Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations/advice: sailing schools, training, licencing?

• 25-05-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi chaps,

I did the tall ship races 2 years back and want to continue sailing. I would like to start working towards getting an in shore sailing (day skipper) licence this summer and am looking for recommendations on programmes as they can be expensive. I love in Dublin but have been told by many that classes are cheaper in the west, especially Cork.

I have 10 days experience at sea, but no formal training at sailing. Any idea how much I should expect to spend and how long it would take to get at least a day skipper certification?

Many thanks in advance.

PS if anyone knows of cheap summer yacht clubs in Dublin I'd love to get some suggestions as well. Last year Dun Laorghie yacht club had an amazing offer, May-September, 200 Euro. It included access to all of their club vessels. I haven't seen any similar offers yet this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

hyc introductory membership is €150 for a year. Plenty of boats will take you on as crew. They also have the Sailfleet J80s there again this year for members to use. Plus members get a discount on training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

INSC in Dun Laoghaire. They do some keelboat stuff now aswell as dinghies. Howth are running adult sailing classes aswell on the J80s on Thursday nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Since you have some experience join SailingInDublin.

It's about E350 for the year and they have their own boats - a Sigma 33, a Ruffian and a few dinghies.
    You can get out most weekday evenings and weekend days if you want to.

They also regularly arrange discounts for their members who want to go on competent crew and day skipper courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Eoin_Eamon

thanks Phoenix. SID is what I was looking for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Delighted to hear you got sorted Eoin_Eamon.
    Many happy hours on Obsession, Ruff Diamond and the laser vagos to you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement