Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozzie3032

The big ones are known as horse mackarel NOT HALF as tasty as a normal size one ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Horse Mackeral are a different species to Mackeral. They have a spiked dorsal and look a bit like a cross of a mackeral and herring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Is there such a thing as pissy Mackeral. Females or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is there such a thing as pissy Mackeral. Females or something?

Lidl sell pissy mackerel

Lidl sell pissy mackerel

:D no seriously

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No there isn't such a thing.

No there isn't such a thing.

Or you just haven't heard of it!

Or you just haven't heard of it!

Why ask then? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Every time I see an update here I get my hopes up :-(

Why ask then? :mad:

why dismiss it if you haven't heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

There is a pissy ray! Happens when it's not filleted properly, can't imagine the same problem with macks!!

why dismiss it if you haven't heard of it

I haven't heard of a crumpled herring either but know it isn't an angling term or a fish. You are mixing it up with a pissy ray - ray belongs to the same family as sharks and when they are caught and badly handled they release urea into the body which accounts for the pissy smell. Will that do you now?

I haven't heard of a crumpled herring either but know it isn't an angling term or a fish. You are mixing it up with a pissy ray - ray belongs to the same family as sharks and when they are caught and badly handled they release urea into the body which accounts for the pissy smell. Will that do you now?

How would you account for a shark mackerel then somehow I get the feeling they are related to the 'shark' family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod. iLikeWaffles warned for personal abuse. Back to talking about mackerel lads. This thread went nuclear last year. Its not going to be given the opportunity to do so again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Caught 1 in cork harbour last night.And 2 really small joey mackerel

So anyway has anybody else ever heard about pissy makerel

Greystones north yesterday - not a thing! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

So anyway has anybody else ever heard about pissy makerel

Never heard of it. Maybe try Google.

Back on topic - Any reports from Skerries yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Any being caught around hook head? Was chatting a mate earlier. Caught a good few macks, pollack and a couple of nice cod off Spiddal on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

Hello all, there's a group of us heading to Limerick for a weekend in a few weeks time and we're looking to charter a boat to do some mackerel bashing on the west coast. Anyone any suggestions for an area and/or skipper that they've used before? All suggestions welcome. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Prunty wrote: »
    Hello all, there's a group of us heading to Limerick for a weekend in a few weeks time and we're looking to charter a boat to do some mackerel bashing on the west coast. Anyone any suggestions for an area and/or skipper that they've used before? All suggestions welcome. Cheers
    It appears too much 'mackeral bashing' has gone on in the past. They're pretty scarce now for people who just want a dinner rather than killing them for 'sport'.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

red sean wrote: »
    It appears too much 'mackeral bashing' has gone on in the past. They're pretty scarce now for people who just want a dinner rather than killing them for 'sport'.

Apologies if I used an inappropriate term, any mackerel caught would be eaten. I would say though that a few lads on a boat for an afternoon are hardly the reason for depletion of a marine population. Below is a quote from Simon Coveney from March 2014, addressing EU distribution of quotas to nations for fishing the €1 Billion North-East Atlantic fishery trade.

'However, he said that he welcomed the fact that Norway was given no additional access to fish mackerel in EU waters, and said that the outcome would also increase the amount of mackerel available to the Irish fleet by over 60 per cent, from a current 65,000 tonnes to 105,000 tonnes.'

Neither I or my friends are responsible for your empty frying pan and I might add that we would be injecting some money into the fishing industry in Ireland.

Any suggestions other than 'watch your language' would be appreciated. If I offend en masse I'll edit the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

red sean wrote: »

Bit misleading considering the amount of trawlers out there catching thousands in a day. Small percentage is down to mackerel bashing but these boats bring in thousands a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Prunty wrote: »
    Apologies if I used an inappropriate term, any mackerel caught would be eaten. I would say though that a few lads on a boat for an afternoon are hardly the reason for depletion of a marine population. Below is a quote from Simon Coveney from March 2014, addressing EU distribution of quotas to nations for fishing the €1 Billion North-East Atlantic fishery trade.

'However, he said that he welcomed the fact that Norway was given no additional access to fish mackerel in EU waters, and said that the outcome would also increase the amount of mackerel available to the Irish fleet by over 60 per cent, from a current 65,000 tonnes to 105,000 tonnes.'

Neither I or my friends are responsible for your empty frying pan and I might add that we would be injecting some money into the fishing industry in Ireland.

Any suggestions other than 'watch your language' would be appreciated. If I offend en masse I'll edit the OP.
    :pac: brillliant...:pac::pac: (ps i saw ye stealin all the mackeys outa galway bay last week....;):D)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭degzs

Any been caught in Galway city?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

degzs wrote: »
    Any been caught in Galway city?
    good few caught in oranmore last week, lads in the boats done even better ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Hello all.
    Im new to dublin living in castleknock.
    Could anyone tell me where is a good safe spot for mackerel fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

@prunty, apology accepted.
    It just sounded like so many boat trips I've seen in the past where it appeared great craic just killing mackeral for hours on end and then dump 95% of them.
    I'm well aware the deep sea trawlers are doing the main damage,however, it's completely insane to carch any more than you need from the rocks or from a pleasure boat. Any angler can verify that happens on a big scale when a shoal comes in.

Trawlers aside, there are no sprat about here this year at all, so hence no mackerel following.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Pike Eater

magentis wrote: »
    Hello all.
    Im new to dublin living in castleknock.
    Could anyone tell me where is a good safe spot for mackerel fishing?

Poolbeg irishtown is good for fishing for macks

Advertisement