Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QPR in trouble?

• 24-05-2014 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭

When the ball hits the net, all the ladies get wet
    It's Zamora!

Anybody else witness this amazing magical goal? Scored by none other that St Bobby. To hold off the hot favourites with just 10 men and then pounce ....... surreal.
    I feel a kinda sorry for the QPR knockers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Is it true they have a greater wage bill than Atletico Madrid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    It's Zamora!

Anybody else witness this amazing magical goal? Scored by none other that St Bobby. To hold off the hot favourites with just 10 men and then pounce ....... surreal.

Yeah, I saw it. Such a fantastic achievement. Plucky little QPR, posting losses touching £70m, with a wage bill 128% of their turnover and larger than that of some clubs fighting it out at the upper reaches of the elite level of European competition. Winning the Championship play-off final is just magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Paddy_R wrote: »

At least its a wage bill that with their owner, they can afford. Atletico can't, hence the tax debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Really???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hopefully the Thames barrier will not hold the tide back next winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Double, if the papers are to be believed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Really???

Apparently so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Read that. But the comparison with Dortmund is correct. However, the hype about fines etc is just that. They either will contest it or will not. The owner is no Johnny-come-lately and his legal advisers will weigh up the chances first.
    C'mon you Rs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Fair play to them. Were very good defensively today and it will be good to see if they are able to push on in the top league and not make the same mistakes. Great to see Harry back in the big leagues

Doesn't really matter if they have a bigger wage bill than all the other clubs in the world combined, all they had to do this season was win enough matches to get into the Premiership, and they did.

Transfer-wise, it makes it that but more exciting as well :)

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw it. Such a fantastic achievement. Plucky little QPR, posting losses touching £70m, with a wage bill 128% of their turnover and larger than that of some clubs fighting it out at the upper reaches of the elite level of European competition. Winning the Championship play-off final is just magnificent.

You're still bitter. Why? You were posting comments like this a few years ago - before any losses were announced.
    You should watch and enjoy the football. Let the bean counters and legal eagles sort out that side of it. I think you're overdoing your imagined qualifications to make an intelligent decision on this point.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Hopefully the Thames barrier will not hold the tide back next winter.

You mean, you'd rather see synchronized underwater ballet at Stamford Bridge next August? And think of Millwall, Charlton and Fulham ........ I think their elevation is lower.

Disappointed to find out this isn't a football chants thread...

ah screw it...

WHAT'S THAT COMING OVER THE HILL!? SHABANI NONDA!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

You're still bitter. Why? You were posting comments like this a few years ago - before any losses were announced.
    You should watch and enjoy the football. Let the bean counters and legal eagles sort out that side of it. I think you're overdoing your imagined qualifications to make an intelligent decision on this point.

So your saying he predicted correctly then?

If you think football fans shouldn't discuss finances your deluded. This 'just watch and enjoy football' is nice and rosy and all but it's way off the plain of realism.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Disappointed to find out this isn't a football chants thread...

Sorry! No entertainment licence ....... other than watching the beautiful game!

Hope you like this:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/24/bobby-zamora-scores-134million-goal-to-win-qpr-promotion-to-premier-league-4739169/

Corholio wrote: »
    So your saying he predicted correctly then?

If you think football fans shouldn't discuss finances your deluded. This 'just watch and enjoy football' is nice and rosy and all but it's way off the plain of realism.
    I'm saying that if you read his posts over the past few years ....... he obviously has a problem with QPR. He posts a lot of negative waffle about them.
    Now if you think that this is predicting anything .......... you're reading too much Nostradamus.

I fail to see what difference the financial arrangements that the board make are changed by your man on the street. If fans' legitimate worries about finances or transfers etc have ever influenced decisions that were made at board level, I'd be interested to hear.

The realism (in professional sport)that you allude to?

Was I? If you're going to post bollocks you might as well try to be slightly accurate. A sample of my posts on QPR below:

February 2011 - QPR vs Forest - "both proper clubs who I would like to see back in the Premier League ASAP" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70621797&postcount=3

April 2011 - "good to see them back. They're a proper club with a good history and it's always a good away day" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71964970&postcount=8

September 2011 - "hoping for a QPR win" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74587412&postcount=6

To be honest, it's difficult to enjoy watching QPR when they don't even play good football, all the more astonishing when you take into account the money spent. My problem is the **** over being promoted through the playoffs and you trying to rub peoples faces in it, yet with the money spent and a wage bill totaling more than some top European teams, anything other than promotion would have been a complete disgrace. It's not even an achievement, it's at best a minimum expectation. "Just watch and enjoy the football" - ask Portsmouth fans now what they think of that when they were told the same thing back in 2010.

My imagined qualifications? I'd be amazed if, with my actual qualifications being what they are, that I wasn't more, or at least equally, as qualified than you to speak on such matters. Also, what decision have I made regarding the finances? I haven't posted any decision, just discussed what is widely available from numerous sources. Again, you're talking bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Paully D wrote: »
    Was I? If you're going to post bollocks you might as well try to be slightly accurate. A sample of my posts on QPR below:

February 2011 - QPR vs Forest - "both proper clubs who I would like to see back in the Premier League ASAP" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70621797&postcount=3

April 2011 - "good to see them back. They're a proper club with a good history and it's always a good away day" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71964970&postcount=8

September 2011 - "hoping for a QPR win" - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74587412&postcount=6

To be honest, it's difficult to enjoy watching QPR when they don't even play good football, all the more astonishing when you take into account the money spent. My problem is the **** over being promoted through the playoffs and you trying to rub peoples faces in it, yet with the money spent and a wage bill totaling more than some top European teams, anything other than promotion would have been a complete disgrace. It's not even an achievement, it's at best a minimum expectation. "Just watch and enjoy the football" - ask Portsmouth fans now what they think of that when they were told the same thing back in 2010.

My imagined qualifications? I'd be amazed if, with my actual qualifications being what they are, that I wasn't more, or at least equally, as qualified than you to speak on such matters. Also, what decision have I made regarding the finances? I haven't posted any decision, just discussed what is widely available from numerous sources. Again, you're talking bollocks.

It's absolute nonsense to say that fans shouldn't celebrate their favourite team getting promoted because what, they have money?!

Oh and I do love this "they don't even play good football", they got promoted, job done. It doesn't make sense to throw a tantrum over QPR for the most feeble reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

With Remy, Park and Taarabt off the wage bill it will have been a lot lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So what exactly is the point of this thread?

So what exactly is the point of this thread?
    Read the thread headline. That might give you a pointer.

• Advertisement

Read the thread headline. That might give you a pointer.

Is it about the fairly ordinary goal or the fact that QPR go up?
    Is it about your love of Bobby Zamora?
    Or maybe you just wanted to have a go at someone who you thought doesn't like QPR?

Is it about the fairly ordinary goal or the fact that QPR go up?
    Is it about your love of Bobby Zamora?
    Or maybe you just wanted to have a go at someone who you thought doesn't like QPR?

How could I have a go at anyone that hadn't yet replied to the thread?
    Zamora is a very well like and respected player.
    The song is also a beautiful song.

A fairly ordinary goal?
    Most goals involve the ball crossing the line. With a few notable exceptions.
    Every goal is sweet if it's for your team.
    A goal that wins promotion is far from being an ordinary goal.

Am now heading out to celebrate. Cheers!

How could I have a go at anyone that hadn't yet replied to the thread?!

Seemed you were looking for it...
    feel sorry for all the QPR knockers

Fair enough if I'm wrong but your posts were giving off a bit of a confrontational attitude.
    Enjoy your celebrations.

It's absolute nonsense to say that fans shouldn't celebrate their favourite team getting promoted because what, they have money?!

Oh and I do love this "they don't even play good football", they got promoted, job done. It doesn't make sense to throw a tantrum over QPR for the most feeble reasons.

Fair comment on the celebration point. I did the same when my team stayed up this year despite the fact we never should have been in that position so I admit defeat on that one.

However, why should I, as a non-supporter, "just watch and enjoy the football" of a side who I feel don't play football that is good on the eye? Yeah, sure, they got the job done. It's a job I personally feel they should have done weeks ago without the need for the play-offs due to the resources at their disposal in comparison to the rest of the league. Team with most money and biggest wage bill in the league in getting promoted shocker. :eek:

I really don't care enough about it to have a long argument over it anyway. I would have preferred Derby to come up, mainly because I feel QPR will be competing for the same sort of players as my own team because of their location and the sort of money they will throw at them. Then again, I thought that the last time they were in the division and look how that turned out! To say I have been posting negative comments about QPR for years like I have been accused of is complete and utter baseless rubbish though. I'd argue that one would struggle to find many people that don't support the club that have made as many positive comments about them on here.

The lack of a response to my retort from the poster in question when proved completely wrong about my views on QPR probably says all that needs to be said. With over 95% of his posts coming from After Hours and most of them of a confrontational, antagonistic nature, I should have known better than to even bother.

bannatyne.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

With any luck, Clint Hill will still (I'm a poet...) be starting for them next season.

Won't have to put up with QPR in the Premier League for long if that's the case.

For the uninformed and, er, challenged:

So how big a penalty could QPR face?

Had QPR remained in the Football League, they would have faced a transfer embargo until such time as they could "demonstrate they were on track to record acceptable losses or profit".
    However, having secured promotion to the Premier League, they will be subject to a fine. A club is allowed to lose up to £8m without sanction. Above that level, there is a sliding scale on the next £10m of losses, with a maximum fine of £6.681m.
    Once losses exceed £18m, the fine is imposed on a strict pound-for-pound basis.
    So, should there be an overall loss of £30m, the Football League would be left chasing almost £19m. If it was £50m, the figure would be nearly £39m and if QPR were to match last year's loss, their fine would be almost £54m.

The end of the world according to the naysayers. You gotta be joking .........or feeble minded.

C'mon you RRRRRsssss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Get him on the plane to brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

You mean, you'd rather see synchronized underwater ballet at Stamford Bridge next August? And think of Millwall, Charlton and Fulham ........ I think their elevation is lower.

Jose has bought this, just in case.

P1250914_-_Swimming_bus.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's Zamora!

When your sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, it's Zamora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

When your sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, it's Zamora.

Not on Saturday😉😉😉😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

For the uninformed and, er, challenged:

So how big a penalty could QPR face?

Had QPR remained in the Football League, they would have faced a transfer embargo until such time as they could "demonstrate they were on track to record acceptable losses or profit".
    However, having secured promotion to the Premier League, they will be subject to a fine. A club is allowed to lose up to £8m without sanction. Above that level, there is a sliding scale on the next £10m of losses, with a maximum fine of £6.681m.
    Once losses exceed £18m, the fine is imposed on a strict pound-for-pound basis.
    So, should there be an overall loss of £30m, the Football League would be left chasing almost £19m. If it was £50m, the figure would be nearly £39m and if QPR were to match last year's loss, their fine would be almost £54m.

The end of the world according to the naysayers. You gotta be joking .........or feeble minded.

C'mon you RRRRRsssss!

With £100m+ in additional revenue about to hit the coffers I'd doubt they'll post massive losses again next year. Unless of course they blow a load of money because they've got into the Premier League. Which is entirely possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Seamu$ wrote: »
    With £100m+ in additional revenue about to hit the coffers I'd doubt they'll post massive losses again next year. Unless of course they blow a load of money because they've got into the Premier League. Which is entirely possible!

Given the track record of both the owner and manager, I'd imagine the idea of fiscal responsibility will be out the window, as the likes of Joe Cole, Glen Johnson and Rio Ferdinand find someone willing to pay them what they were once on at bigger clubs in their prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Seamu$ wrote: »

They lost 65 million quid the last time they were here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I never really cared for QPR nor was I too pushed when they won the other day but after this thread I hope they're relegated next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Iang87 wrote: »
    I never really cared for QPR nor was I too pushed when they won the other day but after this thread I hope they're relegated next year

After they gave up Man City too hand them 2 goals I'll never forgive them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

F365 had a really good article on QPR.

Wage bill higher then Dortmund and Athletico.
    More international capped players in their squad then a raft of clubs competing in the Champions league.
    Only second to Manchester United for having Premier league minutes played per player.
    Scrapped back to PL
    Something like second lowest scorers in the league or something RIDICULOUS .

Should be absolutely embarrassed, they should have walked that league.

Redknapp getting away with murder again in the English press, being praised for what was in reality another terrible effort from him.

It's an unbelievable turn of events to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

A couple of points.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Wage bill higher then Dortmund and Athletico.
    When they went down from the Premier League. The wage bill was cut substantially this season by removing some of the higher earners either out on loan or for good.
    More international capped players in their squad then a raft of clubs competing in the Champions league.
    And how many are still playing regularly for their country? And of those that are, how many are not in their 30s and coming to the end of their careers?
    Only second to Manchester United for having Premier league minutes played per player.
    Again, look at the average age of the squad.
    Something like second lowest scorers in the league or something RIDICULOUS .
    This is clearly bollocks. There were about 10 Championship teams that scored less goals than QPR this season and they also had the 4th best defence.
    Should be absolutely embarrassed, they should have walked that league.
    The loss of Charlie Austin for a large chunk of the season with no real replacement, and McClaren taking the Derby job were big factors in us losing momentum in the middle of the season, imo.
    Redknapp getting away with murder again in the English press, being praised for what was in reality another terrible effort from him.
    I'm not seeing that, tbh. I'm certainly not Redknapp's biggest fan and I have been absolutely baffled by a lot of his decisions this season, but the fact remains, he took a dressing room that was just falling apart at the end of last season, got rid of the bad eggs that were clearly causing the problems, and ultimately done what was asked of him - got them back playing like a group of players that actually gave a shit and got them into the Premier League at the first time of asking.

A lot of QPR's wage bill is being paid by other clubs. Remy (Newcastle), Taarabt (Milan), Granero (Sociedad), Ji-Sung Park (Eindhoven) and Mbia (Seville) etc.

The idea of a well balanced, grown up, individual "hating" or "not liking" another team is a little puerile. Or the need to follow one team at the exclusion of all others smacks of obsessive behaviour.

Ye know who ye are ......... check in to make an appointment with an analyst. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A lot of QPR's wage bill is being paid by other clubs. Remy (Newcastle), Taarabt (Milan), Granero (Sociedad), Ji-Sung Park (Eindhoven) and Mbia (Seville) etc.

The idea of a well balanced, grown up, individual "hating" or "not liking" another team is a little puerile. Or the need to follow one team at the exclusion of all others smacks of obsessive behaviour.

Ye know who ye are ......... check in to make an appointment with an analyst. :)

I seriously doubt those clubs are paying 100% of those players wages.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I seriously doubt those clubs are paying 100% of those players wages.

In loan signings, you get as much wages as possible from the other club. It's just like selling ........ the haggling, leaks to the Media, sound bites from agents etc. This significantly reduced QPR's wage bill ......... plus it keeps any malcontents away from the dressing room - which is worth far more than wonga.
    And the job got done at Loftus Rd ....... promotion. Regardless whether they ran away with The Championship or scraped in via The Playoffs.

If fines are imposed, or how much they are fined is up to FIFA - not the cry babies on boards.ie

• Advertisement

For the uninformed and, er, challenged

QPR accounts released last week, available to view here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/258474746/QPR-Holdings-limited-2014

Some good analysis from Nick Harris (of Sporting Intelligence) writing in the Daily Mail:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2993315/QPR-fined-50m-breaching-Financial-Fair-Play-rules.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Financial accounts for QPR show their 'real' losses last season were almost £70million - a figure that still leaves them facing a fine of more than £50m.
    The Football League's complex Financial Fair Play rules are designed to discourage rich owners buying success and endangering the health of their clubs. A tariff of fines is in place for clubs that massively overspend.

