Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Tips

Options
  • 24-05-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

English paper 2 is the only paper in the Junior Cert which I am dreading! I got 80% in the Mocks and my teacher said I should be well able to get an A in the Junior Cert. However, the only thing that is against me and probably everyone else is time!

Does anyone have any tips for English paper 2 on how to approach the questions, speed up and how to keep to the timings?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

I got a D- in the mocks and a C+ for the leaving cert, higher level.

A friend of mine got an A+ in the mocks and a D+ for the leaving cert, also higher level.

Moral of the story is, your result depends solely on the person marking your test. It has nothing to do with your grasp of the English language. It is completelely subjective.

My advice would be not to overthink a question. If you feel you need to flesh out an answer, just write some smart sounding crap and move on. It worked for me!

Also if you simply form an answer as your own pesonnal opinion, you can't be docked marks. You can pretty much make up whatever you want on the spot. The people marking the exam don't mind this, in fact if they notice the same answers cropping up over and over again, then they know the students are just parroting off what the teacher told them and they will be docked marks while you gain marks for having a unique answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Does anyone have a guideline on how much to write for each question? I usually go by 10 marks = half page 15 marks = 3/4 Is this ok or should I be writing more or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

10 mark- half a page
    15 mark- three quarters to a page
    20 mark- page- page and one third
    30 mark- two pages

(These are just what my own English teacher recommends, It depends on your writing size as-well. These are just rough guidelines)
    Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

10 mark- half a page
    30 mark- two pages

(These are just what my own English teacher recommends, It depends on your writing size as-well. These are just rough guidelines)

Our english teacher tells us a page per ten marks with a thirty marker being shortened to at least 2.5 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

10 mark- half a page
    30 mark- two pages

Our english teacher tells us a page per ten marks with a thirty marker being shortened to at least 2.5 pages

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read the marking schemes. It's nothing to do with the length of the answer, it's the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

ElmW13 wrote: »

You don't need to write 2.5 pages for 30 marks.

10 marks = 1/2 of a page
    15 marks = 3/4 of a page
    20 marks = About 1 page.
    30 marks = 1 3/4 pages - 2 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Our teacher has told us 3/4 page for ten marks, page and a half for 15, two for 20 and two and a half-three for 30 marks..:)

pizzamad wrote: »
    Our teacher has told us 3/4 page for ten marks, page and a half for 15, two for 20 and two and a half-three for 30 marks..:)

The marking schemes don't say how much candidates should write but 30 marks is generally about 2 pages. Write more if you can but P2 is very time restricted so I would not advise writing more than you have to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do people seriously think an answer is marked on how long it is, not what is in it?

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Do people seriously think an answer is marked on how long it is, not what is in it?

Exactly, but... You still won't get the marks for 1/2 page of an excellent answer for 30 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

my English teacher says we should write 4 A4 pages for a 30 mark question
    my class did poorly in the mocks
    the highest was 61% but the examiner was really harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

The best out of our class for the mocks was 78% followed by 76%

This was mainly due to people wasting way too much time on Personal Writing (my friend wrote just shy of 6 A4 pages:eek:, not that I was any better, I spent 1h 15 minutes writing about 4 1/2 to 5:pac: ) which then led to us doing dire in Functional writing because we could only afford to spend 15 or so minutes on it (I got 16/30:rolleyes:) and we hadn't done much media studies either.

As for paper 2, everybody did pretty OK, but we really fell down in Fiction, because by that our hands were in a bad way, and we had no quotes of any use for our novel "Of Mice and Men".

