Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Eccles Street, beside Mater Hospital

Options
  • 25-05-2014 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm moving to a quiet street, to a 2 bedroom apartment, just beside the Mater Hospital, off Berkley Road.

Just trying to gauge the general opinion on living here?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

general opinion to what?

busy safe street, little chance of parking and thats about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

general opinion to what?

busy safe street, little chance of parking and thats about it

Just the whole safe aspect. The apartment is located next door to the college of nurses so was hopeful there wouldn't be a lot of trouble or unsavouries in the area

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just the whole safe aspect. The apartment is located next door to the college of nurses so was hopeful there wouldn't be a lot of trouble or unsavouries in the area

I can't imagine it would be a quiet area to live in tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

It's also right beside Mountjoy prison and St patrick's institution...make of that what you will.

chopper6 wrote: »
    It's also right beside Mountjoy prison and St patrick's institution...make of that what you will.

It's the OTHER side of the Mater, the Blessington St Ducks Pond side :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Nelson St so? Should be fine, never noticed much going on there myself.

It's not a safe area IMO...are you from Dublin OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's fine, not perfectly safe like just about anywhere in the city centre, but it's fine. It's fairly quiet from the few times I've hung around there when I'd friends living there.

Your main issues would be parking and how well maintained the building has been.
    ^Incorrect.
    It's the OTHER side of the Mater, the Blessington St Ducks Pond side :)
    ^Correct.

tricky D wrote: »
    It's fine, not perfectly safe like just about anywhere in the city centre, but it's fine. It's fairly quiet from the few times I've hung around there when I'd friends living there.

Your main issues would be parking and how well maintained the building has been.

^Incorrect.

^Correct.

Work nearby and don't drive so parkings not a problem.

Building was recently renovated and completely modernised inside.

Now I'm really looking forward to moving :)

Cheers for your input

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Everywhere in Dublin is safe for people who take the normal precautions for living in a city.
    Some people must be very sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

so it isnt exactly on eccles street? where you describe by blessington basin/blessington street is still fine enough location wise. Has alot of junkies around though but harmless, due to a hostel on nelson street.

Would be a safe area, plenty of shops around, few minutes into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Great area - 2 minutes to O'Connell Street in one direction and within walking distance of places like Phoenix Park and the Botanic Gardens in the other. It's ridiculously convenient for everything, apart from possibly the DART.

Have never had any hassle at any time but it's a properly mixed neighbourhood, so you get all sorts.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Great area - 2 minutes to O'Connell Street in one direction and within walking distance of places like Phoenix Park and the Botanic Gardens in the other. It's ridiculously convenient for everything, apart from possibly the DART.

Have never had any hassle at any time but it's a properly mixed neighbourhood, so you get all sorts.

That's great to hear, cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

?

Do you think the entire population of both institutions are all from the area or something?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

?

Do you think the entire population of both institutions are all from the area or something?:confused:

Perhaps they meant the area would be super-safe, with all the police involvement.

?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Watch out for dodgy Catholic priests from St Josephs Church ,Berkeley Road ,trying to chat you up .

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps they meant the area would be super-safe, with all the police involvement.

I didnt...i used to go out with a girl who had a flat across from St pats...the place was crawling with scum either on visit,waiting on lifts after being released or trying to chuck drugs in over the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I didnt...i used to go out with a girl who had a flat across from St pats...the place was crawling with scum either on visit,waiting on lifts after being released or trying to chuck drugs in over the wall.

We are talking about a street a large block and almost half a kilometre walk away, with a lot more activity not right beside as you keep on erroneously going on about.

It's the other side of the Mater, 5/10 minutes walk from the Joy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

anto9 wrote: »
    Watch out for dodgy Catholic priests from St Josephs Church ,Berkeley Road ,trying to chat you up .

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.R.

Nelson street is fine. Friend used to live there, never seen any trouble. You can meet few junkies but they are harmless. Quiet convenient place to live in, though you might be waken up by police cars and ambulances.

S.R. wrote: »
    Nelson street is fine. Friend used to live there, never seen any trouble. You can meet few junkies but they are harmless. Quiet convenient place to live in, though you might be waken up by police cars and ambulances.

Cheers :)

tricky D wrote: »
    We are talking about a street a large block and almost half a kilometre walk away, with a lot more activity not right beside as you keep on erroneously going on about.

are 'we' indeed?

read my post...I said I used to go out with somebody who lived across from st pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Paul Kimmage grew up in Eccles st in his formative years.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

Lived on Nelson Street a couple of years ago. Thought it was great. really close to town, and then you have all the takeaways on Dorset Street if that's your thing and Matassa chipper on Mountjoy street is one of the best around. There's a big Centra on Mountjoy Street which is handy for picking up bits and pieces and Phibsborough is just a few minutes walk away with a Tesco too.

You'll get the odd junkie and drunk hanging around, but I never had any hassle, even on my late night / early morning stumbling home from town. It's quite busy during the day with the hospital / nursing school, but is pretty quiet at night. The only reason I moved is because I was in a basement and I fancied some natural light. There will be a bit of noise from sirens from ambulances / guards, but not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

It's not quiet around the area. Don't take that wrong way. What I mean is it's pretty much near main roads so it won't be quite noise wise at times.

Junkies aren't actually much of an issue, if ever. Neither are trouble makers really.
    You just need a bit of common sense. If there's a match on, especially in the stadium in Phibsborough (Dailymount Park), you might not want to wander around when the match is over since there are usually crowds at times which can contain generally nasty people out for a fight.

Honestly, it's a fine place to live in. You just need a bit of common sense that anyone living in the city would use. It's far from dangerous or anything. As I said, if it's gonna be a busy night, like a match night or the world cup final, don't go roaming around at night unless you're well used to the city.

As from the ducks pond: straight down Blessington Steet, down North Fredrick Street and you have yourself in town. Just over the bridge is the southside and Grafton street is about 4-5 minutes away.
    Around the corner from the pond is the centra as mentioned, just down the road (come down Blessington Steet and turn right) walking towards North King Street is a 247 spar (or centra; forget which), Phibsborough is about 5 minutes away with a Tesco and a few take aways.

All in all, it's a grand place to live.

Great stuff guys, really appreciative of all the positive comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think anywhere Phibsboro or Drumcondra is handy enough to the Mater. (you get scumbags everywhere )
    That chipper beside the berkley does do a fine bag of chips..
    Blessington basin is a hidden gem of dublin!

• Advertisement

petronius wrote: »
    I think anywhere Phibsboro or Drumcondra is handy enough to the Mater. (you get scumbags everywhere )
    That chipper beside the berkley does do a fine bag of chips..
    Blessington basin is a hidden gem of dublin!

Addcited to that chipper now! :D

The Basin is absolutely beautiful, especially on days like this!

Advertisement