Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Essays

Options
  • 24-05-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sup doods. I'm currently in 5th Year and I am sitting my exams next week. I've always loved history and I've always done well. However our first time really writing essays was in the Christmas Exam and I got a C in that. All the class essays we've done since then I have averaged a C. My teacher always tells me that my points are good but my language is weak. He's constantly telling me to evaluate what happened and respond to it, which I am doing, but he never seems happy with it. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me tips on how to improve my language and write a History essay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GonnaFreak1994

Sup doods. I'm currently in 5th Year and I am sitting my exams next week. I've always loved history and I've always done well. However our first time really writing essays was in the Christmas Exam and I got a C in that. All the class essays we've done since then I have averaged a C. My teacher always tells me that my points are good but my language is weak. He's constantly telling me to evaluate what happened and respond to it, which I am doing, but he never seems happy with it. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me tips on how to improve my language and write a History essay.

After my leaving I can give you some of my essays (A Average), what topics do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

5th year is mostly about getting the facts right. What I found helped my essays this year are topic sentences and short paragraphs. You have to really inspect the question and brainstorm at the start. I used to learn my history essays off but I've started learning by paragraphs so that I can switch then around if needed. I think 40 marks go for answering the question. So if you are asked about the successes of Mussolini , only write about his successes and keep insisting he was successful. In each paragraph include a sentence to say why you're paragraph is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thegreatdigger

oncex wrote: »
    5th year is mostly about getting the facts right. What I found helped my essays this year are topic sentences and short paragraphs. You have to really inspect the question and brainstorm at the start. I used to learn my history essays off but I've started learning by paragraphs so that I can switch then around if needed. I think 40 marks go for answering the question. So if you are asked about the successes of Mussolini , only write about his successes and keep insisting he was successful. In each paragraph include a sentence to say why you're paragraph is relevant.

I don't find I have a problem with knowing the facts. It's generally my evaluations and such that let me down, according to my teacher. I'll keep your advice in mind about sticking to the question asked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GonnaFreak1994

So far we've covered the first topic in the Modern Europe and Modern Ireland books, "Dictatorship and Democracy in Europe" and "Movements For Political And Social Reform" respectively. He's letting us decide what other topics we'll do next year but any essays you have on those topics would be appreciated.

No bother, I have both of those topics so if you want to PM me your email address I'll send them after my leaving (should be 3 weeks). It will be good for you to compare the essays and if you want, copy them (don't need them anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thegreatdigger

After my leaving I can give you some of my essays (A Average), what topics do you do?

We've studied "Dictatorship and Democracy in Europe" in the Europe Course and "Movements For Political And Social Reform" in the Irish course. We'll be deciding what our other two topics are next year. Thanks for your offer. If you're willing to send them to me I'd be delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't find I have a problem with knowing the facts. It's generally my evaluations and such that let me down, according to my teacher. I'll keep your advice in mind about sticking to the question asked though.
    Then you probably need to spend some time *thinking* about what you know / what you're reading, and asking yourself "why?", and trying to map the connections.

History is about connections, patterns, cause and effect, and if you get better at analysing these and articulating them, your essays will improve immensely.

For example, here's a little brain-teaser. The Act of Union was passed 214 years ago, yet it still impacts significantly on Irish and even British politics.

How / why?

Any thoughts? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I've always felt that the more you write in history, the better your mark. Just keep writing relevant material. Make it impossible for the corrector not to give you marks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The trick in History is to answer the question asked. You might be surprised how many people don't.

Advertisement