Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback thread 2014

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If a person continues to poke a bear, they will eventually get a box.

We've all been poked at some stage, and I'm sure the majority have reacted.

and I'm sure we've all taken our punishments for doing so on the chin.

I've been told mods, cmods and admins are no different than us mere mortals so let's just see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

just so you know, a mod can't infract a Cmod, and a Cmod can't infract an Admin, it's how the software works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Agueroooo wrote: »
    We've all been poked at some stage

look, I know he's your mate, but he's done more than "poke at some stage". He's poked at every stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Zaph wrote: »
    No doubt that you'll now go off whinging to your sycophantic little cohort on Twitter about how the big bad admin has it in for you. You know what? You're damn right he does. This is your final warning, cut out the crap and start behaving like 99% of the posters in this forum are able to behave, or I'll personally ban you from the forum myself.

Do you guys check posters twitter's to see what they are saying often?

look, I know he's your mate, but he's done more than "poke at some stage". He's poked at every stage.

You've wrongly taken that one line out of the whole context of the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RasTa wrote: »
    Do you guys check posters twitter's to see what they are saying often?

I doubt it, but I alluded to Twitter stuff toward the start of this thread, and if I have heard it you can bet your ass mods and admins have also been made aware of stuff on Twitter so it would be in their interests to keep and eye on it wouldnt it?

kryogen wrote: »
    I doubt it, but I alluded to Twitter stuff toward the start of this thread, and if I have heard it you can bet your ass mods and admins have also been made aware of stuff on Twitter so it would be in their interests to keep and eye on it wouldnt it?

Why would it be in there interests? Not sure what twitter stuff you are talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RasTa wrote: »
    Why would it be in there interests? Not sure what twitter stuff you are talking about

No point in continuing this on here then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

just so you know, a mod can't infract a Cmod, and a Cmod can't infract an Admin, it's how the software works.

Not enitrely true, Mars Bar, rightly carded me this year for abusing Ramires during the Villa game where he stamped on the Villa player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LiamoSail wrote: »
    There was an issue with the locking of a thread recently which I found entirely out of order. A thread, which hadn't been violating the charter was locked without so much as a explanation as to why. When a similar thread was started, it was again locked with a mod stating they didn't know why the original was locked, but they were locking this one. My issue is that it's just ignorant locking a thread without explanation, or identifying who locked it, and creates unnecessary animosity

The mod that locked the second thread then did absolutely eff all to ascertain why the original was locked. What are we then expected to do? PM every forum mod to check who locked it and why? Why did the second mod not just question it on the mod forum? Do the mods want 7/8 posters PMing them all asking who locked whatever thread? Seems daft to me, and as with the above, puts the mods in the role of Police rather than posters contributing to the building and bettering of the forum.

The thread in question was the thread on how Celtic and Scottish football in general was fairing without Rangers.

First thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057169359&page=2

Second thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89481339

I'd like to know why the mod who locked the first thread didn't explain the decision or identify themselves, and why the second mod, after going to the hassle of locking the second thread, didn't follow up on why the first thread was locked. Would seem to be an issue of basic courtesy to me.

By and large however, I believe the mods do a difficult job well, and in any dealing I have had with mods,have always felt they handled situations fairly

Is it possible this could be addressed? The reasons behind the locking of the second thread are obvious, but the second thread wouldn't have been started had anyone known why the first was locked.

Seems amazing that the only solution to such an issue is to PM every single mod. Do mods really want to be getting PMs off various different users regarding the locking of a thread which had nothing to do with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can we have all mod warnings linked into the first post of the thread ? I'm not going to go out of my way to find post 3001 or 6011 in the Liverpool or Celtic threads.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Can we have all mod warnings linked into the first post of the thread ? I'm not going to go out of my way to find post 3001 or 6011 in the Liverpool or Celtic threads.

I've mentioned it before, it makes it easier to read also.

So thats one thing I'll be looking to do from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Jesus this thread is a mess.

Didn't bother going on until now because I didn't think there was much to discuss, only got linked here by the 'Posts of the Year' thread.

It's a good forum and the mods are doing a grand job. I picked up my first yellow the other day in the CL final thread, quoting a few of my firiends posts from facebook, and in hindsight I realise their posts were against the charter, so no complaints. From my limited experience, it seems the mods are on the ball and take appropriate action.

I had no idea there were so many 'issues'. Place runs grand enough as far as I'm concerned.

'Trolls' get called out for the most part, and really if people just avoided getting so wound up, that would be most of the problem solved. People getting precious and defensive is a big part of the problem too - if your mate made a bit of a comment against your team in the pub you wouldn't go off crying so I think it should be similar on here.

Basically don't try to piss people off, but don't also automatically assume someone is trying to piss you off.

The disruptive posters are few and far between imo

Had no idea Nuri was a 'troublemaker', as has been said my experience of him is that he's a good poster who watches an awful lot of football so can give you some good insights to players I would know little to nothing about. I'm not sure it's wise to have a public naming and shaming like this coming from a mod, but then again I don't know the ins and outs of everything...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Is it possible this could be addressed? The reasons behind the locking of the second thread are obvious, but the second thread wouldn't have been started had anyone known why the first was locked.

Seems amazing that the only solution to such an issue is to PM every single mod. Do mods really want to be getting PMs off various different users regarding the locking of a thread which had nothing to do with them?

This really is annoying for me to. I visit quite a lot of forums and one of the most common practices is that when a thread gets locked, the moderator explains why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Liverpool Superthread 2013/14 *Mod Warning in Post 27636347347647*

Would it be possible to just link to the warning in the OP in future?

EDIT: See it's already been addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah come on, is it really that big a deal if something's not working to have the opportunity to change it more than once a year? The first international break of the new year then? The blanket "wait until feedback at the end of the season" when questioning anything was incredibly frustrating at times this season when match threads were being derailed every week by the same people without repercussion. Is there really no scope for discussion once this thread is closed?

You do realise you've being derailing Man U match threads all season by constantly going on about Liverpool fans. You're hypocrisy is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Zaph wrote: »
    There is one single thing that could happen which would, in one fell swoop improve moderation in the forum and improve the forum experience for many posters in it - that's for you to go and annoy some other site. In all my time as a mod and admin on Boards I have never seen a single poster taking up so much of a forum's mods time and, by extension, that of the CMods and admins as well. Your behaviour on this forum, not to mention nasty little stunts you pull such as the crap in your sig and profile this week, results in endless discussions between the mods. This in turn reduces the amount of time they have available to moderate the rest of the forum. And rubbish like what I've quoted above clearly demonstrates that you never miss an opportunity to have a sly dig at the mods. It wouldn't kill you once in a while to actually be appreciative of the work they do on what is probably the hardest forum to mod on Boards, and to stop being such a royal pain in the ass for them for a bit.

No doubt that you'll now go off whinging to your sycophantic little cohort on Twitter about how the big bad admin has it in for you. You know what? You're damn right he does. This is your final warning, cut out the crap and start behaving like 99% of the posters in this forum are able to behave, or I'll personally ban you from the forum myself.
    While it would suit me to remain under the radar and continue posting without sticking my head above the parapet, on reading the above i find that i cannot.

That post is just simply wrong.

Whatever issues you have with Nuri have little to do with the majority of us, Zaph. I realize you are frustrated, which is very evident in your post, but using a public forum to threaten a member is just setting him up to be targeted by members of the forum who dislike him.

You have given carte blanche to other users to keep poking Nuri with a pointy stick until he reacts and then can blame him for reacting.

Shame on you, Zaph. I honestly expected better from you.

5live wrote: »
    While it would suit me to remain under the radar and continue posting without sticking my head above the parapet, on reading the above i find that i cannot.

Whatever issues you have with Nuri have little to do with the majority of us, Zaph. I realize you are frustrated, which is very evident in your post, but using a public forum to threaten a member is just setting him up to be targeted by members of the forum who dislike him.

You have given carte blanche to other users to keep poking Nuri with a pointy stick until he reacts and then can blame him for reacting.

Shame on you, Zaph. I honestly expected better from you.

Nuri and the rest of the forum all have to post within the charters guidelines.

You can be damn sure anyone trying to provoke/bait ANY member will be carded accordingly, so it isnt open season on Nuri and trying to troll himinto a reaction for a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

GavRedKing wrote: »

You can be damn sure anyone trying to provoke/bait ANY member will be carded accordingly, so it isnt open season on Nuri and trying to troll himinto a reaction for a ban.

Yet there is a remarkable lack of a card, or any sign of an infraction, in Zaph's post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

First post in the soccer forum!!

Personally, I think the soccer forum is well-modded (seems to be a decent enough balance between "too strict" and "not strict enough" complaints!). For sure, there are a few posters who create a lot of noise and whose contributions possibly aren't as valuable as they think they are but there are annoying people in real life too and you have to just live with that. The best thing to do is probably the same as real life: ignore them or reduce your level of interaction with them.

However, you can't deny it's unhelpful if admins interact with users in a manner that would bring punishment for normal posters, particularly in the context of a feedback thread.
    5live wrote: »

+1

My specific feedback is that mods' interactions - at least, public ones - with users (however frustrating they are) should reflect the tone they want to promote within the forum i.e. I don't see how you can hope to promote a less fractious environment if official communications are as dismissive and aggressive as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Sorry Gav, but that is implied in Zaphs post, imo.

As an administrator, he is the last port of call by anyone banned on the site. He explicitly stated he would prefer Nuri not to post on the site anymore. I have no problems with either person in question. I don't follow the posts and ins and outs of their disputes and can only judge them on my exposure to them. From the postings i have seen from you on here i dont doubt you are telling the truth.

But if you think that post isn't painting a target on Nuris back then I don't know what to think any more.

Knex. wrote: »
    Yet there is a remarkable lack of a card, or any sign of an infraction, in Zaph's post.

Zaph isnt trying to provoke a reaction from Nuri, the way I see it hes laying his hand on the table in the open forum instead of PMing Nuri.

Zaph & Nuri arent strangers, not on the site anyway and I assume theyve had PM exchanges, as an Admin hes privy to more information than myself or the Soccer Mods so I wouldnt ask him to go into details if theyve had PM conversations.

Its also very possilbe and likely that Zaphs post is an in thread, Admin warning, like what we post but without the bold and caps and whistle and the such, worth taking that into consideration.

Zaph isnt trying to provoke a reaction from Nuri, the way I see it hes laying his hand on the table in the open forum instead of PMing Nuri.

Zaph & Nuri arent strangers, not on the site anyway and I assume theyve had PM exchanges, as an Admin hes privy to more information than myself or the Soccer Mods so I wouldnt ask him to go into details if theyve had PM conversations.

Its also very possilbe and likely that Zaphs post is an in thread, Admin warning, like what we post but without the bold and caps and whistle and the such, worth taking that into consideration.

Sorry now, but you can't justify that. You really can't, Gav. That's a rather feeble attempt to do so, as well.

I'm disappointed that you would try, actually.

I don't want to pick apart your post and drag this on any more, but come on, in fairness.

For a starters, if he's privy to more information, then he is for a reason. Using that in the manner he did in his post in a public and fast moving thread, is hardly right.

You would expect him to act as the role suggests, but instead he attacked the poster and so should be moderated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

That is complete bull**** Gav. If I got a card for calling Moyes a w*nker in a United thread earlier on in the season. I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction. Zaph attacked the poster, not the post and that's a card for any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No need to get worked up lads...there's a procedure in place for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

From reading this thread a lot of people need to grow up and bury the hatchet.

So the post I referenced earlier has been deleted from the 'posts of 2014' thread..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90614043&postcount=38

ummmm no explanation either, or was it deleted by the OP?

Intrigued.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Agueroooo wrote: »
    So the post I referenced earlier has been deleted from the 'posts of 2014' thread..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90614043&postcount=38

ummmm no explanation either, or was it deleted by the OP?

Intrigued.
    It was deleted by me. Given the posting of it in a thread that would be stickied for the rest of the year could be considered goading/gloating, in my view referencing to the fact it was deleted would serve absolutely no purpose other than result in some posters then attempting to search for the original post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

monkey9 wrote: »
    You do realise you've being derailing Man U match threads all season by constantly going on about Liverpool fans. You're hypocrisy is laughable.

You have an example of this? Or are you just going to make baseless statements based around absolutely nothing based around getting a reaction like you have been all season?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Knex. wrote: »
    No action will be taken against an Admin who has done exactly what any Admin is permitted to do on the site, and that is call it as it is. And yes different principles apply in this case. Admins have a final say on all matters on the site. The only way you could possibly challenge that would be by sending an e-mail or PM to Dav in the Boards office. I suspect that in this case such action would be fruitless as Dav is fully aware of the background here and has contributed to discussion in the Soccer Mods forum on the topic.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    No action will be taken against an Admin who has done exactly what any Admin is permitted to do on the site, and that is call it as it is. And yes different principles apply in this case. Admins have a final say on all matters on the site. The only way you could possibly challenge that would be by sending an e-mail or PM to Dav in the Boards office. I suspect that in this case such action would be fruitless as Dav is fully aware of the background here and has contributed to discussion in the Soccer Mods forum on the topic.

