Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boots and helmets

• 24-05-2014 10:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

might already be a thread here on this but im looking for opinions and advice ,

best helmet

best boots

getting started on bikes and ive already had the advice buy a helmet in relation to what you think your head is worth which is good advice in my opinion.

so i m asking you fellas and ladys whats the best one out there , whats the best value out there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

best helmet, is the one that fits the best....simple as that, the only way to find it is to try one every one in the price range you want to spend on one.

for the boots its basically the same, find a pair that fit the purpose, and again within your price range,

My advice, go to cotters or anywhere with a decent range, try on as many as you can and get advice from the guys there, and if you don't mind dropping a few quid their way for the advice then buy the helmet from them or what ever shop you choose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

getting started on bikes and ive already had the advice buy a helmet in relation to what you think your head is worth which is good advice in my opinion.

With helmets, you need keep in mind that a lot of the time you are paying for comfort/ features and not safety. There are lots of cheap helmets out there safer than expensive ones. As CNTRLR said, fit is extremely important.

The sharp rating should help you get an idea of what's safe and cheap, they also have a helmet fit guide: sharp.direct.gov.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Fit, comfort, noise and safety are some of the things to consider when buying a helmet.
    I would assume that you head is worth loads of money, I might even think it was priceless, as without it you would not be here.

Boots need to be waterproof, comfortable and offer good protection.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought the Shark Vision R - as it was the best value helmet with all the features I was looking for.
    I got the TCX S-Sporteur Waterproof as they were the best value waterproof all rounder boot I could find.
    Textiles & Leathers are both RST Slice.

Obviously always make sure to try this stuff on to make sure it fits - but with all the research I did I'm very happy with my purchases and I think I got excellent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

There is no "best helmet" or "best boots". Like tyres, everybody has their favourite and the ones they avoid. Personally, I like Shark and HJC helmets. Wouldn't use anything else. As for boots, I like TCX or Alpinestars. But that's just what my preferences are...not which are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As PKM said, there's no best. I do the same as Zascar, I have a certain few features I want, find a few helmets with them, and go with that and ended up getting a Nolan N102, then the newer model N103 a few years later.
    Some cheaper lids with the features I wanted available, but the Nolan felt the best quality for the price.
    Boots are personal preference too. Head into bikeworld or cotters and try a few on. Definitely don't buy online unless you've tried on the exact same helmet/boots (same make and model) because the right size is the most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Im only starting out myself and have no gear, can people please share links and anywhere they know of thats got good offers on at min, need to buy this week .

Thanks

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What size are you? A friend of mine bought boots, helmet, gloves and a textile one piece suit from cotters last year but never followed through and got a bike - he is flogging the gear for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

Hey Vikings,

Im size 10 boots, 6' tall med build, wheres he based?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Sent you a pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement