Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programme scholarships

Options
  • 24-05-2014 3:30pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

My GPA for semester one was 4.07, semester two probably won't be quite as good due to a serious illness in my immediate family but I think overall for the year it'll still be fairly high and hope I might be in with a shout for a programme scholarship. Are the scholarships awarded solely on GPA? And is there only one per programme? Is it awarded every year? When do they notify the recipients?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

In my year they gave two for a class of around 150 but both of them had 4.2's. If you're top you'll get it - depends on the rest of the class.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Thanks, good to know. There's only 28 in my class so it'll probably just be the one. Will have to wait and see. Do you know when the recipients were notified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'm afraid not, I was only told the following September when we got back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Are you guys referring to the University Scholarships? They seem really inconsistent: different "stipend" amounts; some given after every year, with some just once.

Does anyone know if there is a list of recipients - I'd quite like to know how many are given out in each faculty?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 literatefarmer

Just to chip in (even though it's not necessarily relevant) - mine was 3.9 in Arts and I got a programme scholarship. I would assume that a slightly lower GPA is to be expected for Arts awardees because there is no such thing as a perfect answer in the humanities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Are you guys referring to the University Scholarships? They seem really inconsistent: different "stipend" amounts; some given after every year, with some just once.

Does anyone know if there is a list of recipients - I'd quite like to know how many are given out in each faculty?
    In arts (and possibly other areas, I don't know) it's not done on overall GPA, but on subject GPA (3.68+ in one and 3.4+ in the second one or something like that) -- which really leads to a situation where there is no defined number of scholars I imagine, but probably a cap on it. My course is a subset of arts and there were only 2 of us, but arts overall had around 20. Glancing at the programme, there were quite varied numbers in the different stages of science courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 literatefarmer

sorry, mixed up programme scholarships with Ad Astra!

Advertisement