Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knee injury,Should I try hot yoga?

• 24-05-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I have currently knee ligament injury,Is it ok to try yoga?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Hi Fire Man,
    Unfortunately one injury that yoga cannot help easily is a knee injury. The best way to heal a knee injury is complete rest. And possibly some gentle .... very gentle exercises to strengthen the other muscles in the leg so that they can compensate and take some of the pressure/load off the knee.

Having said that, depending on the exact type of injury, this may be able to be improved by a very experienced yoga teacher.... but in a setting of a one-to-one session.

I would recommend Lisa Petersen in Dublin as being the best yoga teacher for this.

You can find her contact details at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/dublin-yoga-classes/

Or Helen Gillespie also at the above link.

Do a search on the page for their names, as it has the contact details of all yoga teachers in Dublin.

I would advise you to stay away from a 'general yoga class'.

At least on a one-to-one basis Lisa or Hannah will be able to explore the effects on your knee of micro movements in order to explore exactly how the knee ligament injury is affecting your knee, and then find exercises which won't exacerbate the pain or the strain, but will allow strengthening of the muscles in the leg which will help protect the knee.

They will also probably recommend certain movements and ways of moving the knee that you should avoid in your everyday life.

I have been practising and teaching yoga for many years, and although I believe that yoga and meditation are the two most transformational bodies of knowledge that I have come across, it is really important that we also point out the limitations of yoga,
    and to urge caution when it is required.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I've had two cartilage knee ops and a shoulder op in the last 4 years and surgeons were immensely impressed with recovery. What I put that down to is Bikram Yoga.

In your case you would need to heal fully first before starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Be very careful with yoga. It's not for everyone. I'm one of those people with a spine that just doesn't suit yoga. Ended up in back surgery following yoga injuries.

I'm not saying not to do it, but if you are seriously considering it, speak to your physio first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks will discuss with physio,i'm back light jogging and cycling so i thought would be able for yoga.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

One of the reasons why yoga is not good, is that there are many postures such as padmasana..... or any posture where you put your foot or ankle across the opposite thigh while having the knee bent.

These postures also happen during a Bikram yoga class... and in most Bikram yoga classes the teachers won't ask you about injuries and will not walk around giving individual modifications to people with injuries. Siochain may have been very fortunate in that after her ops, that there was not any damage done to the ligaments. That is great that you put part of your recovery down to Bikram.

One particular posture in Bikram yoga puts huge pressure on the knee, where you are standing, and bend your knee and bring it across the opposite thigh, and then try to bend down. There are other postures too which can bring a huge amount of pressure on the knee.

Your doctor is unlikely to know about various postures within yoga, or their effect/strain they put on the knee.

I would urge caution, and try to seek one-to-one instruction with a very experienced yoga teacher.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

i've done bikram for a really long time even before moving to Dublin and I find it great for any injury. In Asia and in America where I have lived and practiced regularly the instructors were alway aware of injured students and even in the studio that I go to in Dublin. The instructors have given things for injured people to do. I think it depends on the studio but the one I go to in Dublin is great and I have always seen their instructors to be very aware of any student issue and to give them alternatives for it.

Personally, I know lots of people with knee injury, shoulder injury and even herniated discs that do Bikram and they are ok, intact there was a big improvement in their condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I would agree with yoginindublin in that the teachers I know of (harolds cross) would always ask when you are signing in about injuries and provide modifications. If its a different teacher the next time you go just let them know they will be more than happy to help you.

burrenyoga is right in that some of the postures are tough on the knees if they are injured but listen to the teacher and your body and don't push it hard and build up gently. Be careful burrenyoga has an issue with Bikram yoga. Like anything when your healthy enough try it for yourself.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

Yes, I used to practice there and the instructors would know about injuries. I am now in Ringsend closer to where I live and I have since discovered that one of the teachers there also has a knee injury (not from yoga but from running) and a couple of other students there are working thru injury as well and they are always given alternatives.

I think the most important is always to listen to your body and let the instructor know if you are dealing with something.

siochain wrote: »
    I would agree with yoginindublin in that the teachers I know of (harolds cross) would always ask when you are signing in about injuries and provide modifications. If its a different teacher the next time you go just let them know they will be more than happy to help you.

burrenyoga is right in that some of the postures are tough on the knees if they are injured but listen to the teacher and your body and don't push it hard and build up gently. Be careful burrenyoga has an issue with Bikram yoga. Like anything when your healthy enough try it for yourself.

Best of luck

Advertisement