Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

I Went mackerel fishing yesterday in wicklow and caught nothing . The water clarity was very bad and no sign of bait fish. This time last year you would fill a bag in 20 mins : ) anyone else have any luck in the wicklow area?

Bought my son a rod a week ago. Just wondering wheres a good spot. Ideally a harbour. Living near arklow but willing to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Bought my son a rod a week ago. Just wondering wheres a good spot. Ideally a harbour. Living near arklow but willing to drive.

The quarry in arklow called road stone . The far rocks beside the Cove beach There is a platform half way up the rocks where ships used to dock. It's a great spot for mackerel I heard today there was some caught there last week but nothing compared to last year. That platform had 40 t 50 people on it everyone catching bags of mackerel . You could try the north pier either the end of it has bars around it so would be safe for the young lad might be a little more dangerous down the quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

two of us fished a rock mark near kinsale this evening and got 5 good macks each and a few pollock,saw what looked like small shoals breaking a few times,no big numbers..

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Mackerel were going nuts on sprat at the docks in Galway last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Looked like rain :)
    I seen similar before in cork few years ago. Sprats were going nuts and wave after wave of mackerel came at them and swimming around the pier in shoals of thousands. Then big pollock came aswell. Needless to say I filled a bucket fairly quickly.
    Plenty of mackerel ended up beached aswell as they chased the sprats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Looked like rain :)
    I seen similar before in cork few years ago. Sprats were going nuts and wave after wave of mackerel came at them and swimming around the pier in shoals of thousands. Then big pollock came aswell. Needless to say I filled a bucket fairly quickly.
    Plenty of mackerel ended up beached aswell as they chased the sprats.

I've childhood memories of summers spent in crosshaven. The evening high tides would bring everyone from their caravan to the beach with fishing rods in hand and suddenly in a proper Cork accent you'd hear "they're breaking" and the sea would be a torrent of sprat and mackerel jumping and diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

We were beside a slipway and they were hoarding the sprat up against the slip and hammering them....quite a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

SeaFields wrote: »
    I've childhood memories of summers spent in crosshaven. The evening high tides would bring everyone from their caravan to the beach with fishing rods in hand and suddenly in a proper Cork accent you'd hear "they're breaking" and the sea would be a torrent of sprat and mackerel jumping and diving.

You could catch as many as you wanted,remember catching them in plastic bags on the beach and then sweets and an ice cream from Collins shop on the cliff,I was down a couple of weeks ago caught 30 odd in the women's pool it was like days of old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 facelesss

Any macks showing in clogherhead,don't want to have a wasted journey from north Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clogherhead is as dead as a dodo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

You could catch as many as you wanted,remember catching them in plastic bags on the beach and then sweets and an ice cream from Collins shop on the cliff,I was down a couple of weeks ago caught 30 odd in the women's pool it was like days of old!!

There's a blast from the past! Remember that shop. Used to go fishing off bulls rock and over in camden. we were down there every summer in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

Meursault wrote: »
    There's a blast from the past! Remember that shop. Used to go fishing off bulls rock and over in camden. we were down there every summer in the 80s
    The pier in Camden was a great spot for mackerel up and down the walls then explore Camden fort,we were there every summer too in the 80s great summers with flaggins in the bush tavern!

saw macks breaking in cobh this morning,fished kinsale tonight,low tide,2 pollock no macks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 facelesss

Any suggestions for mack spots from the shore i'm living in North Meath so an hour or so drive would be great. Would like to bring the son out before i leave for work.Won't be back till November.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Was off shore from wicklow today, tried several spots for mackerel and not one to be had! Shocking and puzzling! Why are they not to be seen on the east coast at all? Clew bay in mayo is thick with them and other good reports from along the west coast but nothing on the east!
    any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

Quite a few people out from 6-9 this evening in Dalkey. Not a single mackerel.

Was in the roadstone quarry in arklow lastnight on the high tide.came back empty handed. Spotted a seal though. Was gonna take a drive down to cahore pier and try my luck there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tried hook head and Kilmore Quay this week and the only fish I saw were a few mullet.

Just back from cahore, co wexford. Not a sausage. Couple of fellas beside me. They caught ziltch too. Lovely relaxing spot though and a pub close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

was in black head co clare today...not a thing but 2 small boats out in galway bay were reeling in mackeral bigtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 return of the mack

Few macks out in Dalkey today - at long last. Was fishin off the rocks out there this mornin from around 1100 til 1300. Got 6 macks & a sand eel. Possibly could've caught more but was only using a 3 feather rig. There was a good few lads out in boats & it looked like they were hittin a few too. Beautiful day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

as much as you want in cobh the last few days i have seen people take away stupid amounts

got a few small ones on the fly myself down in a quiet part away from the pier so was well happy :cool:

fished a rock mark near kinsale tonight between 7:30 - 9,loads of macks around and plenty of pollack,pretty much a fish a cast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Talking to a skipper in Waterford...seems that the shoals were decimated by factory ships in april.

We wont see macks in any great numbers for years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Hi - am going to bundoran for a weekend soon and was wondering if there was anywhere there or close by where you could fish for mackerel from the shore/rocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

Hey is there any mackerel in howth ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Loads around Fenit yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5 decosto

any macks off shore in bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Any mackerel being caught in Galway Bay/Black Head ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

lovebirds wrote: »
    Hey is there any mackerel in howth ?

Was out there today and there were lads fishing with feathers but said nothing was biting

Advertisement