Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭lovebirds

a148pro wrote: »
    Was out there today and there were lads fishing with feathers but said nothing was biting

What going on this year it's madness ha wonder will we get any this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭major deegan

Hi - am going to bundoran for a weekend soon and was wondering if there was anywhere there or close by where you could fish for mackerel from the shore/rocks?

Yeah, mackerel fishing off roguey rocks there,drive up tullan strand road...car park at end of road... Follow cliff walk around about 300 mtrs to a flat stone clearing,probably see other fishermen along that area... If the mackerel are in it's the best spot around....

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

decosto wrote: »
    any macks off shore in bray

tiny things small for decent pike bait around dalkey islands. We started close to kiliney beach and got only codlings and small wrasse.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Was out on the boat today in cork harbour winds were wrong so we stayed inside
    The mackerel were everywhere I had them on fly , spinners , feathers and even just silver hooks ha ha

Mostly small at the top if ya got down 10ft or so bigger ones I must of had a couple hundred today and I don't even eat them ha kept about 40 for family

i have a video on my iphone i just literally dip the rod into water and hook into mackeral but can upload it

never even casted or opened bailarm in reel just down and up ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

popsy09 wrote: »
    Was out on the boat today in cork harbour winds were wrong so we stayed inside
    The mackerel were everywhere I had them on fly , spinners , feathers and even just silver hooks ha ha

Mostly small at the top if ya got down 10ft or so bigger ones I must of had a couple hundred today and I don't even eat them ha kept about 40 for family

Why did you catch a couple of hundred if you only kept 40 ? what a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

robinwing wrote: »

How is it a waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

How is it a waste?

Handling mackerel damages their scales. They tend to die from infection after being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Do mackerel have scales ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do mackerel have scales ?

They are covered in them. As you'll discover as soon as you handle one.

• Advertisement

robinwing wrote: »

most are small an not worth keeping

why would i bother taking home a couple hundred mackerel when i have no room for them and i dont eat them i would have to go out of my way to get people to take them or even dump them

if they get infection then so be it at least he has a chance of survival and will get eaten by some fish rather than be dumped in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mattser

popsy09 wrote: »
    most are small an not worth keeping

why would i bother taking home a couple hundred mackerel when i have no room for them and i dont eat them i would have to go out of my way to get people to take them or even dump them

if they get infection then so be it at least he has a chance of survival and will get eaten by some fish rather than be dumped in the bin

That, Sir, is a proper good reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just to add to the above few posts, If everyone that finds themselves catching plenty at the start of a session, or during a session squeezes in the hook barbs, then you might loose one or two, no loss, but you can shake the unwanted off the hooks without handling them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just back in from Dalkey. Launched the kayak at 7.30 this morning from Bullock harbour and not one mack until around 11am and then it was the smallest mack I've ever seen - no more than 5" long. Caught plenty of nice cod and then around 2.30pm, hit a few more macks - sporadic and no big numbers. Brought home five medium size ones. May have been more coming in with the tide but I couldn't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 decosto

I have tried dalkey a few times on the kayak and blanked every time how far off shore Are you going I have also tried dun laoghaire twice and only got one mack I am New to kayaking and would appreciate the feed back thanks

Anything around howth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

why the feck is there so many tiny macks this year ?

was down off hook head today and most were tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Fished blackhead 4 times in the last two weeks. 2 mackerel between 3 people by 5 hour each time. Caught nothing at all yesterday.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

decosto wrote: »
    I have tried dalkey a few times on the kayak and blanked every time how far off shore

Only going out as far as the buoys and not much further along the shore than the 40ft.

Only going out as far as the buoys and not much further along the shore than the 40ft.

Thanks for the advice will try again soon

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice will try again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 5turbo

burren reef at lambay.... mackeral in large numbers and all decent sized. plenty of lobster pots to dodge though!!

Took your advice and fished bullock today a few small macks and plenty of small Pollack 2 wrasse and 1 big Pollack thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

anything from shore around greystones towards wicklow anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Loads of Macks in howth harbor and balscadden the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Still loads in Kerry, pulled them out three at a time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

lovebirds wrote: »
    Loads of Macks in howth harbor and balscadden the last few days

big numbers? Havnt been out in a few weeks, got a pain in my arse with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Boyne fisher

Is there mackerel in balscadden ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I might head out tomorrow for an hour or so, during the day for high tide time see whats about, if there's anything there i'll post as it comes in.. or not as the case may be.

Advertisement