Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

anything around fenit,kerryhead or brandon?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Hopefully the weather improves and I'll head down to Ballycotton.

Will report back...

Well,how did you get on? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Well,how did you get on? :)

Will be heading this weekend. Weather for the weekend is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

flounder wrote: »
    I was out in dunmore this morning. No sign of them out there anyway

I was out in portally this afternoon and none out there either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

patdahat wrote: »
    anything around fenit,kerryhead or brandon?
    Nothing in Fenit tonight. Nothing in Foynes yesterday either :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BikingIsBest

Caught 2 decent sized mackerel tonight just after high tide off the sea wall between passage west and monkstown I was there for around 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Caught 5 mackreal today at fenit

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Not long home. Caught 4 in ross Co Clare this evening. Lost a few on the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Caught 5 mackreal today at fenit

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi lads,
    Anything stirring in a Dun Laoghaire or Dalkey? I was out that direction the other day and a few lads were fishing for Mack's but I didn't see any being caught.

• Advertisement

Just curious what if any are the favourite rigs/traces used that gets the best results?

Just curious what if any are the favourite rigs/traces used that gets the best results?

I always had more success on hokkai than on feathers

Hi Paddysniper,
    It can sometimes depend on the day with some colors working better than others for no apparant reason! I have found red and also pink feathers to be the best, sometimes pink were the only ones catching on slower days! I ran out of feathers one day due to snags and I looped 3 little silver Mepps spinners on to the line and they were the business catching a load of Mackerel and a few small Pollack too.......really sometimes depends on the day methinks :-) Bring a few different colors and change after half an hour if you feel your first choice is not working too well, anyone else got any little gems to share with us??

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi Paddysniper,
    It can sometimes depend on the day with some colors working better than others for no apparant reason! I have found red and also pink feathers to be the best, sometimes pink were the only ones catching on slower days! I ran out of feathers one day due to snags and I looped 3 little silver Mepps spinners on to the line and they were the business catching a load of Mackerel and a few small Pollack too.......really sometimes depends on the day methinks :-) Bring a few different colors and change after half an hour if you feel your first choice is not working too well, anyone else got any little gems to share with us??

I don't get to go fishing much lately but anytime I do go it's just the handy few. I was putting it down to scarcity.

Been using mustad gear which I find is quality but maybe I need to vary a bit.

Is there glow in the dark gear for fishing before dark or would it make a difference?

Hi,
    I think that the Mackerel season is only really getting started now, so hopefully it will get a bit better in July, August and September. Not sure about the glow in the dark gear as I have never tried it as Mackerel fishing tends to be best in the late afternnon and evening, sometime silver lures / feathers can be good in twilight / moonlight but packing up in the dark can be a pain (5 or 6 sharp hooks in the the dark, bare hands etc)!!

Hi,
    I think that the Mackerel season is only really getting started now, so hopefully it will get a bit better in July, August and September. Not sure about the glow in the dark gear as I have never tried it as Mackerel fishing tends to be best in the late afternnon and evening, sometime silver lures / feathers can be good in twilight / moonlight but packing up in the dark can be a pain (5 or 6 sharp hooks in the the dark, bare hands etc)!!

It'll improve I'm sure.
    Shopping trip is in order and try out a few rigs
    I wouldn't be staying until it's that dark lol, I've had a hook bedded in my finger and I don't want any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

It'll improve I'm sure.
    Shopping trip is in order and try out a few rigs
    I wouldn't be staying until it's that dark lol, I've had a hook bedded in my finger and I don't want any more!

Headlamps can be gotten for just a few €€ and are plenty bright enough to stay safe in the dark.
    People who only fish in daylight dont know what their missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mullyman17

Hey guys, anyone catching off the dun laoghaire area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

mullyman17 wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone catching off the dun laoghaire area?

last Sunday in west pier for about one hour, 5 lads was fishing but mostly flounder, didn't see any mackerel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What bout bullock harbour?
    Anyone headed out there yet? I may head out this weekend should the weather hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Was out in Bullock and down on the rocks near Vico, not a tingle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

safetyboy wrote: »
    Was out in Bullock and down on the rocks near Vico, not a tingle.

I was out on the boat around dalkey islands. Some small pollocks and odd cod. Only one small mack. Used 2/0 feathers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spent a few hours out around Clogherhead on the kayak yesterday. Lot of bait fish around but no macks. Plenty of small flatties on lugworm but nothing worth keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

Hi,
    Any mackeral spotted in youghal or cobh??

Nothing in Valentia this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Any mackeral spotted in youghal or cobh??

Yes, had a few in Cobh at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Had one the other evening. Caught a load of small pollack and launce on the feathers but was disappointed with the lack of macks. Could see plenty of sandeels and sprat in the water too so surprised they didn't really show.

Was out in Dalkey the other day,a few lads were fishing with feathers etc but they did not seem to be catching. Conditions were good,sunny and just after high tide but not a sausage! Will keep an eye out.........it's getting closer!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

will the fine weather we are experiencing presently bring mackerel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Was out in Dalkey the other day,a few lads were fishing with feathers etc but they did not seem to be catching. Conditions were good,sunny and just after high tide but not a sausage! Will keep an eye out.........it's getting closer!

I was out both days on inflatable. We got mostly pollocks and cod 2 macks only

Advertisement