Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

job search for mature applicants

Options
  • 25-05-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi,

i recently was made redundant after many years in the work force. I am over 50 and just wondered what was the experience out there for people entering the job search market at that age.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I know several people who have started new jobs well into their 50s. In particular, several now work in very nice receptionist/admin positions, and seem to be really enjoying it. Do you have a particular area of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

I'm really pleased to see this thread. I live in New Zealand at the moment but at the news of an imminent first grandchild I'm very tempted to go home. My family would love if I would but at 53 I'm a bit worried about work. I'm a PA and I do see quite a number of positions but wondered if older women were overlooked now. It's really heartening to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bitstream

Thanks. Good to hear positive stories. I'm hoping for something at a middle or senior level and hoping that there's a market out there that values real world experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jessei

Good luck!

I'ts not that easy.....I'm constantly on jobs sites and sending off C.V.....have applied for internships too.
    (background in horticulture)

The jobs available are in the medical field, and other than that home care, which I am resisting at the moment....

I'm 55, female and out of work since end 2013

Where are you based Jessei?

jessei wrote: »
    Good luck!

I'ts not that easy.....I'm constantly on the jobs sites and sending off C.V.....have applied for internships too.
    (background in horticulture)

The jobs available are in the medical field, and other than that home care, which I am resisting at the moment....

I'm 55, female and out of work since end 2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 jessei

HI

midlands Laois/offaly nothing happening in this area

I have a 3rd level qualification, ....and I could'nt swing an interview for a job as a deli assistant at a petrol station,

as for admin/receptionist jobs....unless you have lots of experience....those jobs will go to the younger applicants.
    there are lots of bright young people with degrees out there who are also unemployed.

and just to depress you a little more....there's no feeling amongst the common people that things are getting better.
    I.T. and food exports. they're the governments pet projects, you will hear alot about those...but that's all...

Can I come to New Zealand : )

Aye I know - I used to live in Laois - and worked in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

Well, I am based in Dublin so unfortunately I'm not sure about elsewhere, but the place where one of the women works (she's actually in her 60s), also hired several other ladies over 50. In her case, she's very welcoming, friendly and sociable, so working in reception is a perfect fit for her. Another family friend (also almost 60), works as a child-minder. She advertises herself on a specific website for all things mother/baby, and she has had SO many responses. She's literally turning jobs down. I think in that case, people value that you have raised children and have as much experience as anyone ever could have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BattyInNZ wrote: »
    I'm really pleased to see this thread. I live in New Zealand at the moment but at the news of an imminent first grandchild I'm very tempted to go home. My family would love if I would but at 53 I'm a bit worried about work. I'm a PA and I do see quite a number of positions but wondered if older women were overlooked now. It's really heartening to see this.

Realistically, where would you be hoping to live?

There's a big difference between the Dublin and rest-of-the-country jobs market.

eg I live in Galway which is doing ok, but only in specific fields (IT, medical devices, computer games support plus the seasonal tourist work) - senior-ish business support roles would be rare enough coming up here, fiercely competed for, and I'd guess usually won by by someone who's related to someone.

We have had some threads here about job hunting and the over 50: in some male-dominated roles, people report a lot of difficulty.

There was some stuff in the media a month or two ago about a big rise in the unemployment rate for over 50-women in the UK - but reading the article a bit
    harder, this was accompanied by a rise in the pension eligibility age from 60 t 65 for women there. What I don't know is if this has had any flow-on effect of people coming home from England.

One thing which I do say to women is that hair dye and leaving your first few jobs off your CV can be beneficial. Sounds like a mean thing to say .. but I'm female in my 40s so feel that I can get away with it ... and it's true.

Something for you to be aware of: in general you won't be eligible for welfare here unless you've been living here for two years, or can prove "habitual residence" in some other way - doing that would need proof of having cut all ties to your former residence, things like paperwork from closing bank accounts, selling property, shipping your effects here would useful. You may not think this is important - but consider what might happen if you got sick and couldn't work. Also, just before you leave NZ, take out travel insurance that allows you to work overseas: even as an Irish citizen you aren't eligible for healthcare here until you're "ordinarily resident", which takes three months.

On the good-news front, Ireland and NZ have a bi-lateral agreement for pensions : time spent working there will count towards contributory pension here, and vice versa. (Bring your IRD number too, because you will eventually need it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Y.Kendellen

Hi, Im in my 40's and also looking for work, absolutely love the hairdye and early job,s :D great thread ;)

• Advertisement

Realistically, where would you be hoping to live?

On the good-news front, Ireland and NZ have a bi-lateral agreement for pensions : time spent working there will count towards contributory pension here, and vice versa. (Bring your IRD number too, because you will eventually need it.)

We'd look at living in Kildare or Wicklow but work in Dublin. We used to live in Laois and travel in every day so that doesn't daunt me.

Cheers for the info on the bi-lateral agreement. That's brilliant news.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Hello, I'm mature (wrong side of 40) and entering job market again having taken time out to raise kids and care for aging parent. My background is admin/secretarial, experience working for NHS and private companies. I have tried to keep up to date skill wise and have sucessfully completed a number of courses. I live near Limerick and plan on registering with agencies. What is it like out there for a mature person in my position?

Advertisement