Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short snouted croc named after the balrog

Options
  • 24-05-2014 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭

I honestly think a dragon would've been a more natural choice, but what do I know...

http://news.ufl.edu/2014/05/23/ancient-crocodile-species/

It is the same crocodile portrayed in the Titanoboa documentary from a while ago:

03_Tboa-constricting-croc-illustration-400x500.jpg

(Gotta love how the Titanoboa appears to be bioluminsicent in that pic)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anthracosuchus balrogus, a demon of the ancient world...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Oh, I just realized why they named it like that... they found it in a mine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

God that's a cool name

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No chance there was deep indentations found on the bones, as if struck repeatedly by a white staff ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Manach wrote: »
     struck repeatedly by a white staff ? :)

*Puts on nerd cap*

When Gandalf fought the Balrog he was Gandalf the grey and had a gnarled brown staff, the white staff came with his return as Gandalf the White :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Prehistoric Elfbane then, indicates Elves existed back then, so I suppose fairies might be real after all.

Advertisement