Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

Hi guys, Finally my first mackerel this season, 3 hrs before the low tide yesterday in Passage west, got 15 decent size

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Abeedo wrote: »
    Hi guys, Finally my first mackerel this season, 3 hrs before the low tide yesterday in Passage west, got 15 decent size

Good stuff. Were you in Passage or down beyond the the ferry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

in passage west at the pier and at the wall, before the ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Was down in west cork, Ballylicky, Bantry Bay, the last few days,
    Mackerel like they used to be on Monday evening :eek:, could have had as many as I wanted, filled the freezer in about 20 minutes. We had a competition in the end to see if either of us could get the weight to hit bottom without catching a fish, neither of us managed it.
    We then tried to see who could catch the most without letting any line out (i.e. just the length of the feathers to work with) we could see them rush up to the surface to take the lure, tiny bait fish everywhere.
    We lost count how many we let go and headed in with our box of fish after the most exciting mackerel fishing in decades.
    After a brutal start they must be all coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I was in cobh today and walked up the dock the place was absouletly stuffed with anglers

I seen countless mackerel being caught some had 6 at a time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

what about the east coast ? any news ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 donx4

from what ive heard is quiet on the east coast, ive been out 4 times the past 2 weeks n got nothing , thats just in the dublin area though

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ghost hunt

Lookin to do some pier fishing on the feathers the weekend where is there fish been caught in the south east area

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Re South East...Very little from the shore as far as I know, lads out of Kilmore are getting a lot, brother in law reckoned over 100 in 30 mins this evening. Probably more like 50 in an hour knowing him but things definitely seem on the up. I will be hitting some of the beaches in that general vicinity this weekend if I can't get him to bring the boat out again......

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭moan 77

Was in Dunmore East today from 12 to 5 pm, full tide was at 2.30pm, I only caught 5 good sized ones and two small enough ones. Saw about 30 macks in total been caught while I was there. Fishing not good at all very slack for this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

Was out on a boat today and we drifted between shankhill and greay stones, We got 11 the whole day between 3 of us.

Its a barren waste land out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

good few macks out from Connemara. looks like its arseways late this year. id say they will land onto east coast in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Budawanny wrote: »
    good few macks out from Connemara. looks like its arseways late this year. id say they will land onto east coast in september.

Was out in Spiddal on Tuesday and no one was catching anything. There was about 10 people fishing around high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Pizarro wrote: »
    Was out in Spiddal on Tuesday and no one was catching anything. There was about 10 people fishing around high tide.

I was near Renvyle. Could have caught what i wanted but left with 10 for a few feeds for me and the missus.

have heard of more and more popping up along the coast. heres hoping it keeps improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Spent an hour or so casting off the rocks by the lighthouse on the East Pier in Howth and didn't see anything. No others fishing from the rocks and no sign of any sprat or many sea birds. A fisherman on a trawler said there's no mackerel about at the moment. All in all a shed load of arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Stickied for the rest of the mackerel season. All mackerel related stuff in here. Any threads outside of this will be deleted and the OP infracted

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fixer Upper

Mainly small mackerel (4-6 Inches) being caught at Galway Docks... Anything going near Sligo lately? Or tips on where is good, easy access within driving distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Shoals of mackerel in Barna tonight. Caught 60 could have caught 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

sean555 wrote: »
    Shoals of mackerel in Barna tonight. Caught 60 could have caught 600.

Any near the east coast

Andy they are hopping off them all along the east now... Dun L and dalky.

• Advertisement

Andy they are hopping off them all along the east now... Dun L and dalky.

I wos off dalkey rocks last week 5 days in a row lots a pollock few eels small cod and last day i had one mackerel it wos huge fight I got pulled the arms ove me.. U heading out anytime soon

Il be out in Dun L, east pier tomorrow early on the float, they come into the harbor and are great craic on the light gear.. and fish for the wrasse in close.

Il be out in Dun L, east pier tomorrow early on the float, they come into the harbor and are great craic on the light gear.. and fish for the wrasse in close.

Sounds like a great day out great on the spinner aren't they

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

Any near the east coast

Sorry have no idea just based in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing much at all along the northeast coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Plenty been caught in Waterford ,
    the Guillamene Tramore
    Ballymacaw Dunmore east
    Catching by the 5 and 6s on each cast
    Got 30 in half hour yesterday just before full tide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Lots being caught in Cobh this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Was fishing passage west last night. There would be nothing for a while, then all of a sudden id hook six.Not another bite for a another 15 mins and then id suddenly get another 6 and thats the way it kept going. This time last year you would have struggled to get your feathers in the water without hooking a few down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

At this rate we'll be having mackerel for our Christmas morning brekkie!!

• Advertisement

They are all over the east coast the last few day, you just need to cast a bit harder because they arnt coming so close to the shore.

Advertisement