Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy Swim - heads up

Options
  • 25-05-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I am doing my first triathon next weekend so to get some open water experience I did the Swim Athy this morning.

It was absolutely exhausting. The current was extremely strong and most people were wrecked when they managed to get out of the river.

I presume that it will be the same next week - so just be aware of it and plan for it. It was far easier swimming along the bank than down the middle and there are also loads of spots that you can stop if you have to (I did!)

In contrast the downstream swim was like I had a engine behind me. I definitely used more energy in the 200m upstream than the 550m downstream.

I reckon that there is a good chance that they might change the course next week. I don't think I would have been able for the cycle etc without a good 5 min rest. The cold and subsequent shortness of breath freaked me out!!!

Best of luck to everyone next week - just take your time - you will get to the turn and then you can float home!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

I was there myself this morning,
    Really was incredible how difficult the upstream swim was, but in saying that I can't see them changing the course unless the current is much stronger next week, I know it was tough but it was manageable, well just about,

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

maybe it was just wishful thinking on my part. Even if they knocked 50m off the upstream it would make a massive difference. Some of the 250m people couldnt even make it over to the start the current was so strong. I have no idea how the longer distance people got on. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Yes it would make a difference, I'd say after this morning they will have a serious look at it and then who knows what will happen next week,
    Ya fair play to the 3000 & 3850 that was some serious swimming, ah well roll on next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

Really glad this thread caught my eye... That was my first time doing a river swim, I just assumed the current was usually like that! It was really tiring. I had heard triathlons are normally half the distance upstream and half downstream, so I was thinking there's no way I'm in shape for the triathlon! I would've need a good five minutes before cycling as well after that. Thanks for the post twenty8

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Did this today. Big shock to the system, the cold and the current was very hard to deal with. I did the 750 m, I started at the back, lot of people seemed to drop out fairly quickly.

Found it very hard to keep my face in the water for any length of time, hard to do a normal stroke.

Didn't think it would be as difficult

Is the current normally this bad/water that cold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

There are criteria that have to be met for swim legs, if the current is too strong then they have no choice but to cancel the upstream section

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Daz1214 wrote: »
    There are criteria that have to be met for swim legs, if the current is too strong then they have no choice but to cancel the upstream section

Does anybody know how that's quantified and if the current flow is inside or outside that guideline. I'm down for my first 3000m.... Growing anxious.

There are specific tests that are carried out but its usually left to as late as possible...will be touch and go if there is much more rainfall this week...goin down myself this week for a swim in the barrow to see what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

I did the 250. Wasn't expecting to have to swim across the river to the start. Does anybody know if this is the same next week for the tryathy. Big shock to the system today thought I was doing ok before that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Daz1214 wrote: »
    There are specific tests that are carried out but its usually left to as late as possible...will be touch and go if there is much more rainfall this week...goin down myself this week for a swim in the barrow to see what its like

3.5cm in total due this week (Mon,Wed,Thur).

Ah, sure whatever will be will be.

Would be great if you could let us know how you get on midweek.

• Advertisement

Will do pal

Sounds like it will be very touch and go for the weekend...usually you get in on the that you start from

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Willo2011

I did the 3850 today and nearly got hypothermia I'd say. My jaw started to hurt from the cold after about 30 mins. The flow was strong but stuck to the bank against it. If anyone is nervous about the flow being strong you should be aware that you can stand by the side of the bank and catch your breath. It's a technique I used and perfected the first time I did triathy. I basically walked the 750m!

