Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork vs Waterford 2014 plus memories from previous years

• 23-05-2014 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭

It would be great to get comment from both sets of supporters as well as people from elsewhere about the match in the one thread.

After seeing both teams names I would see cork as favourites but not raging hot as everyone says, time will tell if they have sorted there defensive problems but this young Waterford forward line may cause trouble against an unsettled cork back line.
    I think it will be close but cork may have just too much firepower, hopefully Sunday will be the start of a new rivalry.

My first memory of Cork vs Waterford was in 1989, the match finished a draw and I remember the replay as well, one if not both were held in pairs ui caoimh and I remember people making their way across the Lee in makeshift boats, I was a very young child but I remember thinking there was no way in hell I would get on that boat.
    Sad to say but at the time I knew very few Waterford players, having a parent from Cork I suppose my first introduction to GAA was watching them on all-Ireland's on the telly, so I knew nearly all of the cork team with Jim Cashman and Ger Cunningham being favourites of mine but my favorite was tony o Sullivan...
    After the Waterford win in the replay my affiliation with cork was over, for years to come I would dream of being Shiner Ahearne or noelie Crowley, but the one man I went to bed dreaming of being was the all action Paudie prendergast, that day I found my first Heros from Waterford. (I actually marked Paudie a few times many years later, I don't think he ever slowed down), in my innocence I thought we would beat cork every year, I only had to wait another 13.

Obviously 2004 is the highlight, cork start like a train, we will get blown away, the garvan McCarthy goal (the dribbler) mullane sending off, flynn a goal (the dipper), James murrays interception at the death that no-one saw and kens catch over the rock.

We suffered our heartbreak too, Donal Og saving McGraths free from going over was the absolute worst, the cathal naughton substation. Sean og holding dan (literally all day.. Open your eyes ref)

They were slugfests, where each teams big men invariably performed, superstars like the, Corcoran, tom Kenny and Ben and jerry dealing the cruelest of body blows only for the likes of dan or Mullane or Flynn to respond. It was a privilege to have witnessed it.

Check out Donal Ogs column today. Stirring stuff

I can't wait to go to thurles, shame it's not a full house but those days will come again.

Sunday is the start of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Some great moments there. I remember the semi final in 1989 it was 18 all Waterford were up 17-11 well into the second half, Cork came back and the concensus on the Sunday Game was Waterford missed the boat. RTE didn't even send a polaroid camera to the reply, what was the point Cork wouldn't get caught a second time, it was an incredible game Waterford winning 5-16 to 4-17. It shows you how unpredictable Munster Hurling can be. Both of those games were in Thurles. The memory you have of boats and PUC was the lead up to the Munster final v Tipp, a forgettable match!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Is that right they two Coek games were in Thurles, I do not have too many memories of those games, just that I had a Waterford colours tied to one hand and cork to the other, I remember Ger cunninghams puck outs and I remember meeting a lot of first cousins at the game (I have over 50 from Cork so the win was particularly sweet)

I remember the Munster final, there was some decision on the field and the crowd around us went a bit wild, someone throw a bottle and it hit me in the back of the head shoulder area, it was a poisonous atmosphere and after being hit I was scared stiff (I was 5), I wouldn't go to a game for a long time after that, in fact it was probably 92 for the u21 all Ireland,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

My earliest memory of Cork v Waterford was the Primary Game in 1999. As for tomorrow, i cant see Waterford getting within 5 or 6 points of Cork.

Funnily enough Paul Flynn said this morning as well that his Heros weren't from Waterford because they weren't in telly like I was saying above.
    We thought cork hurlers were from another planet and we were told we would never be as good as them.
    How times have changed now every lad from Waterford has their Heros that they can see down training in their local hurling field... The team of 98-2010 will be remembered as the ones who re-started the Waterford hurling revolution... Good times are just ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Slobbery wrote: »
    Funnily enough Paul Flynn said this morning as well that his Heros weren't from Waterford because they weren't in telly like I was saying above.
    We thought cork hurlers were from another planet and we were told we would never be as good as them.
    How times have changed now every lad from Waterford has their Heros that they can see down training in their local hurling field... The team of 98-2010 will be remembered as the ones who re-started the Waterford hurling revolution... Good times are just ahead

I read that article and it really struck a cord. Its something thats really not fully understood. Flynn, Mullane, Mcgrath, Shanahan, Browne, Kelly etc have inspired the next generation, bearing fruit in last years minor winning team. And now 8 months one, of of those victorious minors, Austin Gleeson will make his bow in the senior championship. The ship has come full circle, when Gleeson was 5 or 6, he watched his heros make the breakthrough in 02', now 12 years on he hopes to make his own

• Advertisement

Ye 1999 was the start of this rivalry (tho don't know how the primary game went!). For the last couple of years the early provincial games haven't been great, not even league standard at times. Most teams are pitching for further in the year. If there is two teams to serve up a cracker in May it's Cork v Waterford. Cork might be ahead of Waterford in developement but the Waterford lads have more medals so shouldn't fear em.

There is a good preview here

http://munster.gaa.ie/2014/05/21/munster-gaa-senior-hurling-championship-quarter-final-cork-v-waterford/

I see Brian Gavin is ref thank fook tho I hope he dosen't feel like he owes Cork one after last September

The munster GAA preview is good for stats but as mentioned on Waterford Thread the Donal Og article builds it up nicely
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/donal-og-cusack-hurling-needs-cork-and-waterford-to-be-noisy-neighbours-269655.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

3ships wrote: »
    Ye 1999 was the start of this rivalry (tho don't know how the primary game went!). For the last couple of years the early provincial games haven't been great, not even league standard at times. Most teams are pitching for further in the year. If there is two teams to serve up a cracker in May it's Cork v Waterford. Cork might be ahead of Waterford in developement but the Waterford lads have more medals so shouldn't fear em.

There is a good preview here

http://munster.gaa.ie/2014/05/21/munster-gaa-senior-hurling-championship-quarter-final-cork-v-waterford/

I see Brian Gavin is ref thank fook tho I hope he dosen't feel like he owes Cork one after last September

We won ;)

Connorzee wrote: »
    We won ;)

That's when the tide started to turn our way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Connorzee wrote: »
    My earliest memory of Cork v Waterford was the Primary Game in 1999. As for tomorrow, i cant see Waterford getting within 5 or 6 points of Cork.

I hope you didn't put any money on that.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
Advertisement