Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel thread 2014 - reports, queries and chat. Mod note post #318

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Hit the rocks in Howth again this morning. Caught a nice mackerel on the second cast and thought I'll fill a bucket handy in the hour now as conditions were perfect and no sign of seals. An hour and 15 minutes later walked away with the one fish. Didn't see anyone else catching either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Just in from howth.

Miserable. Started just about half 8 and spent at least 3 hours trying with feathers.
    Nothing.
    Gave up and just tried for anything then. Used lug, small bit of squid and rag, mussel and all I could catch was seaweed!
    I started just about an hour or so after low tide and fished right up until full tide.
    Got 2 tiny pollock and that was it.

I did see a seal eating what looked like a big dogfish between the two piers. It was like he was mocking me.

Might go again tomorrow just to see if I can get anything at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

mirrors wrote: »
    Anything in kerry?

Good catch in a boat off Valentia last Wednesday. Boatman said they were the first mack he had seen since earlier in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Themonkey

i got 9 macks in a hour and a half at colliemore this morning about 20 - 25 caught while i was there now there in the pan :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Lads, any being caught around Hook Head or Slade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Themonkey wrote: »
    i got 9 macks in a hour and a half at colliemore this morning about 20 - 25 caught while i was there now there in the pan :P:P

Did ya look in their stomach when ya cleaned them? Recognise anything in there? Just wondering what their feeding on if there only moving in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Fished down Roberts cove way tonight mackerel every single cast lol was annoying after awhile as I want a few pollock but it was my first day out where I had loads of Mack's
    Kept none tho most were small anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What part of the country is Roberts Cove?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Roberts+Cove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Plenty of mackerel in Salthill last night, pulled in 10 using a spinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Lots caught up in Coleraine last night too

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Abeedo

3 hours yesterday at Kinsale bridge , nothing for me or other guys

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

It's past crosshaven in co cork

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

Howarya lads,

Am gonna dig out the rod this weekend and head to dun laoighre, it's been a good 12 years since my last cast, excited to get back to not catching! When is the best time to head out re tides, and will a few simple feathers do me or would some live/dead bait improve my chances?!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

ajncam wrote: »
    Howarya lads,

Am gonna dig out the rod this weekend and head to dun laoighre, it's been a good 12 years since my last cast, excited to get back to not catching! When is the best time to head out re tides, and will a few simple feathers do me or would some live/dead bait improve my chances?!

Cheers!

A few simple feathers will do nicely for mackerel. 12 years? You might want to put some fresh line on your reel first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ajncam

dmc17 wrote: »
    A few simple feathers will do nicely for mackerel. 12 years? You might want to put some fresh line on your reel first :D

Yea I think a snapped handle put an end to my fishing career back then, nothing a bit of threaded rod can't fix now though!

Will drop into the fella in dun laoighre tomorrow and grab a few bits, what do ya reckon on the tide? When's best to go?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

ajncam wrote: »
    Yea I think a snapped handle put an end to my fishing career back then, nothing a bit of threaded rod can't fix now though!

Will drop into the fella in dun laoighre tomorrow and grab a few bits, what do ya reckon on the tide? When's best to go?

Cheers

Personally I find about 2 hours before high tide so you can fish as the tide is filling, but this could depend on where you're fishing. I also prefer fishing before dusk or early morning if the tides are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Any mackerel being caught in Ballyvaughan area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Had 35 last night somewhere between Roberts Cove and Kinsale. Some fairly big ones and all of them feeding on plankton. No sprat or sandeel to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 maryown

any mackerel caught around dublin, dun laoghaire, greystones, dalkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DE DEISE

Is it any wonder there's no Mackrel about
    There's a ship from Scotland called the Chris Andra
    It fishes off the West coast of Ireland for Mackrel only , it can catch 500 tones in 1 net a haul of over € 300,000 worth
    This thing is a floating factory it's so big

DE DEISE wrote: »
    It fishes off the West coast of Ireland for Mackrel only , it can catch 500 tones in 1 net a haul of over € 300,000 worth

While it certainly doesn't help this trawling does not account for a severe lack of bait fish around much of the coast this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

DE DEISE wrote: »
    She's a 70mt trawler, by no means massive.She's fishing out of Peterhead and Fraserburgh in the North Sea for the last few weeks now, so not the problem I'd say.
    The problem that srameen pointed to is harder to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Monkstown in Cork is riddled with sprat but has very few mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mystickey

Caught around 30 of them from the pier at ballycotton today early morning fairly big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Hi,

Many mackerel being caught off Howth pier at present?

Many thanks.

Monkstown in Cork is riddled with sprat but has very few mackerel.

And areas around Cork are seeing mackerel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

270WIN wrote: »
    Any mackerel being caught in Ballyvaughan area ?

Heard of a lad that had around 100 in Ballyreen this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

And areas around Cork are seeing mackerel.

Not a lot though.Ive been trying there since june and its been stuffed with bait fish and has only been producing macks in the last week or so.

Advertisement