Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Cap1

If anyone sees any fresh mackerel in any shops can they post it please. I've been flat out ringing around. none of the shops have any. I need it for Thursday night. im goung tope fishing friday morning. I'm in the dublin area and will travel. I can get frozen but would prefer fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

have you checked moore street as the fish mongers there usually have some

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I was out today for a few hours tope fishing, we used frozen macks an had 7 on board between 5 of us, so I wouldn't be too worried about fresh or not!

I haven't checked moore steet yet. I'll give them a try.

gumbo1 wrote:
    I was out today for a few hours tope fishing, we used frozen macks an had 7 on board between 5 of us, so I wouldn't be too worried about fresh or not!

That sounds like a savage days fishing. Hopefully we do that well. I'll use the frozen mackerel if I cant get an come Thursday . I'm going to try dun laoghaire east pier on Thursday night. I heard that the tope are going for frozen squid too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Was in dun laoghaire for few hours this eve bashing for macks. Not a thing sadly had the tide and weather. Few people there spinning too no sign of them. Seal showed no interest nether. There was very very small flats and whites being caught though on rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

This time last year there were very few macks around and we were in the middle of a heat wave. Then the following week (last week of July), they were everywhere. Ballycotton was bordering on the insane, you'd need to take out personal insurance fishing off the pier then.

So it's early days yet!

Cap1 wrote: »
    That sounds like a savage days fishing. Hopefully we do that well. I'll use the frozen mackerel if I cant get an come Thursday . I'm going to try dun laoghaire east pier on Thursday night. I heard that the tope are going for frozen squid too.

Great day, hope tomorrow is just as good! Tried squid an lost it to a doggie! If we hit any mackerel tomorrow I'll let ya know (winkwink)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

This time last year there were very few macks around and we were in the middle of a heat wave. Then the following week (last week of July), they were everywhere. Ballycotton was bordering on the insane, you'd need to take out personal insurance fishing off the pier then.

So it's early days yet!

I'd agree on the ballycotton thing, great to see so many out but always wonder if the catch is being put to good use. Generally I use the pier on the left, not as good fishing but at least you have some room to think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Spent a few hours in the kayak today at Clogherhead. No sign of any macks just a few small pollock. Caught one good size pollock and as I put my hand down to lift him in he got off the hook! Didn't see too many fishing of the pier either so obviously the macks haven't shown yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Odelay wrote: »
    I'd agree on the ballycotton thing, great to see so many out but always wonder if the catch is being put to good use. Generally I use the pier on the left, not as good fishing but at least you have some room to think.

There was a guy next me last year caught a few mackerel (his first) but was afraid to take them off the hooks. In his mid-thirties and was terrified of 'em, so I know where you're coming from!

It's always a bit more peaceful on the left pier. Never a wasteful evening down there though - one of the nicest unspoilt villages in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Any showing up in clare or galway

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

Any mackerel in Kinsale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No and no..

Very little anywhere - especially from shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    Any showing up in clare or galway
    Been going to Black Head in Clare and Nimmo's Pier in Galway weekly. Haven't caught any mackerel. Plenty of pollock in Clare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

If anyone sees any fresh mackerel in any shops can they post it please. I've been flat out ringing around. none of the shops have any. I need it for Thursday night. im goung tope fishing friday morning. I'm in the dublin area and will travel. I can get frozen but would prefer fresh.

Top Tip:

Tesco bag half full off Mackeral 2014, shove them into the back off the freezer for 2015....

Nahhh don't mention it, your welcome:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

ardle1 wrote: »
    Top Tip:

Tesco bag half full off Mackeral 2014, shove them into the back off the freezer for 2015....

Nahhh don't mention it, your welcome:)

I think it's fresh mackerel they were looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Was out on the boat on Galway's inner bay last weekend. Spent a couple of hours out and only 5 macks for my trouble.......

the lads where out in dalkey today. caught none.

Was out by lambay island on Tuesday we caught about a dozen! Moved onto irelands eye and ended up about 15 more! Some where of good eating and 2 for the freezer! There out there alright, just have to look for them but their not in any great numbers at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Listen guys, really bad year from the shore might be exactly what we need.
    It could possibly put a load of the bashers with plastic bags off the idea that its a free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Well said Mech1.... I have often seen lads just throwing live Mackerel (small ones too) into a black plastic bags and letting them slowly die by thrashing about for 10-15 minutes, p*sses me off. Plus lads taking far too many home just because they hit a decent shoal.
    I agree that is it slow so far this year for whatever reason, I was watching lad fishing for smoothhounds with peeler crabs as bait last night in a known 'Mackerel Hotspot' and was having a ball catching a few of them (6lb-8lbs) and throwing them back while others were getting a sore arm blanking with feathers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

the lads where out in dalkey today. caught none.

I was talking to a fella today and he said he caught a decent bag there yesterday far side of the island

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Nodster

some hope on the East coast, but none up Clogherhead way just yet, no fry - no nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Spent a few hours today and yesterday flogging the Prom in Galway. Tried spinners and feathers with no joy. Absolutely nothing doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Spent a few hours today and yesterday flogging the Prom in Galway. Tried spinners and feathers with no joy. Absolutely nothing doing there.

They're just not here in Galway. Give it 2 weeks hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Was over in balscadden last sunday for a few hours. No mackerel been caught. The place is a disgrace. Rubbish every where. Very disappointed. Remember I fished there years back and it was a beautiful place. No its a pure dump. It would just turn you off fishing. There were two of us fishing off a rock & there were lads standing behind us trying to cast. Another lad throwing rock from the car park trying to make the water. What has our country come to??? Wont be back there in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Pizarro wrote: »
    They're just not here in Galway. Give it 2 weeks hopefully.

I was at Tarrea pier near Kinvara 2 weeks ago and caught one mack. Was informed by a couple of locals that there was a run of them recently especially off Parkmore pier. I'm going to head there tomorrow to see what the craic is.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Was at the ballycotton pier this morning beautiful day ,calm sea a light breeze ,lots of sprat and noone around ,you couldnt ask for more perfect conditions but not a bite:-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

10 of us went out yesterday from Malahide fishing off Lambay island caught about 40 in the first hour then nothing for about 4 hours some of them were very big though

Advertisement