Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first proper job - Tax Questions

Options
  • 23-05-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all, I started my new job in a company on Monday. This is my first proper job and I don't have much knowledge about the different forms and taxes. I tried using revenue.ie but I would prefer more "lay-man" terms as the more I read the more confused I get. So there is quite a lot of questions and it is much appreciated if people can answer me :)

My last job was a part-time one in my Dad's business and I am registered as a tax payer. Also I just got paid today by my new job however I noticed on my pay slip my tax code is "E" which after a bit of searching I found out that it means emergency tax.

I rang my Dad's accountant about getting a P45 form before I start my new job which I just received today. But I don't really understand the purpose of it. I've I've also received a 12A form on Tuesday and I don't have much of a clue as to the purpose of it.

Regarding the P45, I read the employee note section on top of the page. It states that I give part 2 and 3 to my new employer and retain part 4 for my own records unless I am claiming benefits. So does that mean my ex-employer(my Dad) is suppose to fill out all of part 2 and part 3 of the form himself and sign it :confused: Also once I hand in my P45 does that mean I won't get emergency taxed anymore as the date of cessation on my P45 is this year?

Finally what is the purpose of the 12A form. Do I need to fill it out and send it to revenue even after I hand in my P45 :confused:

This all the questions I have right now sorry for such a long question and some of them are probably really stupid. Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

give the P45 to your new employer. Ring Revenue with your new employer's registered number and ask that your credits and allowances are assigned to the new employer. Check your new employer has received the correct information for you from Revenue (P2C) and that they are using it. You should come off emergency tax soon as this is done.

Who gave you form 12A? This is normally for first employments so I would guess that you don't need to fill in form 12A as you already have a PPS number and tax history but just double check this with Revenue when you ring about your credits/allowances.

Advertisement