Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storing fried onion and garlic

Options
  • 24-05-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

hi
    I want to fry some onion and garlic in olive oil and keep it for making pasta sauce

how would i store it?

can i freeze it and how long would it keep in a fridge?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say 3 months in the freezer and a week or so in the fridge. Don't think it would b just as good as cooking it fresh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put it in a clean jar (dishwasher or hot oven will sterilise a jar)
    Tapping it so all the air bubbles are out and then top with Oil, any oil will do just as long as its relatively tasteless.
    Make sure you use something to push the stuff down so as little air bubbles as possible remain.
    You may need to top it up again with oil so the onion/garlic is covered by 1cm or so.
    Replace lid and keep in fridge.
    This will last a long time in the fridge, just spoon out what you need as you cook.
    I have made this and used it for 3 months with no sign of spoilage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

thanks
    I would only need it for a month max
    it's just the aldi garlic and onion go off before I get them all used up

having the garlic and onion ready for the sauce will be convenient too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Hmm might try this. I use onion and garlic in loads of my dinners, and I hate the smell of my hands after chopping them! Would be so handy to just have a jar in the fridge!

I wonder would it be a good idea to add a little salt to the jar too, would it help preserve it at all?

Also I assume it would be fine to store them that way raw, then just fry as needed? I'd kind of prefer that, as I'd always be frying up other veggies at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Do you need to keep topping it up with oil as you use it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I fry off Garlic, Onions and Shallots in this manner and store them in jars covered in oil.
    As long as the oil covers the fried stuff it will last and not oxidise.
    Great timesaver.
    As you use it the oil level might drop and you just add more to cover the product.
    This won't work with raw stuff, only cooked.

Advertisement