Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian and annemic

Options
  • 25-05-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

ey
    So I'm 16, I'm vegetarian, I don't eat dairy products and I don't really eat vegetables.
    I constantly feel tired and weak. The only thing I eat is mashed potatoes and plain pasta. Other than that I only really eat sweets and popcorn, a lot of it..I try to stop but I really can't!
    I always had a huge phobia of needles, blood and veins. I don't even like people touching my hands/arms/wrists/neck because of the veins and my pulse, I don't know why but it just freaks me out and always has. I can't even look at my own wrists because they freak me out, I'm always wearing long sleeved shirts to cover them up so that I don't have to look at them.
    Anywho, for the past few months I have gotten really pale , and I'm already quite pale so I look like death x 20. I have got random bruises along my legs which I cant explain for. I have a dry throat constantly and it hurts when I swallow. I am around 5'5 and I'm 57kg so my weight is healthy for my height.
    The nurse at my boarding school wants to take me to the doctor in the local town to get my bloods done so that she can find out what's wrong with me but I'm too scared.
    I honestly can't stress it enough of how much wrists creep me out, touching them freaks me out never mind sticking a damn needle in it to take my blood out!
    So yeah, is there anything I can do to find out what's wrong with me, other than taking my blood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You seem to have a thing about multiple threads on the same topic too.

Did you not like the good advice on your other thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ItIsThatGirl

Only one person replied there, I thought I might get more help here. I only posted this under phobias, I wouldn't regard that as multiple amount of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Same advice applied here, although you will probably get more replies. I'd imagine they'll tell you much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I know sometimes people can't see the wood from the trees when stuck in a rut so don't take this the wrong way.

I can see whats wrong with you just from reading your post.

You eat nothing but carbs and sh1te, no vitamins, no protein, nothing. You're malnourished. Its as simple as that. At an age where you're supposed to grow and develop. Not good at all.

I would also recommend some mental help in general. You don't seem to have a healthy relationship with your body. Its almost as if you're torturing yourself and your body for some reason. This whole veins, arms, wrist thing does not sound healthy. Again don't take it the wrong way, it just doesn't.

If there is any chance you could make an attempt at addressing those issues I would highly recommend it. Especially the diet stuff as you're still developing and such a diet can leave you short in ways that you will never be able to compensate for as an adult.

Really you need to seek out help. Don't be looking for shortcuts (without going to a doctor), seek help. If you don't you will be paying for it for the rest of your life. I can't stress enough hope important this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Honestly there is probably no point getting the tests done because you already know its down to your diet. Would you not change your diet and see if it improves? If you get the tests done you're going to have to change your diet anyway.

You cant just eat pasta and mash and hope your body stays healthy, you need to eat a balanced diet.

As for diagnosing whats wrong, they'll probably want to do bloods to assess what exact vitamins or minerals you're lacking.

If you tell the person doing the bloods that you're scared they'll allow you to lie down usually and they'll put you at ease. Drink plenty of water before you get them done and keep yourself as warm as possible that way your blood will be easier to draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi OP, firstly, this isn't a vegetarian issue, it's a personal issue. I really don't like for people to associate ill-health with vegetarianism/veganism. I am always saying it on here but honestly eating a varied and balanced diet is on you. Eating a varied and balanced vegetarian/vegan based diet is healthy, no doubt.

But I do empathise with you because I have my own struggles with food, but again I do want to make it clear that has absolutely nothing to do with me being vegan. Basically I struggle to eat enough, to look after myself, and it's not a food issue, it's a mental health issue. I just happen to be vegan as well. There is no association.

But food and looking after myself in general is something I'm putting a big effort into at the moment. I've been going to counselling and honestly I think you should too, you need to talk to someone. Food and sleep are so so important, if you don't have those sorted out in your life, everything else falls out of place. They are what you structure your life around, and structure is so important, for your studies too. It's clear you are not able to do this on your own, and that's ok. But seriously the sooner you go and get help the better. I mean I could give you all kinds of advice about what food is good for tackling anaemia, but that isn't the root cause. Is there any student counsellor at your school? Maybe you could start doing some things yourself, keep a food diary, this will give others the best opportunity at helping you. I could give you lots of advice I learned, but honestly I don't think it compares to going to someone yourself, plus you don't just have food issues, you have some phobias too. Right now you're focusing on your needle/wrist phobias and probably stressing out about the possibility of having to have blood taken. Honestly put that aside for the moment, I think it's much more important you go to talk to someone that can set you on track to eating healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Thread Locked

OP you got your answers now, this is not a vegetarian issue, you have a diet issue and a phobia issue, because of personal issues. You know yourself your diet is appalling so I don't think there's any point in anyone dishing out diet advice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement