Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Not a sausage off the peir in Coliemore last weekend. High seas and big winds probably not helping though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Spent an hour on the rocks at Balscadden, Howth this morning just after full tide. Hooked one fish which I lost to a seal. Bit of a disaster of a season so far. Just 3 fish caught in total one day a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

We've had this thundery warm weather now since mid june, I'd say once it breaks one way or the other we'll be in business. I'm dedicating an hour to jigging tomorrow so we'll see if my luck improves any bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We've had this thundery warm weather now since mid june, I'd say once it breaks one way or the other we'll be in business. I'm dedicating an hour to jigging tomorrow so we'll see if my luck improves any bit

I don't know where you are but we have only had thundery weather for 2 days this summer and still no macks here.

I don't know where you are but we have only had thundery weather for 2 days this summer and still no macks here.
    It was 19 degrees this morning and lashing! I'd call that pretty thundery!

• Advertisement

It was 19 degrees this morning and lashing! I'd call that pretty thundery!
    :rolleyes:
    Since mid June?

Strange how there was no water in the rivers until last weekend, when they rose by only a foot. It has been primarily warm and dry since June and we had perfect mackerel weather for weeks on end!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

True
    The weather has been perfect. Really strange that they ain't been pulled in in bucket loads yet

Since mid June?

Strange how there was no water in the rivers until last weekend, when they rose by only a foot. It has been primarily warm and dry since June and we had perfect mackerel weather for weeks on end!

There is a great weather forum on here you should check it out.
    Sunday, 1 June, 2014

TODAY ... Showers and possible thunderstorms

Tuesday, 3 June, 2014

TODAY ... There could be one or two heavy showers or thunderstorms by early afternoon in western counties

Wednesday, 4 June, 2014

.....but a band of heavy showers and local thunderstorms is likely to move in from the Atlantic

Thursday, 5 June, 2014

....Heavy thunderstorms are possible Friday night and Saturday in east-central

Friday, 6 June, 2014

TODAY ... Windy with periods of rain (developing by mid-day further north) and embedded thunderstorms,

Saturday, 7 June, 2014

but this will give way to another interval of showers and isolated thunderstorms reaching Leinster during the mid-day

Sunday, 8 June, 2014

TODAY ... Warm and humid with some heavy, thundery showers moving north

Monday, 9 June, 2014

Partly to mostly cloudy, warm and humid, occasional showers with some thunder

Tuesday, 10 June, 2014

TODAY ... Showers, thunderstorms

Wednesday, 18 June, 2014

One or two thunderstorms may develop

Thursday, 26 June, 2014

Rain continuing, sometimes rather heavy, and chance of some thunder

Friday, 27 June, 2014

Rather warm and very humid, outbreaks of heavy showers or thunderstorms across Munster and south Leinster

Sunday, 29 June, 2014

becoming partly to mostly cloudy with a few isolated showers, slight risk of thunder

Friday, 4 July, 2014

Blustery showers moving east this morning, risk of thunder

Saturday, 5 July, 2014

...some of them rather blustery with hail and thunder possible

Sunday, 6 July, 2014

A few sunny intervals this morning, then another round of blustery showers, one or two likely to become thundery with small hail

Monday, 7 July, 2014

Highs 17-19 C, high humidity levels will produce a muggy feel to the day

Tuesday, 8 July, 2014

thunderstorms are possible both this morning and later in western counties

Thursday, 10 July, 2014

rain mostly confined to northern counties, and rather warm and humid with highs 18-21 C

Friday, 11 July, 2014

Mostly cloudy but rather warm, risk of a few showers or thunderstorms

Sunday, 13 July, 2014

isolated heavier showers developing, possibly becoming thundery in a few places.

Monday, 14 July, 2014

Morning showers with risk of a brief thunderstorm

Tuesday, 15 July, 2014

and it will become warm and humid, with increasing cloud in western counties by afternoon,

Wednesday, 16 July, 2014

A few more showers, possibly thundery

Thursday, 17 July, 2014

risk of an isolated shower or thunderstorms

Thursday, 17 July, 2014 _ 9 p.m.

Severe thunderstorm alert

Friday, 18 July, 2014

will see powerful thunderstorms at times with risk of hail

Saturday, 19 July, 2014

A few showers may develop into heavy thunderstorms in parts of east Ulster

Sunday, 20 July, 2014

Just a slight risk of any thunderstorm activity

Tuesday, 22 July, 2014

cloud further west may spawn showers and a few thunderstorms.

Wednesday, 23 July, 2014

Showers and thunderstorms that have moved mainly offshore to the west will gradually return

Thursday, 24 July, 2014

the western third of the country will see some showers and thunderstorms

Friday, 25 July, 2014

thunderstorm activity will retreat back to the western counties

Wednesday, 30 July, 2014

but a greater chance of showers or an isolated thunderstorm

Thursday, 31 July, 2014

Mostly cloudy, a few showers and slight risk of a thunderstorm

Saturday, 2 August, 2014

There could be some thunder embedded around Dublin

UPDATE _ Sat 2 Aug 3 p.m.

Be alert for thunderstorm development about 4-7 p.m

You can quote all the Facebook pages you like but generally around the coast it had been perfect mackerel weather right through July. I know. I was out in it. I fished through the blazing sunshine and high temperatures. I saw the lack of water in the rivers due to little or no rain as well.

From the Met Office summary for July last -All mean temperatures were above their LTA (Long-Term Average). Most stations reported below average rainfall. Sunshine totals were variable. Monthly mean windspeeds ranged from five knots (9 km/h) at stations in the Midlands to 11 knots (20km/h)...

You can quote all the Facebook pages you like but generally around the coast it had been perfect mackerel weather right through July. I know. I was out in it. I fished through the blazing sunshine and high temperatures. I saw the lack of water in the rivers due to little or no rain as well.

From the Met Office summary for July last -All mean temperatures were above their LTA (Long-Term Average). Most stations reported below average rainfall. Sunshine totals were variable. Monthly mean windspeeds ranged from five knots (9 km/h) at stations in the Midlands to 11 knots (20km/h)...

Heres some more about what met.ie have said about July
    1st to 9th: Predominantly dry with some prolonged clear sunny periods but showers and bands of rain also.
    Thunderstorms at times with heavy falls in places.
    10th to 19th: Generally warm and humid, with rain, drizzle and showers at times, with the occasional heavy thundery
    downpour. A few periods of mist and fog. Dry otherwise with a few dull days but mainly good periods of sunshine.
    20th to 31st: Periods of mist, fog and sea fog with humid conditions remaining for a time. Generally dry with good
    sunshine, but with some showers with associated thunder and patchy rain and drizzle in places.

Its not a facebook page, its a weather forum, here is a link for it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971
    MT Cranium is one of the most respected posters on this site and his forecasts are way more accurate than anything you will find on met eireann.

I'm off now for the day to see if I can get me a few mackerel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yeah, I was catching them during the warm spell in June but they seem to have disappeared since around the shore

Two of my grandsons were at Clogherhead and it's environs for over 4 hours today. About 8 fishing at any one time. Nothing caught except a couple of small pollack - and seals everywhere! Guys on boats had no mackerel either.

I think it will be September before we see any real improvement, if any.

You get years like this every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Two of my grandsons were at Clogherhead and it's environs for over 4 hours today. About 8 fishing at any one time. Nothing caught except a couple of small pollack - and seals everywhere! Guys on boats had no mackerel either.

I think it will be September before we see any real improvement, if any.

You get years like this every now and again.

I do recall of season in 2011 and no mackerel were bein caught till end of August start of September.
    Could e a repeat but with the weather being so warm it's just strange.
    What's the conditions at sea like ATM? Is it rough or water not warm enough or something?

I do recall of season in 2011 and no mackerel were bein caught till end of August start of September.
    Could e a repeat but with the weather being so warm it's just strange.
    What's the conditions at sea like ATM? Is it rough or water not warm enough or something?

Sea temperature for most of the Irish Sea is just over 16c, which is more than a degree above normal for this time. Conditions are also fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I reckon the high windss arent helping.Macks hunt by sight and you wont get them if there's sand in the water.

I don't mean to be contrary but it a 4mph wind here, water is clear all week and still no fish. Generally conditions have been very favorable for mackerel since the end of june. This has happened many times before. The shoals just head further north some years. Catches in the UK are also poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

anything around south wexford rosdoonstown - slade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

I think because the weather is so perfect!
    That the Mackeral are actually in the fields beyond the shoreline feeding on the Barley :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭squidly

I was down in Ballycotton this evening and drove down the pier for a quick look,about twenty plus fishing,seen a few people with 2-3 mackeral with them and seen a guy bringing in two as i left.I was only there for about two mins though,so maybe it picked up later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

fishing hook head over weekend, zilch from the rocks. YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Any mackerel action reported either inside the harbour for float-fishers (e.g., by the bandstand on the East Pier) or for spinners and featherers (off the piers ends, backs of either pier)?

cheers

u

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JimLahey

uvox wrote: »
    Any mackerel action reported either inside the harbour for float-fishers (e.g., by the bandstand on the East Pier) or for spinners and featherers (off the piers ends, backs of either pier)?

cheers

u

Spent 2 hours spinning yesterday evening at the back of the east pier, caught one. I was talking to a couple of lads using feathers last Wednesday and they had 5 between them after spending the whole day at the back of the east pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Spent 3 hours on my boat within 2 mile of Nimmos pier, Galway last Thursday and caught a dozen reasonable sized macks & 1/2 dozen pollock as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Just got some news that it was crazy fishing out at kinsale by the rocks for the last 2 days don't know if it is true, does anybody know firsthand

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Anything in kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

mystickey wrote: »
    Just got some news that it was crazy fishing out at kinsale by the rocks for the last 2 days don't know if it is true, does anybody know firsthand

yup most of cork got a good helping last few days , i was in crosshaven i could of having as much as i want if i stayed there fishing feathers

i tried to get some on the fly once i had a dozen and failed miserably :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

There's something fishy going on here.

mirrors wrote: »
    Anything in kerry?
    Got nothing the last three days, I was talking to a guy in brandon point and he said they are getting the odd one or two over the last two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Ok My turn to put the bashers off,

Nothing getting caught at Dunlaoire, East Pier, West Pier Nothing.

You could cast till the horizon with 69 feathers and still not put a scale in the Aldi bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

squidly wrote: »
    I was down in Ballycotton this evening and drove down the pier for a quick look,about twenty plus fishing,seen a few people with 2-3 mackeral with them and seen a guy bringing in two as i left.I was only there for about two mins though,so maybe it picked up later!

Fished Ballycotton this evening for about 2 hours. There was 10-12 of us fishing and maybe 30 fish in total between us. None for me unfortunately :(:(

Advertisement