Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Bank Account

Options
  • 24-05-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys. I'm heading to Portland for the summer in a couple of weeks and have a few questions regarding opening a bank account over there. Firstly, from my reading and conversations with people who've been on J-1 before, it seems that you're safest going with one of the big banks, which makes sense. Is there any in particular people would recommend? A friend who went to Chicago a couple of years ago has said Chase is good. Secondly, as I'll have to apply for my SSN and, since I'd like to work in a bar and due to Oregon state law, alcohol service and food handling permits, as well as probably having to sort out accommodation on arrival too, I'd ideally like to minimise on hassle by having a bank account set up before I go, and I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to do so. Has anyone else done this and have any advice to share? I've come across this on my searches though I'm not sure how reputable it is: ht tp://j1jobs.com/us_bank_account.asp

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Hi guys. I'm heading to Portland for the summer in a couple of weeks and have a few questions regarding opening a bank account over there. Firstly, from my reading and conversations with people who've been on J-1 before, it seems that you're safest going with one of the big banks, which makes sense. Is there any in particular people would recommend? A friend who went to Chicago a couple of years ago has said Chase is good. Secondly, as I'll have to apply for my SSN and, since I'd like to work in a bar and due to Oregon state law, alcohol service and food handling permits, as well as probably having to sort out accommodation on arrival too, I'd ideally like to minimise on hassle by having a bank account set up before I go, and I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to do so. Has anyone else done this and have any advice to share? I've come across this on my searches though I'm not sure how reputable it is: ht tp://j1jobs.com/us_bank_account.asp

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

I doubt you could have one setup before you go, just call in first thing when you're over there, it won't take long. Some banks might require your SSN but I don't think it's necessary.

Choose a bank that has a lot of ATMs where you'll be, otherwise you'll have to pay to use the ATM. For all you'll use it while you're here I doubt any other difference between banks will matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

TD Bank are good. I still have mine open. It is a checking account and you need a balance of $100 to avoid fees. To the best of my memory I needed proof of address and SSN to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Check the area you're going to be living in. Big banks are everywhere, but the concentrations greatly vary.....I live in Cincinnati, there's 1 chase bank within 30 miles of here, very few Bank of America branches, but US Bank are everywhere.

Advertisement