as has been mentioned already you keep it moist, it should be fine.

If it is suffering in its current spot in relatively mild weather after being moved do you not think it will continue to do so in subsequent years and harsher weather? Surely moving it to a more sheltered spot is sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

If it is suffering in its current spot in relatively mild weather after being moved do you not think it will continue to do so in subsequent years and harsher weather? Surely moving it to a more sheltered spot is sensible.
    Not without seeing the plant in person (or at the very least good photos) and properly assessing the situtation, more often than not people press the panic button at the first hint of of something out of the ordinary.
    Plants (trees and shrubs in particular) are alot hardier than some people give them credit for and sometimes a little patients is all that is required.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. My experience was that they died :(

Advertisement