Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on negotiating house purchase

Options
  • 25-05-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks

I would be grateful for your advice / opinion.

We are in a position where we can choose 1 of 3 houses which have all been for sale for 3+ years. Each house has its strengths and weaknesses but they would all be perfectly fine. Houses in the area are not going up or selling yet.

Can we use the fact that we have several options to drive a better deal with the various auctioneers / vendors?
    As all these houses have been on sale for a while should we bid below the asking price? How much 10%......20%.....more?

I'm not a good bargainer, In buying I'd tend to look for quality/value and either pay the asking price or walk away. With this I'm tempted to ask the auctioneer who has sold our house to negociate on our behalf? Is this daft?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

IMO getting an auctioneer to do your negotiation might not be the best option, for several reasons!

I presume you are in Clare? If I was in your boat I would identify which house I really wanted, identify the price that you would be happy to buy it at, and put in that offer, ensuring the agent realises it is your first and final offer, that you are looking at 2 other properties, and that you will buy the one that accepts the price you are willing to pay. In theory it's simple, in practice can be a bit messy, but stick to you plan and you will hopefully have success! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

PUT in bids 20-30 per cent less than asking price.
    Look on property price register ,online,
    see what houses are selling in the area for ,
    eg 3 bed semi with garden of similar size.non council house.
    IF house is advertised for 100k, i,d offer 71k.

DO not tell anyone how much money you have to spend.

If you have cash to buy , no loan needed you should tell the estate agent.
    DO not say how much,
    eg i can afford 90k.

Advertisement