Earlier this month QPR announced they had made a loss of £9.8m but the accounts filed at Companies House now prove the smaller loss figure was only possible because of the owners, mainly Tony Fernandes, writing off £60m of old loans in an 'exceptional item' in the accounts.

Effectively, QPR counted that £60m write-off as extra income. But that money is noted in the accounts as being a 'related-party transaction' - and the Football League's own FFP rules explicitly rule out that related party moves of the kind QPR have undertaken. The League rule out such moves in order to prevent 'artificially' lowered losses.

A QPR spokesman told Sportsmail: 'We have no comment.'

A Football League spokesman reiterated an earlier League statement that the League remains in talks with QPR about the situation, but won't add details.
    If the League ultimately rule that QPR's 'real' losses are £69.8m, then the FFP fine they potentially face will be £57.9m. QPR will legitimately be able to write off some of that £69.8m as acceptable losses - for youth investment, and some bonuses, for example - but realistically they are looking at a fine of £50m-plus.

Yet QPR are locked in legal arguments questioning whether the League have the right to levy any fine at all, and if they do, at what levels.

QPR posted losses of £65.4m in the 2012-13 season and it was expected these might fall after cost-cutting in the Championship.

But the new accounts show in fact that as QPR's income plunged from £60.6m in 2012-13 to £38.7m in 2013-14, there was no significant reduction in the biggest single outgoing - player wages. The wage bill was £78m in the 2012-13 season and £75.4m in 2013-14 in the Championship.

Quite how this now plays out remains to be seen: lawyers are likely to remain occupied for weeks if not months or years on both sides.

If QPR avoid relegation from the Premier League this season, they can continue to refuse to pay any fine levied and the Football League will not be able to force them to pay while they remain in the Premier League - and outside Football League jurisdiction.

The worst-case scenario for QPR is relegation to the Football League while continuing to refuse to pay a fine to the League, who have already said QPR would not be allowed back into the Championship if there was an outstanding fine unpaid.

In other words, if QPR don't pay what the League ultimately demand and go down, they face the nightmare prospect of a drop to non-league football. Their lawyers are believed to be considering all options to prevent this.

Q: Queens Park Rangers accounts for 2013-14 have now been filed in detail at Companies House. What do they show?

A: They show that the club’s ‘true’ losses for last season were £69.8m, instead of the £9.8m declared by the club earlier this month. They used an accounting method, an ‘exceptional item’, to count a £60m write-off of loans to the owners as effective income. Their real income was £38.7m.

Q: Why does this matter?
    A: Because if clubs lose lots of money in the Championship, where QPR played last season, they face potential ‘Financial Fair Play’ fines from the Football League. The FFP rules are in place to stop clubs ‘financial doping’ and stop them spending themselves to bankruptcy. To simplify: clubs that massively overspend, and lose lots of money as a result, face fans which grow in relation to the overspending.

Q: How much fine do QPR face?
    A: If they’d really lost only £9.8m last season, the fine would have been tiny, perhaps not even a million pounds. But if the real loss is £69.8m, the fine could be as high as £58m, and is likely to be at least £50m. That would be the biggest fine on any club for any reason in global football history.

Q: Who will decide?
    A: Lawyers, probably. The parties are locked in talks about what happens next.

Q: What do QPR say?
    A: No comment.

And from Ed Thompson:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/qpr-s-accounts-released-and-heading-for-%C2%A350m-fine
    QPR’s controversial accounts were released this week. As anyone following this story will be aware, the club recently announced profits via a vague Press Release which claimed that surprisingly low losses of just £9.7m had been made in 2013/14. A number of people raised questions about how this could have been achieved without some accounting ‘slight-of-hand’ (see my previous article).

Now we have the accounts, it transpires that the club owners wrote off £60m in loans and classed this event as one-off income injection in the Profit & Loss account. If the £60m had been classified conventionally, the club would have reported a loss of £69.7m.

