Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My neurotic dog....

• 25-05-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

So last night madame was hopping up on the sofa as usual, she let out a squeal as she hopped up and then plopped herself straight onto my lap where she stayed all night, naturally I was comforting her and giving her lots of attention, we thought she stood on something on the floor, maybe my slippers had a stone in them or something, didn't think too much about it.

Last night himself let them out and he said when they came back in she gave another little squeal when she came in the door (we have one step up to the door), of course he went and gave her lots of cuddles and attention after this but he said she didn't get up on the sofa as normal.

This morning she still won't get up on the sofa, in fact she put her two front paws up on it and stayed that way for about half an hour, getting into the car later again just put her two front paws up and I had to lift her in, no squealing. I've checked her all over (gently) to see if there's any sore spots and no squealing, she's eaten and pooped normally, when we got home I dried her off a bit then patted her on the bum and said 'good to go' like I always do when I finish drying them, she squealed again (and again got cuddles and affection) she's acting slightly odder than normal (she's quite a neurotic dog in general), lots of standing around (as she won't get up on the sofa, they have a bed but the older lad tends to favour that), now she's just lying on the floor.

At first I thought she was being smart and figured out that a bit of a squeal and the sad face meant she got extra attention and cuddles but of course I'm worried there's something wrong (although I'm slightly embarrassed to go to the vets again as I've been 3 times in the last month/6 weeks, once with her she had a minor infection and twice with older lad with his arthritis, he'll think I'm neurotic as well)

Himself thinks maybe she's pulled a muscle or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was going to say that being reluctant to hop up onto couches/steps is one of the first signs of arthritis but you have experience with arthritis so I'm sure you already knew that.

You said you felt around, did you manipulate her legs, see if she will let you lift them and all? If it was me I'd go to the vet. There is obviously something wrong so I wouldn't worry about going too often or anything :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd echo whispered's advice to head for the vet, as that yelping isn't happening for no reason. It can be hard to find the source of what sounds like musculoskeletal pain without really manipulating the limbs and spine.
    I hope it's nothing that a bit of rest won't sort out :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yeh I've manipulated the back and front legs (gently) and her range of movement is fine, she's walking fine and I broke into a trot on our run (nearly died..) and she's trotting along fine (I can't call it running!), was just outside playing football with them and she's interested in playing as much as she usually is and I had a gentle kick about with her she even jumped up a couple of times almost without realising or thinking and then 4 paws back on the ground very quickly but no yelping or squealing. Very odd, she's deffo out of sorts though so back to the vets tomorrow, he will start thinking I fancy him.

Advertisement