Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options
  • 29-04-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I know it's early but I have to emmigrate at the end of may and I'm wishfull thinking!! Any sign of Mackeral let me know,. Cheers in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

derekohara wrote: »
    I know it's early but I have to emmigrate at the end of may and I'm wishfull thinking!! Any sign of Mackeral let me know,. Cheers in advance

Waaay too early for shore fishing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

chopper6 wrote: »
    Waaay too early for shore fishing anyway.

I think there was some caught from castle point in Clare. Also seen some caught on kayaks off Cork a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Any mackeral about yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Plenty from shore in clare last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Was always told mackerel this time of year aren't nearly as nice as later on in year.
    Whys that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Was always told mackerel this time of year aren't nearly as nice as later on in year.
    Whys that?

Early mackerall are far smaller...in september they've been feeding and have gotten much larger and chunkier.

I love spinning for macks around the end of sept on a light rod...you dont catch many but when you do the fight is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod Recent posts split from a zombie thread and put here. We'll try and keep everything for this coming summer in here

Happy Mackerel hunting everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Going to buy a big freezer for the new mack season! And a smoker!

Happy mackerel bashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Is there any been caught in Galway bay area

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Is there any been caught in Galway bay area

There was a handful caught in Ballyreen in North Clare last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Whys that?

Early in the year they don't have much oil in the flesh, by August they have been feeding hard on sprat and are plump and oily, taste fantastic then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ddashk

had good luck two weeks ago off castle point. good size too. maybe last years. been in dublin since and trying coliemore and dalkey etc but no luck yet.

A friend just put a photo on facebook of a bucket of mackerel taken on this evenings tide in Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

SeaFields wrote: »
    A friend just put a photo on facebook of a bucket of mackerel taken on this evenings tide in Kerry.

Do you know where that was? Not looking for anyone's spot, just the general area

Do you know where that was? Not looking for anyone's spot, just the general area

It was at a popular rock fishing spot outside cahersiveen. Wont say any more than that - dont want the whole country down there at the weekend when i hope to get out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paulm5327

hows a going normally the end of june is when the mackerel are around ur best bet is monkstown wall at high tide and look into the water for sprat (small fish) mackerel hunt for them and look for them breaking and for the pollock i use the jelly worm with led heads very very good and only cost 25c a worm in tw murrays in town you can also fish for congor with strips of mackerel on ur feders and leave 2 sit in the water and if u catch 1 have fun getin him in its a good crack all the same enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

paulm5327 wrote: »
    hows a going normally the end of june is when the mackerel are around ur best bet is monkstown wall at high tide and look into the water for sprat (small fish) mackerel hunt for them and look for them breaking and for the pollock i use the jelly worm with led heads very very good and only cost 25c a worm in tw murrays in town you can also fish for congor with strips of mackerel on ur feders and leave 2 sit in the water and if u catch 1 have fun getin him in its a good crack all the same enjoy :)

I got a bit dizzy trying to read that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know if there been caught around Waterford yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

I was out in dunmore this morning. No sign of them out there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

I went out on a boat from malahide yesterday not a sign of any mackerel there again there was very little caught yesterday about 4 pollock a few doggies and tiny whitening between 10 of us

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Friendly_User

Nothing in Galway bay at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

i was out in tramore last saturday ,the boat next to me caught 2 dozen or so just off the Guillameen ,must be in small shoals cos i caught nothing :rolleyes:

ian...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Plenty mackerel in kinsale yesterday had 10 In about 20 mins on a spinning rod with a Toby

The man alongside me had easily 30+ When I left and didn't look to be stopping anytime soon

Nothing in Fanore today :(

Nothing in Fanore today :(

Very slack, went down this evening for 2 hours after pollock and had one follow the lure right to my feet but no take. Was out on the kayak a week ago across from the pub in Fanore and there wasn't much sign of life in the water either apart from a few small pollock I stumbled across and a pod of dolophins that frightened the sh1t out of me. No sign of sprat or sandeels in the water which is a bad sign.

Very slack, went down this evening for 2 hours after pollock and had one follow the lure right to my feet but no take. Was out on the kayak a week ago across from the pub in Fanore and there wasn't much sign of life in the water either apart from a few small pollock I stumbled across and a pod of dolophins that frightened the sh1t out of me. No sign of sprat or sandeels in the water which is a bad sign.

We had some good success targeting pollock and coal fish, but nothing on the feathers or hokkai. That's my first time fishing there and it's an incredible spot.

We had some good success targeting pollock and coal fish, but nothing on the feathers or hokkai. That's my first time fishing there and it's an incredible spot.

Good to here, there was mackerel about a few weeks ago but they can be sporadic enough this time of year. Seen a wrasse swimming around aswell but was after a pollock for the dinner so I didn't try for them. Was watching the pollock swimming around on the bottom from the kayak last week. Fairly cool experience watching them. Some of the best places around here have hardly ever seen a rod and line because most people just pull up at black head and Ballyreen, some serious fishing to be had if you stray off the beaten track a bit. There's one place that takes 20 minutes to walk to and close to a half an hour to walk back up that has 40ft of water at your feet sheer drop off. Best place I have ever seen for mackerel, wrasse and conger but I wouldn't like to be carrying them up out of it. Normally just catch a few for bait there and fish the bottom for a few hours. A handful of limpets would keep you busy with the wrasse while your waiting for a big fish! Have great crack fishing for macs there on a 5-20g rod aswell!

Some of the best places around here have hardly ever seen a rod and line because most people just pull up at black head and Ballyreen, some serious fishing to be had if you stray off the beaten track a bit. There's one place that takes 20 minutes to walk to and close to a half an hour to walk back up that has 40ft of water at your feet sheer drop off. Best place I have ever seen for mackerel, wrasse and conger but I wouldn't like to be carrying them up out of it.

That sounds a bit like the place we were fishing. The drop net got plenty of work even for the coal fish and the small conger we pulled out. I'm looking forward to going back next week and exploring further along the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Anything around the ballycotton and cork harbour area???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

mystickey wrote: »
    Anything around the ballycotton and cork harbour area???

Hopefully the weather improves and I'll head down to Ballycotton.

Will report back...

Advertisement