Why is time so cruel, especially with English:(

thetalker wrote: »
    my English teacher says we should write 4 A4 pages for a 30 mark question
    my class did poorly in the mocks
    the highest was 61% but the examiner was really harsh

That's far too much. Half that is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

My teacher tells us that it's 1 strong, developed point for every 5 marks. By well developed he means a point, a reference to the text (preferably a quote but less quotes are needed for studied fiction than the others), and an explanation or further development. PQE:) Honestly I am trying to shorten and shorten my answers by doing an answer and then reading back over it and highlighting in different colors the point, the quote and my explanation. Then I can see where I can take out the junk:) As everyone has different writing sizes, you can't really say 2 pages,we all know that one person who has crazy huge writing;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

10 mark- half a page
    30 mark- two pages

Thats what my teacher told us aswell. Makes sense but crazy when you look at the time you have to write that much in an exam. Reading part is 30mins, with usually one 10m question and two 15m questions. That means you have to read the text, read the questions, go back over the text and look for answers/quotes and then write a bit over 2 pages all in 30 MINUTES :eek:

Anyone have any advice for the timing in paper 2? It is the most difficult paper, I think, for time so is there any method or advice for speeding up?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hf98kk

I wrote 15 full a4 pages in the mock! I got an A but there is no way im putting myself under that kind of time pressure in the real thing. So for me, im going to speed up by just writing shorter answers. I was writing at least a page on average for each question. At the end of each answer I always write a conclusion which is quite similar to my opening parapgraph, does anyone else do this? I think I might stop doing this if it's not neccessary.

hf98kk wrote: »
    I wrote 15 full a4 pages in the mock! I got an A but there is no way im putting myself under that kind of time pressure in the real thing. So for me, im going to speed up by just writing shorter answers. I was writing at least a page on average for each question. At the end of each answer I always write a conclusion which is quite similar to my opening parapgraph, does anyone else do this? I think I might stop doing this if it's not neccessary.

Well done to you! I am aiming for an A on Wednesday but all I can do is my best! I always write a conclusion too if I have time! It is very important as it shows structure in our answer :D

A conclusion is a must! Makrs go for summing up the answer at the end :)

• Advertisement

Makrs... why am I sitting HL english...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

Would a conclusion just be like a paragraph briefly like tying up all the points you made? I always mean to do them but forget, must remember on Wednesday!

Xgracie wrote: »
    Would a conclusion just be like a paragraph briefly like tying up all the points you made? I always mean to do them but forget, must remember on Wednesday!

Yes just a line or two tying up your answer. :)

For example, if the question was what type of character is A chosen character in your drama and say you wrote about Romeo being a sad, stupid character - You would say something like
    "In conclusion, I feel that Romeo from Romeo and Juliet is a sad, stupid character." :)

For example, if the question was what type of character is A chosen character in your drama and say you wrote about Romeo being a sad, stupid character - You would say something like
    "In conclusion, I feel that Romeo from Romeo and Juliet is a sad, stupid character." :)

I would not use the word stupid in the exam if I were you. There are better words to use.

That was just an example, obviously not :)

That was just an example, obviously not :)

I was telling you just in case. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

VG31 wrote: »
    Exactly, but... You still won't get the marks for 1/2 page of an excellent answer for 30 marks.

If you can write a concise answer which fully answers the question, then yes, yes you will.

The danger of thinking 'I must write 2 pages / 4 pages / 17 pages for a 30 mark answer' is that you will lose sight of the point, write multiple conclusions, and generally ramble, which at the end of the day will lose you marks.

A good structure is important, so you will generally gain more marks for taking your time and concentrating on having well structured, concise answers, than you would for frantically writing x number of pages because of some crazy 'formula' as suggested by the teacher (and even from this thread, we can see how much that 'formula' differs between teachers).

Nobody is saying 'write as little as possible', but... know when to stop.

As an example, in my Leaving Cert English exam, I wrote fewer pages than any other student in my exam hall (average sized writing), and finished early enough to reread each answer and make small changes where necessary. And i got my A1.
    In the Junior Cert, I also wrote relatively short answers, and i got either an A or a B.

Best of luck to all with the English papers, I look forward to the post-mortem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Hi, I'm doing the junior cert in 3 days and I was wondering, is it a certainty that a debate speech will come up for (HL) english? I was looking over the past personal writing questions over the years and a debate speech has come up 12 out of the 14 years in our exam papers. The last time it hasn't come up was in 2004. Is it now a definite question?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what you need to know from a novel and a drama like what will they ask? We didnt get exam papers this year so I'm not that sure :)

Advertisement