Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need sugar and can I use corks instead of caps?

Options
  • 24-05-2014 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I recently got a brewing kit second hand with about 30 750ml bottles with a bag of corks as well.

I'm going to brewing St. peter's Ruby Red Ale:

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/st-peters-ruby-red-ale-kit-3kg-makes-40-pints-p-748.html

I was wondering, can I use the bag of corks, will they pop of while the beer is fermenting in the bottle?

Also, do I need to add sugar to the St. peter's kit? It doesn't say anywhere on the instructions? Maybe its included in the cans?

I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    can I use the bag of corks, will they pop of while the beer is fermenting in the bottle?
    I wouldn't recommend it. The bottles may not be up to spec for carbonated drinks either.
    Beanstalk wrote: »
    do I need to add sugar to the St. peter's kit?
    No, it's a 3kg kit, so all the fermentables are in the cans. You'll just need to add a little sugar when bottling to carbonate it.

Advertisement