Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD Ext Hdd not reconised in Win7

Options
  • 24-05-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Had the Hdd plugged in to the Win7-64bit laptop and all work well. Went to do something this morning and Win7-64bit bits and something has connected but no extra hdd showing in My computer window .Cant find anything on the web that works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably drive letter conflict. Undo what you did earlier and see if it comes back. A system restore to a previous date might also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Do Ext Hdd not take the next available letter each time you plug it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

cubix wrote: »
    Do Ext Hdd not take the next available letter each time you plug it in.

Are you just adding a 2nd ext drive? It's not clear from your first post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Didn't make it very clear, was using an Ext HDD via USB, below is the soloution that worked for me. May have occurred as I never use the "safely remove your hardware" icon on the task bar but always simply pull the plug. Job done:) Not my work by the way

The resolution was to:

1.Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    2.Right mouse click on My Computer
    3.Left click on Manage
    4.Left click on Device Manager
    5.Expand the USB list
    6.Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    7.Right mouse click - Uninstall
    8.Turn off the external USB hard drive
    9.Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
    10.It should work

Advertisement