The Exceptional Item is classified in the accounts as a Related Party Transaction (i.e. a transaction with the owner or someone connected to the ownership of the club). This makes it easier for the Football League to invoke their RPT rules. The FFP rules make it clear that this kind of transaction simply cannot be included in the Fair Play Calculation. Section 2.2.1 of the rules explains how such an item must be treated for FFP purposes:

.. a permanent and unconditional waiver of inter-company or Related Party debt must be treated as a capital contribution, as it results in an increase in equity;

Hence QPR are actually facing a ‘Fair Play Tax’ bill for somewhere around £50m. All this raises a number of questions about the way the accounts the way the club has portrayed events.

The original QPR Press release (here) seemed to have been written to suggest that the improved figures were in large part due to due to lower player costs (whereas in reality the wage costs and amortisation have improved by less than £2m). You have to wonder why the club tried to present events as they did.
    The level of wages is interesting – essentially the club paid almost the same amount of wages in the Championship as they did in the Premier League (£77.3m). This is the highest level of wages ever paid by Championship club. OK, some of this figure (perhaps £5m or so) will relate to promotion bonuses but it is worth comparing QPRs wages to the approximately £13m wages paid by Derby –the club QPR defeated in the Play-off final. FFP constraints were brought in to help put a lid on wage escalation – however QPR almost seem to have felt they could play to a different set of rules.

The accounts themselves are also notable for the very thing they fail to mention: the £50m FFP fine. One would have thought Tony Fernandes Chairman’s Statement or the accountants or the auditors would have mentioned, at least in passing, a £50m fine? It is hardly small change and the fine is larger than last season’s turnover. If there is a juggernaut coming round the corner, the accounts should put you on notice – none of the professionals connected with pulling this document together have covered themselves in glory.

There is a potentially interesting detail in the way the £60m loan has been written off. QPR is owned 69% by a Tune QPR and 30% by Sea Dream. Tune QPR is owned by Fernandes, Maranun and Gnanalingam; Sea Dream is owned by the wealthy Mittal family. Of the £60m loan write-off, Mittal’s share was £5.6m or 11% of the amount written off. It is unclear why the write-off was structured in this way and it is possible that Tune QPR have agreed to be responsible for most of the debt.

Club debt now stands at £205m – despite the £60m loan cancellation, club debt has actually increased by around £5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just don't understand why an owner cannot write off club debt with his own money. Its his business and I think it's very unfair that they are not be allowed to put their club in good shape financially. They should at least put a fair figure that they can pump into their clubs per annum.

How are you supposed to build your business without investing in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

eagle eye wrote: »
    I just don't understand why an owner cannot write off club debt with his own money. Its his business and I think it's very unfair that they are not be allowed to put their club in good shape financially. They should at least put a fair figure that they can pump into their clubs per annum.

How are you supposed to build your business without investing in it?
    The worry here is what happens to the club after Fernandes, or anyone like him, gets a pain in his hole with the club or something happens to cause him to leave and the club has to operate as a going concern. Where does it leave the club then? As much as clubs are businesses, they are unique in the sense that one of their major stakeholders is their support and the governing bodies need to legislate for this. Take a look at Monaco. Their story tells you that your owner is a divorce (or other finicially impacting situation) away from not being able to afford to fund you anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The worry here is what happens to the club after Fernandes, or anyone like him, gets a pain in his hole with the club or something happens to cause him to leave and the club has to operate as a going concern. Where does it leave the club then? As much as clubs are businesses, they are unique in the sense that one of their major stakeholders is their support and the governing bodies need to legislate for this. Take a look at Monaco. Their story tells you that your owner is a divorce (or other finicially impacting situation) away from not being able to afford to fund you anymore.
    If the owner leaves the new owner has to pass a fit and proper test in order to take over the club. This is the safe guard set out to prevent a bad owner.

Imo an owner should be allowed to invest in his club. Abramovich has shown that a club can be developed and become successful. Chelsea are now a big brand just like Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. I think it's very unfair that other owners are not allowed to pump money into a club to try and achieve the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

What I don't understand is why the financial fair play between the leagues are not linked.

