Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfed baby not taking bottles

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

..... And she's refused the bottle again all day today and all evening. She's now lying on me flaked in a milk coma and I want to cry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh dear :(

They're such little tyrants when it suits them. Give the sippy cup a try as she has no negative associations with it and it isn't an imitation of a boob.

Oh dear :(

They're such little tyrants when it suits them. Give the sippy cup a try as she has no negative associations with it and it isn't an imitation of a boob.

Thanks how strange. I tried se
    EbM in a shot glass and she screamed. Will try sippy cup today.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Have any of you tried using breast shields when bf? That way baby is getting bf, close to mammy, all tge comforting smells etc but also getting used to a teat at the same time. I have twins so was always planning on combined feeding and the breastfeeding midwife told me to do this. my two will drink from literally any shape teat - dunno if thats due to the shields or just luck but worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

just from my experiencing of breast feeding my two. I dont think the type of bottle matters its so different that's what they dont like. Warmed expressed or formula milk is very important as like someone else said breast milk is body temp. I also used initally breast feeding them and then slipping in the bottle and my two were ebf so def knew the difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Eibhlin2011

MAM bottles were the ones that worked for us in the end

Hi all, just a quick update. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

So she's begun to take a bottle of EBM (reluctantly). I tried all the ones suggested. Then lastly the MAM bottles which she doesn't seem to mind as much. So thanks to who suggested them as id never even heard of them :).

So she's now latching and sucking. Problem now is she only sucks enough to take the edge of her hunger and then stops and won't take anymore from the bottle but is looking for the rest of her feed from me! She could take (50-90) from bottle then needs the rest from the boob!... She's a smart cookie. So much more stubborn than my son. Any tips for getting her to take the full bottle would be much appreciated! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi all, just a quick update. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

So she's begun to take a bottle of EBM (reluctantly). I tried all the ones suggested. Then lastly the MAM bottles which she doesn't seem to mind as much. So thanks to who suggested them as id never even heard of them :).

So she's now latching and sucking. Problem now is she only sucks enough to take the edge of her hunger and then stops and won't take anymore from the bottle but is looking for the rest of her feed from me! She could take (50-90) from bottle then needs the rest from the boob!... She's a smart cookie. So much more stubborn than my son. Any tips for getting her to take the full bottle would be much appreciated! :)

Fair play to you. That's great progress.

Does she take a proper feed from you or is it just comfort sucking? Could you distract her with something and try the bottle again after an hour or so to finish the feed?

kandr10 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. That's great progress.

Does she take a proper feed from you or is it just comfort sucking? Could you distract her with something and try the bottle again after an hour or so to finish the feed?

It's a proper feed I think. A feed for her would be between 120-150ml. We'd be extremely lucky to get 90ml bottle into her and then she'd latch onto me for a good 5minutes.

Have tried the distraction and retrying the bottle a while later but she's as stubborn! I just happy she's taking some tho... At least I know if I do need to go out she won't starve! Lol

You've got one head strong little girl there Sligo ! Your determination paid off in getting her to take the bottle. This has got to be your final hurdle! I wouldn't offer the breast at all. Keep bottle feeds and breast feeds separate. Probably easier said if she's upset I know.

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    You've got one head strong little girl there Sligo ! Your determination paid off in getting her to take the bottle. This has got to be your final hurdle! I wouldn't offer the breast at all. Keep bottle feeds and breast feeds separate. Probably easier said if she's upset I know.

Thanks. I think you're right. Not going to give her the breast anymore after the bottle. Will keep it entirely seperate and hopefully then she will start taking more if she knows she won't get what she really wants! Lol

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Thanks. I think you're right. Not going to give her the breast anymore after the bottle. Will keep it entirely seperate and hopefully then she will start taking more if she knows she won't get what she really wants! Lol

There's no underestimating how clever bAbies are is there! They know what they want for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Sligo1 thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of this thread, i honestly feel like I could have written this myself! Sounds like I'll have to keep persisting and maybe try the Nuk and Mam teats :)

Best of luck! And I hope your wee one isn't as headstrong as mine was! :)

I'll let you know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hey fbm, I feel your pain! We were trying for weeks to get him to take a bottle if ebm from his dad as I had to go back to work at 14 wks. He wouldn't take it for ages, screamed the house down. It was awful rough on Dad :( we tried a few bottles but the ones that came with my pump worked, medela slow flow. We just kept giving him one bottle every evening until he took it.

One bit if advice if you are planning on continuing breastfeeding as well as bottle: I was advised by lactation consultant to use a slow flow nipple. She said that you don't want the baby getting used to an easy fast flow nipple because then it'll be too much hard work when baby is back on boob, which is harder to suck from, and they may not want the boob. I've a friend here who is exclusively pumping as her guy won't take the boob anymore after a few weeks of just bottles when she was sick. I don't know how she does it!

This is a great thread. As I've been off over Christmas dad has only given him one bottle and he wasn't too pleased about it. He was sucking but then not swallowing it all and it was drinking out of his mouth. I didn't know they could go backwards and refuse the bottle after a break from it. Better get back on it today!

Thanks madeinamerica, good to know he took it in the end. We've mainly been using that Medela teat but she still just won't swallow the milk that gets in her mouth. It's cry, gargle, spit. We've just switched to a sippy cup with the lid on and it's more of the same but guess we'll keep trying. Good luck getting him back on the bottle!

This is what I think of your attempts to bottle feed me... (FYI that is the contents of one full boob and about an ounce of expressed milk her father got into her for the first time.) the force is strong with this one!

O my gosh!!! But what a sweetie! :)

Lol she is a cutie so we'll forgive her anything and keep trying. It was actually progress though, even though it ended up on the floor. We used a vari flow teat and the milk seemed almost to be flowing Back and drowning her, forcing her to swallow. But it was a bit scary tbh so we'll try the size 1 teat again next time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement