Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

triathy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

EC1000 wrote: »
    This was my fourth time in Athy and the flow was definitely stronger than ever today. Had to work just to stay put for the start!

You could really feel the flow getting around the turn buoy on the sprint course. Nice swim back down the way though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnswerIs42

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think there was a dump point at the turn about so I think you might have misheard.

Yeah, figured as much. I was eating all the way anyway:-)

Have to agree about the run course. Everyone tries to run in the middle on that flattened track and when you see someone coming at you, it becomes a case of who will blink first. It gets very awkward when people are overtaking as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

You and me both. Completely forgot about it and scalded now.

Won't be forgetting it going to Austria.

How did you get on today?
    Very good now. I was one of the first in the water so a 10-15 minute wait for everyone to get in had me nice and cold. The start was messy (200 people trying to fit under a bridge but once I got moving I felt fine. Swim in 1:01 onto the bike where I kept my pace above 30kmh for the duration (my goal). The run I felt comfortable then, plodding along at bout 5 min/km, able to hold conversations etc on the way. Finished in 5:16 which I was delighted with. All set for Austira now. How'd you get on yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

I had done this last year when I was a weaker swimmer. I did it then in 1:01. I did yesterday in 1:03! I felt like I was swimming with paddles on upstream portions. I was shocked with the time. Still, there were a good few bikes left in transition so I suspect people went slower than expected? The event was run really well. Marshalling was excellent, no signs to me of blatant drafting, though it's quite hard (but not impossible) to avoid on the technical part of the course with two way traffic and two event racing. That run course was so draining though! I did the exact same split in the bike and run this year as last. Baffling! A lot done, a lot more to do before IM Zurich in July. Well done Tri Athy, great event, well run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jackdunne2014

I thought this was an awful money racket for the fat cat organizer, over 2000 people spending a fortune to compete and with this only a couple of hundred quid available for prizes. The organizers have squeezed the life out of this event and it is not about the sport at all, only about the $$$$. The races are run to closely on overly congested routes which diminishes the experience of the sport. There wasn't one sign for an aid station on the bike route which is just dangerous. I heard from a few people that the Olympic routes were being closed early in order to cater for the evening scheduled race and allow for more people to be squeezed onto the course which of course equals more £££. Its unfortunate and highly cynical that this is the only way that triathlon races can be successful and popular in Ireland. I've seen too many commercialized races in this country in the past and its not a good environment to do a triathlon in. Its been a few years since I did this race and this will be my last year that's for sure. I intend on staying away from the event from now on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I thought this was an awful money racket for the fat cat organizer, over 2000 people spending a fortune to compete and with this only a couple of hundred quid available for prizes. The organizers have squeezed the life out of this event and it is not about the sport at all, only about the $$$$. The races are run to closely on overly congested routes which diminishes the experience of the sport. There wasn't one sign for an aid station on the bike route which is just dangerous. I heard from a few people that the Olympic routes were being closed early in order to cater for the evening scheduled race and allow for more people to be squeezed onto the course which of course equals more £££. Its unfortunate and highly cynical that this is the only way that triathlon races can be successful and popular in Ireland. I've seen too many commercialized races in this country in the past and its not a good environment to do a triathlon in. Its been a few years since I did this race and this will be my last year that's for sure. I intend on staying away from the event from now on. :(

In.my opinion this is pure horses**t and smacks of begrudgery. I was in the last wave of the Olympic, came out well down in the swim and saw no evidence of efforts to close the bike route. As for aid stations on an Olympic route, totally unnecessary - most bikes can carry 2 bottles.

Yes it's a commercial venture run with the involvement of a tri club but it is TI sanctioned and from what I saw yesterday is well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Very good now. I was one of the first in the water so a 10-15 minute wait for everyone to get in had me nice and cold. The start was messy (200 people trying to fit under a bridge but once I got moving I felt fine. Swim in 1:01 onto the bike where I kept my pace above 30kmh for the duration (my goal). The run I felt comfortable then, plodding along at bout 5 min/km, able to hold conversations etc on the way. Finished in 5:16 which I was delighted with. All set for Austira now. How'd you get on yourself?

Good work. Nice when a plan comes together.

Swim and bike went very well. Probably the first time ever I felt so comfortable in the water and was out of it in under the hour. Bike went very well and felt strong throughout.
    I suffered a tad on the run and that surface didn't help. But all in all, very happy with the race. Countdown is well and truly on now :)

Here's hoping for a successful few weeks training.

A tad harsh that.

I agree the prize money is pretty poor considering the number of entries but there's no fear of me having to worry about that.

Nice swim course busy but easy to navigate transition nice bike course also busy but nice to be on closed roads. Although Kildare co.co could do us a favour and sort out the road in around the train tracks very lumpy.

The run course really let's them down. The route is grand but the ground underfoot is pretty terrible especially down near the river bank which is a Shame as it's a scenic route.

I saw one guy from KK club take a tumble on the tree roots just passed the water station and you could feel the grass dragging on your runners (that could be my running though) and as mentioned before it's a game of chicken when it comes to overtaking.

Enjoyable event great weather again and chicken curry and a beer albeit alcohol frei to finish seems like €€€ well spent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

altercor wrote: »
    I had done this last year when I was a weaker swimmer. I did it then in 1:01. I did yesterday in 1:03!

Did the Olympic yesterday.

Last year i had to back stroke, breast stroke/ walk upstream as i was still nervous in the OW. Swam the whole thing yesterday without stopping, feeling strong except for touch of cramp near the end and my time was 30 secs slower than last year - can't work it out!!

Podge83 wrote: »
    Did the Olympic yesterday.

