Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

None clogherhead yesterday or greenore Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Il be out in Dun L, east pier tomorrow early on the float, they come into the harbor and are great craic on the light gear.. and fish for the wrasse in close.
    How did the float fishing go? I had 5 today at the back of the east pier on feathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭KAI.Fundraiser

Not on dude, and I was sorry I didnt bring the big rod. A lad beside us got a few but we wernt able to get the same distance on the small rods. I know lads that had 100 the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Yeah, there was plenty about yesterday evening alright! I'll take another couple of trips out during the week and I'll report back.

I give up on the mac this year, Iv enough from the boat trip so I cant be arsed lol... Il stick to the bass, hounds and wrasse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

I give up on the mac this year, Iv enough from the boat trip so I cant be arsed lol... Il stick to the bass, hounds and wrasse.

B interested next time ure going for bass pal to give us a shout haven't had or seen 1 yet the joy u will see in my face b worth it lol

B interested next time ure going for bass pal to give us a shout haven't had or seen 1 yet the joy u will see in my face b worth it lol

Iv been on a mission looking for them around dublin last 3 years... Only got 2 in them 3 years lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

Iv been on a mission looking for them around dublin last 3 years... Only got 2 in them 3 years lol.

U must be joking.. Herd very hard to get alrite but not that hard ha herd of a spot I'll mail it to u that's pretty good.. I had a friend last year fished a water close to me and u for pike and got 1 jack in a whole ure that's disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I managed to break my 'Mackerel Duck' this year while on holidays in Enniscrone Sligo, where I hauled in a rake of them (caught one), while 7-8 other anglers blanked alongside me! I suppose I should count myself lucky, as should the Mackerel in question as he was released back to fight another day due to my 9 year old daughter announcing that he looked 'sad' to be caught :-).

Anyone having success at Dalkey??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

fished off rocks near kinsale saturday evening and got 8 decent macks and a few pollack around the 2lb mark and a load of smaller ones.
    I went down to monkstown this evening for a cast but it started raining so didnt stay about too long,got two small macks and packed up,lots of small macks breaking water but also saw a few lads who had managed some better macks,no huge hauls though.

• Advertisement

anyone try roches point,cobh or youghal in the last few days?

squidly wrote: »
    anyone try roches point,cobh or youghal in the last few days?

I heard they are hammering them in Cobh but its a swing fest with the pier being jammers and people just swinging all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Loads in Cobh, but on the small side.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

fished off rocks near kinsale saturday evening and got 8 decent macks and a few pollack around the 2lb mark and a load of smaller ones.
    I went down to monkstown this evening for a cast but it started raining so didnt stay about too long,got two small macks and packed up,lots of small macks breaking water but also saw a few lads who had managed some better macks,no huge hauls though.

What rocks did you fish from if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for somewhere near enough to kinsale for Pollock.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

pm sent

Cheers again man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Was fishing passage west last night. There would be nothing for a while, then all of a sudden id hook six.Not another bite for a another 15 mins and then id suddenly get another 6 and thats the way it kept going. This time last year you would have struggled to get your feathers in the water without hooking a few down there.

What were you using. I'm in Duncannon next week. Any good spots around there for macks.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Kayak fished Lough Foyle on Saturday and only managed two macks - both on the one drop. Lots of people on the pier in Moville but didn't see them catch anything though there are reports of fish being caught.

Fished Tullagh Bay (Donegal) on Sunday, again from the kayak and caught plenty of macks. None of any great size and they were pretty sporadic - once you drifted off the shoal the fishing died. Caught plenty of really good pollock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

What were you using. I'm in Duncannon next week. Any good spots around there for macks.

i was using silver coloured feathers.i wouldnt know about duncannon, its a good bit from me.Im sure someone else will help you with that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

pm sent

any chance i could get that pm about the pollock spot please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Anyone catching in howth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

i was using silver coloured feathers.i wouldnt know about duncannon, its a good bit from me.Im sure someone else will help you with that though.

Hook Head not to far from Duncannon
    Good spot should get plenty Macs there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Andy they are hopping off them all along the east now... Dun L and dalky.

Sorry - are they being caught from the shore in Dublin yet?

a148pro wrote: »
    Sorry - are they being caught from the shore in Dublin yet?

Yes but you have to cast that bit further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Got my first mackrel of the year in kells this week. Caught two good sized ones between three of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jolter

Anything happening in Cork at the moment lads..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Any mackerel being caught in salthill at high tide in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Any mackerel in howth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

DE DEISE wrote: »
    Hook Head not to far from Duncannon
    Good spot should get plenty Macs there

Weres the best spot on hook. Can I fish off the rocks or is slade better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I Went mackerel fishing yesterday in wicklow and caught nothing . The water clarity was very bad and no sign of bait fish. This time last year you would fill a bag in 20 mins : ) anyone else have any luck in the wicklow area?

Advertisement