Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Got 8 mackerel off the rocks in Balscadden yesterday afternoon in the space of an hour. Not loads but enough for me.

Curiously the guys around me were catching very little if any except the ones out on the precarious rocks where I don't really want to go for the sake of a few cheap fish. They were delicious though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

veetwin wrote: »
    Got 8 mackerel off the rocks in Balscadden yesterday afternoon in the space of an hour. Not loads but enough for me.

Curiously the guys around me were catching very little if any except the ones out on the precarious rocks where I don't really want to go for the sake of a few cheap fish. They were delicious though!

How far out were you casting?
    Were you up the top or down the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

How far out were you casting?
    Were you up the top or down the bottom?

I was casting as far out as everyone else, probably around 80 or so metres and allowing the feathers to drop to the bottom

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Fished Howth/Ireland's Eye today and managed only a few small macks. They were very sporadic - for example, one of our three kayaks would hit a shoal and the other two, no more than a few yards away, would get nothing. Then when you hit, reeled in, unhooked, dropped back down again - nothing! The small shoals seemed to have moved on very quickly.

I did however manage a pretty decent Cod...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Out in my boat, drifting between Knightstown Marina on Valentia Island, and just off Renard Point, caught a box of mackerel for the freezer, in an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

Literally thousands of mack carried off the west pier in dun laoighre over the past 4/5 days.

If only I'd seen that post before today. Went to howth today, just stayed in the harbour. Fished along side 3 lads, started off with nothing they got 3 between them, only small.
    Another lad arrived with silver feathers and pulled in 13 before it was my time to head.
    When he was starting he offered me the same feathers he was using, and in the time he had all of his 13 landed I caught 2 and at that the seal robbed one of them both of us using the same gear.
    I'd say 3 of them were big enough for the plate.

We were casting almost into the same place every cast.

(Edit) Shocking trying to read that back, made no sense even to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out by boat out of Malahide yesterday caught a load of mackerel good's days fishing

ajncam wrote: »
    Literally thousands of mack carried off the west pier in dun laoighre over the past 4/5 days.

Any macks still about there?

I've never fished it out there, where abouts is it fished from or do lads literally cast from anywhere along the pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

I've never fished it out there, where abouts is it fished from or do lads literally cast from anywhere along the pier?
    Going out for an hour or two after work, I'll let you know how it goes. I usually fish over the back of the east pier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

I was there two evenings last week and didn't see a single one being caught by anyone, and there was a good 30/40 people along the back of the west pier.

I'd usually head for the second bend on the west pier and go off the back, don't let the feathers sink too much, I've easily lost 100 quids worth of gear there during the course of my career!

All the best and let us know if you've any success!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

Caught 3 mackerel and a Pollock this evening all on feathers. I was on the back of the east pier for about 90 mins.

I definitely agree with ajncam, from about 25 yards out the bottom seems clear enough but as you get closer speed up your retrieve and keep your rod high to avoid the snags.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Just back from Salthill, insane amount of mackerel being caught, every cast a good sized mackie, haven't seen it as good in several years. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mattser

Pain in my arms in August/Sept and they arrive in October. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Andypdublin24

Anything happening now with mackerel mite try get few

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We're into November so I Guess that's the end of the mackerel for another year.

So until next Spring gentlemen, thread - Unstickified! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

And I still haven't caught one!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

how about a thread for the winter fishing?for reports of where codling and whiting are showing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We did that before and it went well. Feel free to start a thread. If it gets busy we'll sticky it too for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm at the end of the e quays in Galway watching a guy land 4 at a time.
    He has 12 in the last 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

SeaFields wrote: »
    We're into November so I Guess that's the end of the mackerel for another year.

So until next Spring gentlemen, thread - Unstickified! :)
    I'm at the end of the e quays in Galway watching a guy land 4 at a time.
    He has 12 in the last 5 minutes

Ye have little faith :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

dmc17 wrote: »
    Ye have little faith :pac:

Climate Change ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

He filled a black bucket in the 10 minutes I watched him.

I just wished I brought my rods from Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭mattser

He filled a black bucket in the 10 minutes I watched him.

I just wished I brought my rods from Dublin :(

Crazy stuff :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I've not really had the chance to get out the last 2 months or so. Just wondering if anybody know if their still biting around the Dublin area? From the shore? Ta very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gumbo1 wrote: »
    I've not really had the chance to get out the last 2 months or so. Just wondering if anybody know if their still biting around the Dublin area? From the shore? Ta very much

East coast - gone. Forget it. Time to switch species for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kingfish

I only caught one mackerel this year on salt hill 😎

Advertisement