Did anyone else think the organisation was a bit shambolic especially for something that cost up to €27.50 I think to do? Some of the things I didn't like were:

1. 3,850 was about an hour late in starting. I was frozen by the time I started waiting in the drizzling rain. Registration was so so slow. Apparently it was the same last year

2. I think there was in excess of 200 people there ready to race and no bathroom facilities (portaloo or other). Swimmers were queuing in the local cafe to use the bathroom. The cafe was not obliged to let us use it. Think that should be sorted for next year. Some basic facilities should be provided for the fee paid

3. There were no coloured buoys at the turning points. There were quite a few turns on the 3850 and 3000 and it wasn't obvious where to turn. Quite a few of us got confused on where to turn and went 50m or more past the end of the ropes. The swim should be set up like the swim would be set up next weekend

Added to the above, I was even more pissed that for the last hour of my bike around Athy today, there was torrential rain. Some of the worst I have cycled in. As I slogged my way through I was cursing the organisers for sending us off an hour late.

Hope they get it sorted for next year. I presume there will be no issues next weekend for the triathlons as it is usually run pretty well (bar limited or no age group prizes which I won't go into...)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Willo2011 wrote: »
    I did the 3850 today and nearly got hypothermia I'd say. My jaw started to hurt from the cold after about 30 mins. The flow was strong but stuck to the bank against it. If anyone is nervous about the flow being strong you should be aware that you can stand by the side of the bank and catch your breath. It's a technique I used and perfected the first time I did triathy. I basically walked the 750m!

Did anyone else think the organisation was a bit shambolic especially for something that cost up to €27.50 I think to do? Some of the things I didn't like were:

1. 3,850 was about an hour late in starting. I was frozen by the time I started waiting in the drizzling rain. Registration was so so slow. Apparently it was the same last year

2. I think there was in excess of 200 people there ready to race and no bathroom facilities (portaloo or other). Swimmers were queuing in the local cafe to use the bathroom. The cafe was not obliged to let us use it. Think that should be sorted for next year. Some basic facilities should be provided for the fee paid

3. There were no coloured buoys at the turning points. There were quite a few turns on the 3850 and 3000 and it wasn't obvious where to turn. Quite a few of us got confused on where to turn and went 50m or more past the end of the ropes. The swim should be set up like the swim would be set up next weekend

Added to the above, I was even more pissed that for the last hour of my bike around Athy today, there was torrential rain. Some of the worst I have cycled in. As I slogged my way through I was cursing the organisers for sending us off an hour late.

Hope they get it sorted for next year. I presume there will be no issues next weekend for the triathlons as it is usually run pretty well (bar limited or no age group prizes which I won't go into...)

Agree about the organisation, must have been standing around for hour and a half altogether, registration was a joke that q to get a number and sign a form, I was freezing before I got to the water

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

The results for SwimAthy are up and make interesting reading. The majority appear to have finished around 22 - 27 minutes with the leader at 12 min. Compared to the results last year in the Tri Athy where the average looks to be around 13 - 16 minutes with the leaders at 7 minutes. http://www.swimathy.com/index.php/results

Obviously the upstream took it out of nearly everyone!

Completely agree with previous comments about the organisation. The registration was a mess - it just needed 2 or 3 more people and it would have been sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 riorio

I did the 1500m swim yesterday and agree on all the points raised re organisation. Especially the lack of bouys at turn around point - why why why ? I had to shout to guy on the bank was I supposed to turn ?!!
    I have been in the river prior to yesterday and still felt it even colder than before.Maybe that was just the hanging around waiting to start.
    My experience of Triathy is much tighter organisation, waves go off like clockwork no hanging around and swim course is well marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GilltownJoe

i did the 1500m yesterday and found the water warmer than I had expected it to be, compared to the sea. I also found swimming up current only a little harder than I had expected.

If poeple are getting worried reading the earlier posts about the swim next week i think if you can do the distance in the pool without stopping then you should be ok. And yes you can stand up along the side.

It was my first open water swim and i was tired at the end but I think there were people there yesterday who were not adequately prepared for it.

Thats usually the way with open water swims, people underestimate them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lazy piggy

Zebrano wrote: »
    I did the 250. Wasn't expecting to have to swim across the river to the start. Does anybody know if this is the same next week for the tryathy. Big shock to the system today thought I was doing ok before that:D

For the 250 you enter the water on the Supervalue side of the river so no need to swim across.

Advertisement