Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message Translation for a Teacher

• 24-05-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've just finished 6th Year and as I'm hoping to study French, I wanted to buy a gift for my French teacher. I'm going to get a coffee cup printed with a message on the side of itFor my Irish teacher, I have "Gaeltacht Bheag an Seomra Seo", and I was hoping for roughly the same, although the best I could come up with is "Cette salle est un petit morceau de la France". I'm wondering if this is grammatically correct, and could anyone offer a better or more idiomatic way of phrasing it.

Thanks in advance,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Technically it's right, but I think "un petit coin" rather than "morceau" would be kind of nicer French.

edit: also, nice idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dpat1l

Thanks :) I though Morceau didn't sound very good, but I had no other word to use and have only ever used coin as corner so never thought about it. Thank's for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

No worries - disclaimer here, I'm not a French teacher, but I speak it pretty well, so saying it out loud that sounded more natural.

It still means corner here, but even in English having "a little corner of France" in Ireland sound a bit nicer than "a little bit of France" I think!

I agree with the corner idea, and it's ordered now so here's hoping ! Haha and I'm glad someone thinks it's a nice idea - everyone on this end just pulls strange faces when I mention it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I'd have just said "Ici on parle français !", or "Dans cette salle, on parle français !".

/puts on French teacher hat

If you went with "coin", I'm afraid it should really have been "un petit coin de France", not "de la France".
    But your teacher will forgive you! :)

• Advertisement

Ah I knew I'd do something wrong!! :D But sure isn't it the thought that counts? xD

Advertisement