Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile broadband problem

Options
  • 23-05-2014 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi users. I have a problem with a laptop I bought and hope someone might know what the problem is. I bought a lenovo t61 secondhand for work as they are supposed to be durable. My problem is is when I use my mobile broadband stick with it it eats up the credit in minutes. I have two broadband sticks, 3 mobile and 02 and the same happens both of them. Also when teather my work phone to it it uses up the data allowance in minutes which is quiet high. I dont think it is running a genuine windows package but I dont think that is the problem but maybe im wrong. When I go to lenovo internet connections in the control menu and open the mobile broadband settings it says im connected to china telecom. I tried to change this but it still stays the same altough it doesnt show it on that menu. Im wondering is this hardwired into the system or has anyone had a similar experience with this type of problem before. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

This will tell if your Windows is legitimate, click the "Validate Now":

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows/help/genuine/what-is-validation

You should also run a full virus scan, as viruses and spyware can use up your usage allowance by downloading data.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you using the sticks/tethering outside of Ireland (sorry if this is an obvious question). If you are in China you won't pick up o2 or 3 signals and will be changed the huge roaming rates instead. If you are in Ireland I've no idea why it would report connecting to China Telecom, as I wouldn't have though that would be technically feasible. As Johndoe points out malware could be eating into the bandwidth behind the scenes also, worth checking this as well

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pauldnan

Thanks for the replys. In england at the moment and the two sticks I have are english ones. I think it might be the laptop itself as lenovo piloted a cheap broadband scheme for that particular laptop series but unfortunately it was through china telecom. Dont know how to change the settings as they are probably hardwired. This however is my own opinion and im no tech expert...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

pauldnan wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys. In england at the moment and the two sticks I have are english ones. I think it might be the laptop itself as lenovo piloted a cheap broadband scheme for that particular laptop series but unfortunately it was through china telecom. Dont know how to change the settings as they are probably hardwired. This however is my own opinion and im no tech expert...

Hmm its possibly the cause of the issue alright. No idea how it would affect tethering as well though. Is there any China Telecom software in the uninstall/Program & Features window(to access Start->control panel)?

Nick

Advertisement