Last year i had to back stroke, breast stroke/ walk upstream as i was still nervous in the OW. Swam the whole thing yesterday without stopping, feeling strong except for touch of cramp near the end and my time was 30 secs slower than last year - can't work it out!!

The current wasn't nearly as strong last year so you probably worked harder going up and were to tired to take advantage of the flow going down. It was fastest near the bouys so the quickest line was up beside the bank and down beside the buoys.

• Advertisement

This is a commercial event with a good customer base. Now there are things to be unhappy about, namely the prizes (and the winners purse is sh1te), the run route and parts of the cycle route. However, business is business and if that pisses you off stay away from the commercial races - there are plenty of other ones about - all with good and bad points.

Fair play to the organizers for producing an event that is a success. I thought that doing it all in one day was biting a bit too much off but they seem to have managed it well now for a few years.

However, it is a business with clients - each competitor is a client. With so many turning every year something must be right.

Triathlon races in the country vary in size and quality. That's a good thing, as people who like the different types of races are broadly catered for through the year.

The organizers probably do the best with whats available - Getting a good cycle, run and swim route in one spot to cater for the big numbers isn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

this was my third time doing the sprint, and yesterday was my fastest swim split of the 3. Personally I thought the current/flow was much stronger last year, it appears I'm alone with this opinion though! Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

My sister did the race at the weekend.

She was up all last night vomiting and suffering from diarrhea.

She's convinced it was the water in the river. I know there are risks about river swims.

Has anyone else been sick?

micar wrote: »

She's convinced it was the water in the river. I know there are risks about river swims.

Good chance it was the water, best to avoid swallowing any. I know Dublin tri highlights the risks of Weil's etc. in the Liffey. Probably not as bad in the Barrow but still there's a risk with all inland waterways.

Plenty of fluids and if it doesn't pass down to the doc with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭micar

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Good chance it was the water, best to avoid swallowing any. I know Dublin tri highlights the risks of Weil's etc. in the Liffey. Probably not as bad in the Barrow but still there's a risk with all inland waterways.

Plenty of fluids and if it doesn't pass down to the doc with her.

She swallowed a lot of water and drank almost nothing on the bike. I suppose she did not wash out the river water quick enough.

She is going to the chemist later to get something.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

She swallowed a lot of water and drank almost nothing on the bike. I suppose she did not wash out the river water quick enough.

She is going to the chemist later to get something.

Get proper medical advice. Weils afaik comes in two bouts, you seem to recover from a mild bug but a short time later become really ill. Because of the risk she should visit a doctor.

Down the docs i reckon. Better be safe.

Had she any cuts/ open wounds - path to infection.

There were many swimming close to the reeds yesterday due to the current - more risk over there.

Most likely nothing serious and might just be a bug but better to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I wasn't well the next day but wasn't as bad as your sister. I've swam the river several times this year already and didn't have a problem before and I tend to drink small amounts when swimming. I'm fine now but I blame the sh1te I ate/ drank after the race and not the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Always a bit suspicious when someones first post is something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Great day out

did Olympic , knocked 7 mins off my swim time from last year , which was my first ever tri. Not sure whats the improvement and whats the flow

Nice touch with the erdinger after the race

Same negative as last year , is the run , so dodgy , im surprised I only saw 1 person limping . Not sure why they couldnt do an out an back along the road , road is closed so ya have 2 lanes and footpath to fit everyone.

Thought the organisation was spot on though and marshalling very good

saw a good bit of drafting but was people on road bikes doing about 25kmph prob just newbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I was down taking photos on Saturday as the wife was racing the Sprint.

It's hard to spot club members and only take photos of them so I hedged my bets and just fired of pictures of everyone so I didn't miss anyone in the club.

If anyone wants originals message me. Feel free to share.

Photos are here --> TriAthy2014

Edit: I was in 4 locations during the afternoon - first at the exit of T1 for the Try-a-tri, then at the T1 exit for the Sprint. I then went back to the entrance for t2 before moving about 50m from the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Nice pics, thanks very much.
    I'll blame... fatigue for that horrific looking heel strike?! Need to sort that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

Just a tip a can if the good old coca cola after a river swim like that usually kills all the bugs in the tummy

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Thanks for unplanned evening activity =) .... went through 90% of your pics, they are fab!
    Note to myself... shedding a pound or two (more like a stone) wouldn't hurt
    I was down taking photos on Saturday as the wife was racing the Sprint.

It's hard to spot club members and only take photos of them so I hedged my bets and just fired of pictures of everyone so I didn't miss anyone in the club.

If anyone wants originals message me. Feel free to share.

Photos are here --> TriAthy2014

Edit: I was in 4 locations during the afternoon - first at the exit of T1 for the Try-a-tri, then at the T1 exit for the Sprint. I then went back to the entrance for t2 before moving about 50m from the finish line.

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    Note to myself... shedding a pound or two (more like a stone) wouldn't hurt

Thinking the same myself. Back to spin class. Yikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sillystoon

Just wondering, has anyone or know of anyone that has received their prizes for Triathy. Great event but the delay in this area is taking the gloss of a very good race. Don't seem to be replying to e-mails once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Doesn't look like the official results are available yet. They are not up on the TI website and the NS points from the race are not awarded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

sillystoon wrote: »
    Just wondering, has anyone or know of anyone that has received their prizes for Triathy. Great event but the delay in this area is taking the gloss of a very good race. Don't seem to be replying to e-mails once again.

Nope, it took a few months I think last year so I wouldn't be waiting by the letterbox...

sillystoon wrote: »

I think there are a few queries in the results. I've also emailed them with no reply.

Dont know why it takes so long, but it does.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

Podge83 wrote: »
    I think there are a few queries in the results. I've also emailed them with no reply.

Dont know why it takes so long, but it does.

Is good to know is not only me who they ignore :)

Advertisement