Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi,

Many mackerel being caught off Howth pier at present?

Many thanks.

I was out there 2 days ago, nothing, will be back there at some point today will post again for an update, hopefully I will be busy and wont be able to post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Just back from Dun Loaghaire. I fished for an hour before high tide and two hours after. No mackerel at all although I did catch a nice Pollock of about 3lbs which was great fun on a light spinning rod. There was a guy using feathers a bit further down from me, I saw him catch 5 in a single cast but no sign of anything after that.

I fished low tide on tuesday too and there was nothing about but a couple of Pollock.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Caught 20+ last night on Salthill prom, some numbers being caught there the last 2 evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hi,

Many mackerel being caught off Howth pier at present?

Many thanks.

Don't know about the harbour, but there were a good few being caught off the rocks off Balscadden Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The fact that they are being caught in small numbers is a good sign that the shoals are about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

Lads am I mad heading to dun laoighre at 3/4am on Saturday morning, full tide is just after 4, a few friends are coming along too but this is the only time frame we'll be in Dublin for a full tide, we plan on sticking around till 7 or 8, it's usually reasonably bright by 5these days, suppose it'll be a bit of craic!

Anyone any experience of nightish fishing in dun laoighre?!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

ajncam wrote: »
    Lads am I mad heading to dun laoighre at 3/4am on Saturday morning, full tide is just after 4, a few friends are coming along too but this is the only time frame we'll be in Dublin for a full tide, we plan on sticking around till 7 or 8, it's usually reasonably bright by 5these days, suppose it'll be a bit of craic!

Anyone any experience of nightish fishing in dun laoighre?!

Thanks

Just do it, buy a few cheap headlight torches (led) enough that everyone has one and a couple of spares. Bring some mac and worm as a standby bait incase no macks about.
    Bring a few sea floats, saves everyone trying to cast in the same area if one or two try float fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Heard of a lad that had around 100 in Ballyreen this morning!

Must be the same fella I met tonight, he said he caught 100 but kept 20.

I'm just home myself from Parkmore where I caught 5. The biggest one is on my plate surrounded by chips right now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just back from howth pier. Was the only person there and not a single fish to be had. Won't be back to the pier again for a while. I'll try balscadden in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There was flooding in Howth last Sunday which put deposited a lot of silt and sand into the harbour which might deter mackerel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tomblurt

absolutely hawling them in from the shore at black head in north clare last night. had them on every cast. took about 5 minutes to get 10 and i was done. plenty of lads filling their buckets there too. also was swimming in blackrock in salthill on thursday evening and the mackerel were chasing sprat right into the shore. theyre in on the west coast thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3 varmintmaster

Still poor. Launched the 'Blue Qyster' out of Greystones 18th August 2014 and north round Bray Head, feathering and rag, clam and mussel baits...few mackerel and off over round Killiney Bay and Shankill next..devoid of life save for a few tiny pin whiting....... drifts through the sound at Dalkey and over round Bullock with minimal success. Rocks at Dillon Park covered with mackerel bashers!
    Few drops after this back across the bay yielded nothing, same again round Greystones and out off the Moulditch (Red) Buoy.
    Fished from noon until after 6pm with only a bucket of mackerel caught, one tiny pollack foul hooked, a dogfish and few tiny whiting you could count on yer hand.
    Water looked like you had washed spuds in it, maybe its sediment in the water after all the rain or poor water quality they've been going on about and warning against swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Any news on the Dunmore East / Hook area, what's been caught or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Clogherhead catch

Anymore macs??
    Been caught around clogherhead ?
    Only managed to catch 2 ( in 1 hr off pier) 3 weeks ago !

Out Salthill again this morning, absolutely full of mackerel. Hauled in about 40 in an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

The macs in Galway are tiny, only 4-6", got a few last Friday night at Salthill.

gary29428 wrote: »
    The macs in Galway are tiny, only 4-6", got a few last Friday night at Salthill.

Yeah, lots of small ones all right, a few good sized ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Been down the prom a few times with the kids but struggling to find a spot that has a few fish and is safe for the kids. Do you know if out right of the diving boards along the shingle beach is any good for macs..........ta

We usually fish behind Seapoint, not too sure what the fishing is like past Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hurler014

Ya, you can catch a few out past Blackrock alright along the beach and its quieter. Not as many macks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Clogherhead catch

4 good sized ones caught yesterday @ clogherhead pier an hour after high tied
    And a few pollock

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Anyone fishing Dunmore East / Hook area??.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Greenwells

Have heard that very few mackerel in Skerries so far. Has anyone had any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

We went out on sat morning in the end, 4 complete amateurs standing there in the dark, Calling us amateurs would be a serious complement by the way, we are an insult to fishing!

Fished feathers with 4 rods as it got bright and the tide began to recede, after an hour of intense concentration by all parties with no fruit from our labour we decided to have a sandwich break and regroup with full stomachs.

Low and behold, the most amateur of us all left his feathers dangling in the water below us as we discussed tactics, he had the good fortune of leaving it directly in the path of a visually impaired mackerel who was out for an early morning paddle, a moment of disbelief followed as he swam directly into the hook, and then half of dalkey was awoken!

That was all we caught but we far exceeded our highest expectations and will be back out again soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Hi guys, I'm in Fethard for a week and was thinking of taking the boys out to try and catch a few mackerel today. High tide is around 1 so I'm just wondering would there be any chance of catching some during the day? Any time we've caught any, it's always been in the evening. Sorry for the stupid question

Jimmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll certainly catch them during the day - if they are there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 donx4

ive been out 3 times in the past 2 weeks, came back empty handed each day. twice at dun laoghaire west pier and this morning off poolbeg light house

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

donx4 wrote: »
    ive been out 3 times in the past 2 weeks, came back empty handed each day. twice at dun laoghaire west pier and this morning off poolbeg light house

I'm heading out near Hook lighthouse. I've heard there's some being caught. It'll pass away a few hours and help the hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 donx4

Hook lighthouse is futher than im willing to travel unfortunetly, im gonna put in another few hours at poolbeg LH this evening after work n see if anything turns up (fingers crossed). if anything bite il be sure to let you all know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Waterford ( BallyMacaw) caught 5 today between 11am and 2 pm decent sizes
    3 other lads there caught nothing

Advertisement