Never knew.

Christ, there's obviously so much more to this than I bloody know, isn't there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Lol where was my public out cry when I was outed in last years feedback thread, actually I see some names that are horrified now were calling for me to be lynched.

It's their forum, They make the rules, if you don't like them then go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Lol where was my public out cry when I was outed in last years feedback thread, actually I see some names that are horrified now were calling for me to be lynched.

Very true, guess you're not in a clique...

Mod warnings should always be in the OP. Can be a pain searching for post no. 2143 or what have you. This rule should apply to everything on boards.
    This is one thing we are currently discussing in the Soccer Mods forum. There is a consensus amongst the mods that supports this, but we are thinking through whether to repeat the warnings, or simply provide links in the OP (bearing in mind there could be several warnings in a single thread) and to what extent this is then reflected in the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This is one thing we are currently discussing in the Soccer Mods forum. There is a consensus amongst the mods that supports this, but we are thinking through whether to repeat the warnings, or simply provide links in the OP (bearing in mind there could be several warnings in a single thread) and to what extent this is then reflected in the thread title.

Personally on my phone it's much easier to read a warning if it's in the op and not linked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The play here was for the mods to just leave the post there and ignore any commentary on it tbh. Anything else just comes across as mealy mouthed and hamfisted.

Jaysus. Isn't really difficult! Warning is where the warning is, thread title updated to 'warning in OP'. Edit the OP to say 'Mod warning: <post link>. If another warning or warnings gets added you update thread title to 'warnings in OP' and just add 'Additional Mod warning: <post link> and 'Further Mod warning: <post link> to the OP as necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The play here was for the mods to just leave the post there and ignore any commentary on it tbh. Anything else just comes across as mealy mouthed and hamfisted.

What post?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Jaysus. Isn't really difficult! Warning is where the warning is, thread title updated to 'warning in OP'. Edit the OP to say 'Mod warning: <post link>. If another warning or warnings gets added you update thread title to 'warnings in OP' and just add 'Additional Mod warning: <post link> and 'Further Mod warning: <post link> to the OP as necessary.
    No-one said it was difficult, and Gav had already mentioned he was supportive of it. I was simply confirming to someone who has since deleted their post that we are looking at it. However if we simply leave it for the mods to do it their own particular way someone will complain of inconsistency. Just making sure everyone's on the same page before comfirming any details ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

This thread reminds me of the Garda Commisioner debacle.

Nuri being the unfairly treated whistleblower in this instance.

It's not the first time Nuri has being singled out by the mod team, they also made a fool of him with his comments on the word retard.

Guess he really is a pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

No-one said it was difficult, and Gav had already mentioned he was supportive of it. I was simply confirming to someone who has since deleted their post that we are looking at it. However if we simply leave it for the mods to do it their own particular way someone will complain of inconsistency. Just making sure everyone's on the same page before comfirming any details ....

Deleted it when I looked back and saw Gavs post. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Feedback thread is as successful as ever I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

5starpool wrote: »
    Feedback thread is as successful as ever I see.

If we come out the other side of it with 1 or 2 small changes that improve an already good forum then it will have been.

What exactly are people expecting from it? Consistency seems to be the problem for the majority of people every time this thread comes around, it's never going to be sorted unless there is no ambiguity in the charter and there is no leeway given to mods and that would become a much worse forum IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't know if its being suggested before but what about a fair play award? A league table of the least infracted posters, who post regularly.

Maybe an end of year prize?

Its all stick at the moment, perhaps we need some carrot?

Fescue wrote: »
    I don't know if its being suggested before but what about a fair play award? A league table of the least infracted posters, who post regularly.

And if you're really, really good, you get a Gold Star and a higher post count than Mike65.

:p

Personally, I don't think it's needed. You shouldn't need an incentive based system just to stop people being a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Fescue wrote: »

There would be loads and loads of posters who have zero infractions or the like though.
    I think majority have no interaction with the mods at all do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Ok it was a stupid idea. As you were.

I wouldn't mind but UEFA probably would have given the winner entry into the Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This thread is fantastic entertainment in passing a pre-Bank Holiday weekend Friday, I have to say. The time has flown past reading it :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement