Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old software you still use

Options
  • 24-05-2014 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

With the recent demise of support for Windows XP, I found myself looking at the old programs I still use and love:

Paint Shop Pro 4.12 from 1998 - Easily lets me add text layers to images.

Microsoft Photo Editor 3.01 from 1998 - Has a great tool for quickly selecting
    and copying sections of an image to cover over other sections of the image.

Winamp 5.24 from 2006 - a fast and small music play that just plays music files without hassle.

What old software do you find youself still using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Notepad, going strong since 1985.:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Vim :cool:

I use and old CAD package called Pro/Desktop by PTC. It's notting special, isn't particularly stable and only has one undo but **** me it's a mile better than the horror that is Pro/Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow no, the oldest thing I use? Everything is spiffy and up to date. The oldest I'd say is probably f.lux, which doesnt get updated very often. Everything else is pretty up to date - even office 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Overheal wrote: »
    The oldest I'd say is probably f.lux, which doesnt get updated very often.

Does that actually do what it says on the tin?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Photo Impression from 2002 I think... First photo editing stuff I got good at as a wee lad...

Still use XP on a desktop at home from 10 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Regularly used old software each day. Some of the software we use is still in cmd prompt. Having a real problem trying to get replacement machines for some of the computers. Have an old gateway system still in use aswell as a maxdata desktop. Also have a sun Microsystems sun blade 2000 which was bought for $20000 new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

just Winamp 5.56, still the best music player as far I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I have a game called The Chaos Engine (release date 1993), running on a built-in Commodore Amiga emulator. Still play it sometimes.

Does that count?

Does that actually do what it says on the tin?

Havent listed myself as depressed in years. Closest I have come has been this last spring because of a move upstate to university and an overwhelming amount of things needing to be done, but no not from seasonal affective disorder. And yes for that matter I'm not pulling all nighters on the PC anymore.

Hmm started backing my files up to my external drive for my desktops first proper format in 2 years - I suppose Snes9x counts. classic emulator.

Jesus speaking of which, I reformatted this afternoon. I am already sleep deprived but I decided to get this process started before I went to bed early

Unsure why I didn't feel tired, I just realized I never installed f.lux

I should have naturally passed out hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I use vlc player ,and drivermax,
    drivermax enables me to back up all pc drivers ,
    Useful in case i need to do a windows reinstall.

I used to use winamp for mp3 playback .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Like Overheal, I'm up to date on mostly everything. Windows 7 (couldn't be bothered updating to 8.1), Office 2013 etc.

Probably the oldest thing I sometimes use is the Sims 1 & 2. Don't have Sims 3. I really need to get into gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool Edit 2000 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Cool Edit 2000 :cool:

Peter Quistgard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

-=al=- wrote: »
    Peter Quistgard?

Only on weekends. :cool:

Advertisement