Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder or quantity surveyor

• 25-05-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

say I have 60k to spend on a house extension/ remodelling, who would tell me what I'd get for the money, a builder or quantity surveyor, ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Hale

Defo qs for starters otherwise you will run in to all sots of hassle builderrs are ok but you cant let them have a run on your budget else they will blow it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks, are they expensive,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

ronn wrote: »
    a builder or quantity surveyor, ?

one has a vested interest the other does not. Unless you know the builder well, they will generally give a ballpark price and you would need to be very clear in terms of inclusions and exclusions whereas a QS can schedule out what you could get for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

QS first, then three quotes from Builders. Compared to spending 60k a few hundred on a QS is negligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Would an architect be better than a QS?
    Thinking of converting a garage to living space and potentially encorporate tiny kitchen to expand living space. Im heading in direction of architect, am I wrong?

Would an architect be better than a QS?
    Thinking of converting a garage to living space and potentially encorporate tiny kitchen to expand living space. Im heading in direction of architect, am I wrong?

Architect will at best give a broad price range based on a cost per m2 which generally in my experience will be under estimated as it will not be based on the specific project

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ashveer

does anyone know good qs in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GWQS

<snip>

draft up a schedule of the works (BoQ) that you wish to complete. This could then be used to obtain and compare quotes from three builders.

The schedule of works could then be adjusted to accommodate your budget prior to appointing a builder for the works, giving security on the budget and what you will obtain.

ashveer wrote: »
    does anyone know good qs in dublin?

post in the looking for a tradesperson thread in the main construction and planning forum and you should get a better response. A Mod might be able to post a link as I am unaware how to do it sorry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Advertisement