Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

This time last year I got nothing either so patience lads they'll be here soon enough in full swing
    I'm gonna leave it till 2nd week of july

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

Caught 1 mack about 2 weeks ago in Galway city and a pollock in Spiddal last week but nothing since. Anyone in Galway/Clare having any better luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This time last year I got nothing either so patience lads they'll be here soon enough in full swing
    I'm gonna leave it till 2nd week of july

I fully agree. Every year there is a frenzy about macks from May on but the east coast only kicks in mid July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Pizarro wrote: »
    Caught 1 mack about 2 weeks ago in Galway city and a pollock in Spiddal last week but nothing since. Anyone in Galway/Clare having any better luck?

I've been out a few times in the last week or two and caught around 10 each time in Clare including a few on Saturday afternoon. They were a good size too.

Planning on heading to Black Head tomorrow. Could you recommend any other areas to try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Paddysniper

Caught ten mackerel and a pollack last week in west Clare.

To any on you on here that leave rubbish and several trays from disposable bbq's at fishing spots, I'd love to meet up sometime with ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Pizarro wrote: »
    Planning on heading to Black Head tomorrow. Could you recommend any other areas to try?

I was further down the coast near Miltown. It's across from Liscannor bay but I'd imagine Black Head would be as good a spot as any.

Caught 12 pollock worth keeping today and another 12 or 15 that we threw back. No sign of mackerel yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

anybody catching them from the shore on the east coast yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Think the next week or so they will start to show up on the east coast. Cant wait. Mite go for a try for a few this week.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Just back from two days fishing in West Cork and I've never seen such big mackerel - they were huge! I'm talking up to 2lbs each. Now maybe they're like that all the time down there as it was my first time to fish the area, but I couldn't believe the size of them.
    Anyway, I was glad I only had three or four lures on the line as there was no way I could have hauled up any more at a time. Brought home at least forty or fifty fish tonight so we'll be eating well for the next couple of weeks.
    I have some video footage which I'll post when I recover!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Just back from two days fishing in West Cork and I've never seen such big mackerel - they were huge! I'm talking up to 2lbs each. Now maybe they're like that all the time down there as it was my first time to fish the area, but I couldn't believe the size of them.
    Anyway, I was glad I only had three or four lures on the line as there was no way I could have hauled up any more at a time. Brought home at least forty or fifty fish tonight so we'll be eating well for the next couple of weeks.

whereabouts in west Cork ?

robinwing wrote: »
    whereabouts in west Cork ?

Sorry, should have been a bit more specific. We were at Coolmain across from Courtmacsherry and we were fishing from kayaks but these fish could have been reached from the shoreline rocks (assuming you could access them).

2lb mackerel. That'd be some Craic with feathers lad. I can't wait to get out after them when they're eventually in.

2lb mackerel. That'd be some Craic with feathers lad. I can't wait to get out after them when they're eventually in.

I'm just editing the video now and 2lb is probably a bit optimistic but some of them were massive - certainly the biggest I've seen. Oh, and we just had three of them for dinner earlier and they were delicious :)

.....and here's the video.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Cracking video, some monster mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Some Big Macs there alright, well done

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Anyone know if the macks are up wicklow way yet between wicklow and bray?

Newcastle , kilcool, greystones ?

If not anyone know when they will be around that area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Seller159 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the macks are up wicklow way yet between wicklow and bray?

Newcastle , kilcool, greystones ?

If not anyone know when they will be around that area?

Thanks

None at the moment, within the next few weeks I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Went to crosshaven last night, there were 6 or 7 people fishing, not a sign of a mackerel.There were a few pollock caught but that was it.

Fish are being caught from bullock harbour. Dalkey, bray and dunlaoighre and poolbeg.
    Info given to me by owner of fishing shop.

Fish are being caught from bullock harbour. Dalkey, bray and dunlaoighre and poolbeg.
    Info given to me by owner of fishing shop.

Ino theres bass been caught in bray alri but not macks ?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    None at the moment, within the next few weeks I'd imagine.

Ok grand im looking forward to it :) last year was great i caught so many hopefull same this year

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Any confirmed catches around dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Any confirmed catches around dublin area?

Talked to 2 guys who were out by boat for a few hours Friday and Saturday from Bullock Harbour and they had nothing other than a few small pollack.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Was out in wicklow yesterday on a small boat. Between 2 of us we got 17 mackerel 1 nice cod and heaps of whitening. We fished for 4 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

was in dun laoighre yesterday in west pier for 3 hrs catch 2 pollack and other guys got flounder but not single mackerel

Out again today at black head in Clare. 3 small pollack and a large pod of dolphins but no mackerel. Gorgeous weather though!

• Advertisement

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Was out in wicklow yesterday on a small boat. Between 2 of us we got 17 mackerel 1 nice cod and heaps of whitening. We fished for 4 hrs.

How far form shore were you? Did you rent a boat there or your own?

Advertisement