I know they are different organisations, but surely QPR should have been fined by now and it should not have to wait until they need to play in the Football League again.

Is there any other explanation other than the different organisations running the leagues?

What if it comes to a situation where an owner spends at a massive loss to get up to the Premier League, then leaves before the club gets relegated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm going change the thread title a little....

QPR 1/1000 with various bookmakers to be relegated now so I think it's safe to say they are down. It'll be very interesting to see what happens with regards to their possible £50m+ FFP fine:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/11587937/QPR-may-regret-failing-to-exploit-FFP-loophole.html
    Queens Park Rangers’ relegation from the Premier League appears to be a foregone conclusion. But the same cannot be said about what division they will be in next season, amid their ongoing battle to avoid a world-record £58 million Financial Fair Play fine.

The threat of being kicked out of the professional game – a scenario the chief executive of the Football League, Shaun Harvey, refused to rule out last year – remains a real one if QPR lose that fight and do not pay up.

Their fate hinges on the legitimacy of a write-off of £60 million of shareholder loans in their 2013-14 accounts, hardly the most subtle attempt to dodge an FFP sanction.

Yet, there is a genuine loophole in the regulations which Rangers failed to exploit, one which would almost certainly have reduced the impact on the club of the league’s so-called Fair Play Tax.

More gallingly for QPR, it is something which may have been employed by several of their rivals, Inside Sport has learnt.

A glance at the most recent accounts of Fulham highlights how, back in 2013, before their relegation from the Premier League, Rangers could have knocked tens of millions of pounds off any fine.

Last season saw Fulham’s losses rocket from £2.7 million to £33.3 million, a staggering increase considering they enjoyed a near-£20 million jump in turnover on the back of the new Premier League television deal.

More than half that loss (£16.9 million) was the result of what is known as ‘impairment’, a method of consolidating future losses on player purchases.

When most players are bought, their transfer fee is spread evenly over the course of their contract in a club’s accounts. So, the £50 million Chelsea paid for Fernando Torres in a five-year deal added £10 million per-season to their outgoings.

Fulham reversed this process, in an attempt to reduce their losses for this season and beyond. They would not comment on the reason for that, but it is understood that complying with FFP rules in the Championship was one motivation.

That is because, unlike in the Premier League, where clubs are permitted to make losses of £105 million over three years, Championship teams are only allowed to lose £8 million a season.

Fulham are unlikely to have been the only team to exploit this chasm. Cardiff City, relegated alongside them last season, reported £3.99 million and £6.58  million impairments in their two most recent sets of accounts.

Bolton Wanderers and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ respective 2012-13 financial figures also show impairments of £11.2 million and £12.5 million for what was the final season before FFP monitoring began.

Both clubs avoided the transfer embargo imposed this season on Leeds United, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers, none of whom documented specific impairments in the same period.

Cardiff and Bolton did not respond to requests for comment on whether their impairments were FFP related, while Wolves said they would have made use of them regardless of the regulations.

The exploitation of this loophole is unlikely to be stopped by the harmonised Premier League and Football League FFP regulations which kick in next year, although only relegated clubs could now benefit from it.

That raises serious questions about how the rules as they stand are being applied and whether teams should be allowed to consolidate their losses in this way.

A Football League spokesman said: “In instances where auditors are willing to sign off on a write down to the value of the business following relegation, it wouldn’t be for the League to question the valuation being applied if it has been deemed acceptable by the auditors.”

QPR may beg to differ – unless, of course, they decide to take the opportunity to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wonder does Wiley still feel sorry for the QPR knockers :P

Relegation confirmed today with the 7th highest wage bill in the Premier League. Frightening times if you're a QPR fan.

Lets all pray for Harry Redknapp's sore knee, thankfully he's now "fit as a fiddle" and ready to return to management :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3041846/Harry-Redknapp-reveals-feels-fit-fiddle-consider-management-return-just-two-months-quitting-QPR.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

It's Zamora!

Watta great day to be a QPR knocker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement